Thread: Definition of 'Close Call' -- Meteorite Near Miss of Skydiver in Norway

Default Definition of 'Close Call' -- Meteorite Near Miss of Skydiver in Norway

Last guy out of the plane, the plane actually passes them while in freefall (nothing extraordinary there, I've had it happen to me), opens his parachute and a second later he has a five kilo (ten pound) rock go screaming past at about 300km/h (200mph) less than ten feet away.

Absolutely wild to watch!!!

Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzYJaQ0h4Dg

Found it with English subtitles -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfEdEIwhj6s

If it genuinely is a meteorite and not something carried up by the plane or caught up in his chute, that's an amazing clip. Not read anything giving measurements yet, so don't know where the 5kg comes from (nor the speed), but would be extraordinary were it confirmed dark flight.

Quote Originally Posted by philder74 View Post
    If it genuinely is a meteorite and not something carried up by the plane or caught up in his chute, that's an amazing clip. Not read anything giving measurements yet, so don't know where the 5kg comes from (nor the speed), but would be extraordinary were it confirmed dark flight.
    A few things to note--he was the last jumper to exit the airplane which immediately nosed over to get to the ground and passed him on the way down. He is therefore the highest altitude object out of that aircraft. As for whether or not it could be an item caught up in his chute, there are several reasons this is extremely unlikely: first, getting something that large packed into your chute is impossible. The material barely fits into the deployment bag that is in the rig, the meteorite going past him is roughly the same size as the material and deployment bag itself.

Second, speed can be calculated by the distance the meteorite covers in frames of video, especially knowing that the video is run at 30 frames/sec. The range estimated for the speed of the object is between 250-300mph. If the meteorite is further away than the 2-3m quoted in the video, then it is even larger and traveling faster. With all that said, if it was something he had on him anywhere, it could not accelerate to the speed seen in the video from the speed he was doing on deployment (less than 120mph). There is no way he could have been traveling 250mph on deployment, if his parachute survived it would have killed him, more likely would have been that his parachute shredded from the stress.

Knowing the sport and the physics behind it, I find it really hard to consider it dropped from the plane or carried up with him.