Thread: Latest shooting at Fort Hood Texas.

Default Latest shooting at Fort Hood Texas.

My question is? Does the DOD need to increase the funding for mental health in our military.
    In the case of Spec. Lopez I'm sure we'll learn a lot more about his condition in the days to
    come. What are your thoughts on this tragic event?

It's terrible that this happened, but even more so that it had to happen at Ft. Hood.

I've grown up and lived on military bases all my life, and plan on going in the military as a commissioned officer after school, so I understand the camaraderie military families feel towards each other.

Whenever something like this happens, it's like it happened to your next door neighbor, or your close friends. Despite it's size, the military is surprisingly close knit.

The base I live nearby (Fort Knox) has had it's fair share of tragedies, the majority of which go unreported in the mainstream media...which is unfortunate, because the public's understanding of the mental toll and sacrifice that military members and their families voluntarily submit themselves to is neither understood nor fully appreciated.

It's perhaps a result of this that mental health advocates within the five branches are routinely ignored.

Having served, I think the bigger issue isn't the budget for mental health support (although that could use a boost) but the pervasive stigma about seeking treatment. But it's tricky: there are a number of valid reasons to officially discriminate against members with certain disorders and in certain roles. I really don't want someone with impulse control issues on my Boarding Team, nor someone with depression assigned to my ship.

That said, I think there really is a need to better evaluation of everyone returning from active operations. Too often, the job involved knowingly and repeatedly violating the social norms deeply ingrained into us from birth.

Default Latest shooting at Fort Hood Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post
    Having served, I think the bigger issue isn't the budget for mental health support (although that could use a boost) but the pervasive stigma about seeking treatment. But it's tricky: there are a number of valid reasons to officially discriminate against members with certain disorders and in certain roles. I really don't want someone with impulse control issues on my Boarding Team, nor someone with depression assigned to my ship.

That said, I think there really is a need to better evaluation of everyone returning from active operations. Too often, the job involved knowingly and repeatedly violating the social norms deeply ingrained into us from birth.
    This is true, and to be very very honest...the military isn't a rehab daycare.

I hesitate to say this, because it makes military folks sound unsympathetic and cold (which they are not) but mental health issues are generally regarded in a far different way than they are viewed by civilians. The culture is that of "Have a problem? Suck it up and deal with it."

There is little to no time to be concerned about the hidden issues and unknown mental struggles of those in uniform around you. You're expected to do your job, and follow orders. Those that don't perform, regardless of the reason, aren't cut out for military service. Military service is a privilege, not a right. Not everyone is cut out for it.

That being said, it's still an issue that deserves looking at regardless. Especially as the wars are winding down and things are getting back to a peacetime situation that, in a lot of ways is more dangerous for soldiers.

What amazes me is that with his mental history, he was able to legally purchase a gun. When I bought my 9mm, I had to check the box swearing that I had no history of treated mental illness. Both this individual, and the other nut case who shot and killed soldiers at Fort Hood had purchased their guns at the same store in Texas, Guns Galore. We have the laws to prevent these things, but no data base to record and retrieve information. The little box is meaningless.