Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CEO of Mozilla Resigns

Default CEO of Mozilla Resigns

In what seems to have become the new norm for our day, yet another high profile figure is now out of his job after being relentlessly attacked for the past few days by the intolerance crowd. Specifically this time, it was the new CEO of Mozilla.

Mozilla exec out of job for gay rights intolerance. Some think that

I have, and will continue to support the LGBT community in the past, and have a number of friends that are gay. However, it's getting ridiculous that the new go-to tactic is to bully people who have opinions to the point where they have to vanish from sight. It seems a high profile story like this can't help but pop up ever other week all of a sudden. This is incredibly annoying for me, because in my heart I want the movement to succeed, and I know that eventually they will...but actions like this seem to be simply self-destructive.

Direct quote from the article:

“The whole episode disgusts me - as it should disgust anyone interested in a tolerant and diverse society. If this is the gay rights movement today - hounding our opponents with a fanaticism more like the religious right than anyone else - then count me out.”
    Last edited by Dan09; 04-Apr-2014 at 17:57.

As I have said before the so called tolerant are showing their intolerance.

I am all for gay rights and equality, but this is just plain wrong. The LGBT community needs to learn two wrongs don't make a right.

I disagree. His position is not acceptable. If I started walking around saying that I don't think blacks can marry whites, I hope somebody would beat some sense into me. Imo, this is no different. Hatred and prejudice aren't acceptable differences of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    I disagree. His position is not acceptable. If I started walking around saying that I don't think blacks can marry whites, I hope somebody would beat some sense into me. Imo, this is no different. Hatred and prejudice aren't acceptable differences of opinion.
    I would respectfully disagree. There was no 'shout from the rooftops' from this CEO about intolerance toward gay rights. He made private contributions to the campaign to ban same-sex marriage. He did not bring it into the workplace, he did not make a public spectacle about it. He just made contributions that were in line with his opinion in a private fashion.

What will be next for our society if this is allowed to continue? Many religions argue that same-sex marriage is wrong, are we going to go beat the sense into them? What happened to freedom of speech and freedom of religion?

Will we go lynch the person who says out loud that they have sexual desires for children? Even though they have never acted on said desires and are actively working with professionals to make sure said desires stay repressed?

A slippery slope to face, indeed.

I guess the silver lining is that we're going to stop hearing about it... right?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    I don't agree with this guy, but I also can't allow myself to equate all positions I disagree with to "hatred." Opposing same-sex marriage is not necessarily hatred or prejudice. Nor is it even ignorance, unless you're willing to take the leap and state that all religious people are ignorant of how the world really came into being. There are a lot of different opinions out there, and many of them are deeply rooted. Calling them things like hatred, prejudice, ignorance, etc. is an unproductive and simply incorrect generalization.

That said, when this guy made a donation to this anti-gay legislation, he committed career suicide. One has to expect these sorts of things to come out, and the consequences for public figures have proven to be severe. The mistake here was simple idiocy, IMO. If he'd donated by proxy through one of the gazillion or so Christian advocacy groups out there, he'd have surely gotten away with it.

Ugh. And you thought the way Chik-fil-a was handled was chaos. You unfortunately will not cease from hearing about it. If the ones in the lgbt rights movement stop pretending tolerance means be intolerant to other people's views on the scope of tolerance then progress can be made.

Unlike some Christian religions, mine recognizes scientific facts that homosexuals/bis/etc have the feelings they do through no fault of their own. My religion however, does not believe it is right to engage in homosexual sexual behavior, does not believe in same sex marriage (though at least some of us, including myself, believe in the rights for consenting adults of the same gender to marry), and will not baptize someone actively engaging in homosexual sexual behavior. My religion also disbelieves in tobacco, alcoholic beverages, tea, or coffee. And I stand behind my religion because I strongly believe this religion what God expects us to follow, the same as a large number of religions out there. So my question is will it come to a point where I am not allowed to be a CEO because of my religious beliefs? The civil rights act, which I believe now includes sexual orientation as protected from discrimination still includes religion in that same clause.

I have respect for LGBTs and the community. I have respect for their right to marry. I will make a wedding cake if that is my line of work, for anyone. I will attend a same sex wedding if invited. Are you going to get me to say that it is right to marry the same sex? No. I will stand behind my religious convictions the same way I will stand behind a decision for someone to marry, same sex or not, whether or not I agree to it.

So if having a religious belief, backed by scripture, is intolerant, please neg-rep me.

And people will still say that your beliefs cannot get you fired. This is why we have to fight against these things. This is why we need to make sure that everyone knows that yes, offenses happen in our lives. It does not mean a person should have to resign the position for which they're fully qualified to handle I am really sick of people thinking that because they're offended by something, it means that the person has to lose whatever job and life they have. It's really getting ridiculous. It's much more intolerant than anything these groups preach. I thought that the way that OkCupid handled it was perfect. Put up a disclaimer, because I don't know, maybe people want to know these things. But do not stop the access. That is insane.
    If you're holding out for universal popularity, you're going to be standing there for a very long time. Stop trying to involve the lives of people who work hard. Just because you don't like what they happened to believe. This is all religious bullshit anyway.

Well, incontinentGM24, I agree that a person's paricular beliefs aren't necessarily material to that person's occupation and whatnot, but then we are in a hypersocial era. Or, perhaps, we are in an era of hyper-speed social evolution.

As I see it, there are many traditional institutions that promote antisocial views, and there is also just a lot of ignorance. And I mean ignorance in a simple, matter-of-fact way, not a malicious way. The rapid availability of information and the quick (and sometimes brutal) feedback that information gets are, in my opinion, a net positive. This is an evolutionary function in action, and I think it's taking us in a good direction overall.

Think about our ape-like ancestors. Would I wish any individual in that group to be eaten alive by lions? No, of course not. I'm a compassionate person. But, those are the events that led to our bigger brains, and we're (hopefully!) better off now. If, years from now, we find that ultra-orthodox religions have all died off because their adherents discovered that they were at a severe social disadvantage, isn't that a good thing? I think it is.

You could argue, of course, that this cuts both ways, and the key to avoiding that is lack of censorship. Free speech. Just what we are witnessing here, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Well, incontinentGM24, I agree that a person's paricular beliefs aren't necessarily material to that person's occupation and whatnot, but then we are in a hypersocial era. Or, perhaps, we are in an era of hyper-speed social evolution.

As I see it, there are many traditional institutions that promote antisocial views, and there is also just a lot of ignorance. And I mean ignorance in a simple, matter-of-fact way, not a malicious way. The rapid availability of information and the quick (and sometimes brutal) feedback that information gets are, in my opinion, a net positive. This is an evolutionary function in action, and I think it's taking us in a good direction overall.

Think about our ape-like ancestors. Would I wish any individual in that group to be eaten alive by lions? No, of course not. I'm a compassionate person. But, those are the events that led to our bigger brains, and we're (hopefully!) better off now. If, years from now, we find that ultra-orthodox religions have all died off because their adherents discovered that they were at a severe social disadvantage, isn't that a good thing? I think it is.

You could argue, of course, that this cuts both ways, and the key to avoiding that is lack of censorship. Free speech. Just what we are witnessing here, IMO.
    In other words, do you welcome the idea of me, as amber of, in your definition of "ultraorthodox religion," being forced from a CEO position as a result of my frank, religious beliefs, so that all may "evolve quickly?" Let's set aside the fact that I would have been quite OK working for Mozilla had the CEO been an LGBT, but the reverse would not be acceptable.