Thread: AIO wash before use

Default AIO wash before use

Does anybody know if there is some really specific reason that AIO diapers such as the ones from Dependeco say to wash before use? Or is that just a think they say because they don't want to get blamed for something odd that might have gotten on it while filling your order?

While I don't know for this specific issue, in general most fabrics are treated with all sorts if chemicals that may not be healthy for you.

Pretty much all cloth diapers need to be washed before use. With prefolds, it's common to see recommendations of three or more wash cycles before use. The reason is that cotton has a lot of natural oil in/on it, and it's just not all that absorbent until you get that stuff off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Pretty much all cloth diapers need to be washed before use. With prefolds, it's common to see recommendations of three or more wash cycles before use. The reason is that cotton has a lot of natural oil in/on it, and it's just not all that absorbent until you get that stuff off.
    I agree with what Cottontail said. Also the pick up of any foreign material pickup from the manufacturing process.

the other reason is that most fabrics are usually starched a bit to facilitate sewing. I can tell you from experience, some fabrics are difficult to sew properly without it.

Ok, well it sounds like it doesn't ruin the diaper if you don't do it in the first place. I have quite a few that i didn't do that with, and i was curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    Ok, well it sounds like it doesn't ruin the diaper if you don't do it in the first place. I have quite a few that i didn't do that with, and i was curious.
    I've done that too. Put them on to check the fit and the next thing I know I let go in them. No harm no foul just takes extra washings
    to get the natural oils oil.