Thread: The "test from hell" went quite well…

Default The "test from hell" went quite well…

I was dreading this test right from when my consultant said I needed to have it done.

Defaecating Proctogram - in layman's terms they fill your bottom with barium paste [rofl! good job I am watching what my keyboard corrects words to, otherwise pasta would be involved!] (and depending on what they are looking for, they may also fill the vagina (my test said they would do that, that was actually the bit I was dreading - I mean how on earth do they get it out afterwards?!)) and you have to poop it out on a commode whilst they take xrays. They also give you barium meal to drink 30 minutes before the test.

Yes, I imagined a room full of students watching me take a poop whilst they also took "pictures" (xrays) you see the letter warned that there would possibly be students present.

Anyway, to my great pleasure, the consultant performing the tests was exceptionally considerate and pleasant, he insisted that it was just him and his assistant female nurse when performing the test. He also decided there would be no need to place the paste up my fluff, for the particular investigation that he was doing.

They have never had to perform this test on someone who cannot walk or transfer on their own before so they had to improvise and allow Simon to stay in the room to move me around (wheelchair to bed for paste insertion, staying on the bed to get to the commode as I could not get across the room otherwise, and bed to commode, then finally commode to wheelchair)

The actual test wasn't as bad as I thought, the consultant was facing away from me and looking at the screens, so I was not being "watched" at all. It was actually quite fascinating to watch my body poop. (Not being a freak of course, I mean watching my body move from the inside)

As for the results, he couldn't give a diagnosis of the problem as that isn't his part of the job, he reports on what he sees and my poop consultant (it's actually a pelvic floor clinic that my urology consultant joins up with for joint continence) then makes an informed diagnosis…

However, he did say that he could see a considerable prolapse, and that a large part of my colon that should be relaxed and straight (almost vertical and practically in line with my anus) when I am pushing out poop, stays highly constricted and at 90° to my anus… (no idea how this is affecting my continence issues and why it is not playing the poop game! Lol)

So, yes - there was actually nothing to worry about with the test, I got myself far too worked up for nothing.

Thankfully he allowed Simon in the room for the test, otherwise the arduous journey and £20 petrol would have been for naught. I say arduous because it should have taken 45 minutes and it took 3.5 hours thanks to a milk tanker falling over onto the central reservation on the M6 and "spilling its load". *sniggers*

Long delays after milk lorry overturns on the M6 « Express & Star

If anyone else ever has to have this test and you want the "TMI/graphical version", please pm me.

Best wishes,

Vimes x

CaptainVimes,

It seems that you came through your ordeal in good humor (or humour, as you might spell it). I had your test about 18 months ago, so I can relate to your experience.

I have a bad leg and had difficulty getting up and down the steps to the commode for the video X-ray (it was up on a platform with four steps) with a bottom full of barium. Also, as I am bowel incontinent and have very little sphincter control, so there was a real need to get me up on the commode FAST. So I had an entire room full of technicians to help me!

I cannot imagine having to do it from a wheelchair. Good show for you and Simon.

Afterword - I had expected that they might offer an enema to help get rid of the barium afterward, but they did not. Of course I pooped my diaper with barium as I was trying to drive home. I was not happy.

--John
    (in Virginia, USA)

I'm glad your tests went well and were not as invasive as feared. The journey must have sucked though. I heard about that crash on the M6.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinvirginia View Post
    CaptainVimes,

It seems that you came through your ordeal in good humor (or humour, as you might spell it). I had your test about 18 months ago, so I can relate to your experience.

I have a bad leg and had difficulty getting up and down the steps to the commode for the video X-ray (it was up on a platform with four steps) with a bottom full of barium. Also, as I am bowel incontinent and have very little sphincter control, so there was a real need to get me up on the commode FAST. So I had an entire room full of technicians to help me!

I cannot imagine having to do it from a wheelchair. Good show for you and Simon.

Afterword - I had expected that they might offer an enema to help get rid of the barium afterward, but they did not. Of course I pooped my diaper with barium as I was trying to drive home. I was not happy.

--John
    (in Virginia, USA)
    Yeah, I farted barium for the rest of the day lol

The commode I sat on was one step but my legs won't lift on their own (no matter how much I consciously beg them to) so when Si guided me back to where the step was and supported my weight, the nurse had to lift my feet up onto the step. Heheh

*hugs* to you for having to have it done also

PS. Thank you for allowing for the English spelling of the word, that was really nice of you to be so thoughtful