Thread: possible ibs ?

Default possible ibs ?

Ill try not to bd to graphic, but I figured I could ask thoughts on this situation I find myself in.
    A few times last year, I had some pretty bad cases of diahrea, it would start out with my stomach hurting for some hrs then rest of the time would just be spent running for the bathroom. These instances would last 2-3 days. This happened 3 times last yr and once so far this yr(right now) needless to say during these times I go thru twice as many diapers as normal, for someone who isnt used to having accidents like this, it sucks. Im sure its related to what ive eaten the day before it starts. At first i thought maybe salmonella but think that lasts longer. Since the things I ate all these time its happened were different, I was thinling maybe slight food poisoning or maybe ibs. The first time it happened I tried to make french onion soup. The second time it was judt cheap instant soup, I forget the third time. This time around it was french toast for lunch then chicken for dinner.

Most of the times its happened I was lucky and either had days off(the first time) or stayed home. Since im currently unemployed its easy to stay home. But today I thought I was fine so I went out to pay some bills and turns out I was wrong cuz it ended up having my first true accident in a very long time. Thats why I wanted to ask for sime thoughts on this.

For starters, keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat and drink and see if there are common foods such as dairy, eggs, nuts, etc. that you eat the day of or before you have diarrhea. You might have an allergy or be lactose intolerant. I have a friend with lactose intolerance and he has similar symptoms to yours. If you do find a commonality, either avoid that food or, if you can, see a doctor for allergy relief.

Also, make sure you are cleaning your dishes thoroughly and with hot water. Food residue can cause problems like you described as well.

Most important, keep yourself hydrated when you're having diarrhea so you don't become dehydrated. Gatorade (not the red kind, I'm told) and Pedialite are good for that. I had a "problem" the other day and I have no idea what I ate or drank because no one else got sick. Six hours later, I was fine.

There could be a number of bowl, lower intestine problems, some of which are serious. The only solution here is to see a doctor.

forgive me for interjecting this, but there is a fine point that so far has not been touched on....
    on your personal page, you say that, and i quote;
    "a werelion thats diapered 24/7 and drinks good beer"

if that statement is meaning that you are in diapers around the clock, then the importance of personal-hygiene must not be overlooked as one possible contributing factor.

Good point littlelodgewrecker, im not diapered 24/7 but pretty close to it, that is at least when I have a good diaper stash. Im pretty good about taking a lot of showers tho. Even when im diapered 24/7, I mostly use them for wetting altho after today I can understand why being bowel ic would really suck

Quote Originally Posted by nikthewerelion View Post

By Mayo Clinic Staff
    Digestive Health

The signs and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome can vary widely from person to person and often resemble those of other diseases. Among the most common are:

Abdominal pain or cramping
    A bloated feeling
    Gas (flatulence)
    Diarrhea or constipation sometimes even alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea
    Mucus in the stool

Like many people, you may have only mild signs and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. However, sometimes these problems can be disabling. In some cases, you may have severe signs and symptoms that don't respond well to medical treatment. Because symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome can occur with other more serious diseases, it's best to discuss these symptoms with your doctor.

For most people, IBS is a chronic condition, although there will likely be times when the signs and symptoms are worse and times when they improve or even disappear completely.

You probably wouldn't be considered as having IBS at this point...

As others have said or could have developed sensitivities to some foods or additives in the food.

Food diaries, elimination diets, and proper food handling from storage, cooking, and hand washing may help you to figure this out or eliminate it...

You may also mention this to your doctor to rule out bigger issues coming...

Remember too, stress can cause a myriad of gastric disturbances...

Excesses in processed foods, fats, sugars, alcohol, preservatives... will likely cause problems...

Well... here

Diarrhea is inconvenient, unpleasant, and happens to nearly everyone. Of all reported illnesses in the U.S., diarrhea is the second most common. The average adult has diarrhea four times a year. ..."

Everyday things such as food, medication, or stress can cause diarrhea. However, diarrhea sometimes may signal an underlying medical condition. If diarrhea keeps you running for the toilet, read on to learn about some common triggers and how you can cope.
    Take care,

Definitely keep a food diary and try to pinpoint what triggers it. In my case, dairy is a big issue. I'm not lactose intolerant but I am intolerant of casein which is dairy protein so I need to avoid many of the same things that lactose-intolerant people have to avoid.

Also make sure your kitchen is scrupulously clean and hygienic. Any uncleanliness in your food-processing can cause bowel problems due to bacterial infection.