Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr Phil Takes on ABDL

Default Dr Phil Takes on ABDL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUR4buL8Beg Part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ9AXgGqAbo Part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7OxQhUcNuc Part 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-xWn81W2Po Part 4

This is very interesting. Dr Phil pointed out a lot of good points. Something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by PaSS; 03-Apr-2014 at 18:03.

PaSS

Wow. It always does "stun" / "amaze" me when I see somebody who is taking any "life-style" to that extreme.
    I can not see it as anything healthy in that regard and it doesn't matter whether it is ABDLism, BDSM, or any other "Kink-Lifestyle" (or whatever you want to call such a thing).

Whilst I am no big fan of any of these TV Shows and televised outings and I am well aware that stuff gets "painted" in a more sensationalist fashion to get viewers, I still don't see that a lot of really good can come from such extreme life-style choices.

It is usally when people take any such thing to such an extreme point where they might create short-term happiness but in the really long run do probably a lot more damage than good (to themselves and their close social circles).

I think "dR. Phil" handled it thogh quite neatly... it's pretty much standard basic easy digestible watered down psychology stuff... not really wrong, not really helpful, not harmful either.

While in general I agree with you EP01, I am not so sure about the last point you mentioned, about not being harmful. We know of people who take it to this level, 'normal functioning' members of society mostly don't. In this way, a portrayal like this creates a frame of reference which is not representative, as most of us don't engage in AB practices the way he does. Just my thought...

I just skimmed these, because it's like a 15 minutes each part. I don't have that kinda time, especially since I have to play HALO. But in part 4, two things this "Phil" character says, I think need addressing.

1, "you choose to do it, you can un-choose to do it." If this is true, someone is holding out on me, and that needs to change. IMHO, you cannot just un-choose where you are in life, as much as you would like. trying to get me NOT to like wearing is about as helpful as telling me I should try and be taller. Unless you have something helpful, this is not a useful thing to say.

2. "You shouldn't settle for anything less than a fully functioning partner." OK, well, that only is this is the extreme case, and lots (percentage wise) of ABDL are fully functioning partners in a relationship, so I take it a little personnel, when I perceive that any ADBL tendency is not OK in a marriage. Which isn't excatly what he said, but how I took it.

I can't ever watch these. I tried, but I was wincing at some parts and ultimately had to close it. I can't really understand the want to go public with this interest, but people differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Astatine View Post
    While in general I agree with you EP01, I am not so sure about the last point you mentioned, about not being harmful. We know of people who take it to this level, 'normal functioning' members of society mostly don't. In this way, a portrayal like this creates a frame of reference which is not representative, as most of us don't engage in AB practices the way he does. Just my thought...
    Astatine,
    I think in the last segment of the Show "Dr. Phil" mentions a few things that may sound "harsh" and will eventually contribute to her leaving him - and yes in that much it would probably cause the guy some emotional harm.
    BUT it is actually this very part of the statment... I can not quote it verbatim, but along the line of that she should not Expect him to change as he doesn't have that desire and also that she has a right to have her own needs met, a "right" for a partner who supports her as much as she does him, etc... and that is true.
    To me - the girl whilst she clearly loves the guy has indeed been "sucked" into a role that isn't leading to any fulfillment and doesn't have a very positive outlook... so it would indeed be time to re-evaluate that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Astatine,
    I think in the last segment of the Show "Dr. Phil" mentions a few things that may sound "harsh" and will eventually contribute to her leaving him - and yes in that much it would probably cause the guy some emotional harm.
    BUT it is actually this very part of the statment... I can not quote it verbatim, but along the line of that she should not Expect him to change as he doesn't have that desire and also that she has a right to have her own needs met, a "right" for a partner who supports her as much as she does him, etc... and that is true.
    To me - the girl whilst she clearly loves the guy has indeed been "sucked" into a role that isn't leading to any fulfillment and doesn't have a very positive outlook... so it would indeed be time to re-evaluate that choice.
    The guy was a member here for a time, she did end up leaving him shortly afterwards. He then went on to claim he found a "family" that would baby him 24/7 and he'll never need to have a job.

I forgot if his brother also signed up and said he's outcasted from his family. But that might of been "Baby Stanley" from Nat Geo's Taboo episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    The guy was a member here for a time, she did end up leaving him shortly afterwards. He then went on to claim he found a "family" that would baby him 24/7 and he'll never need to have a job.

I forgot if his brother also signed up and said he's outcasted from his family. But that might of been "Baby Stanley" from Nat Geo's Taboo episode.
    well i am glad for her...

I used to bad mouth Dr. Phil for the longest time, but this is the first full segment I've watched of his and I have to say he handled it quite well given the situation presented to him. To be honest, while I understand that this guy is a fairly poor representation of an average Adult Baby since he is attempting to live the lifestyle 24/7, you kind of have to respect the fact that he was trying to spread awareness. No average AB/DL would ever go on a national talk show and express this part of their lives, and compared to some of the crazy ass AB/DL's I've seen go on public television, this guy was pretty toned down and willing to at least consider what Dr. Phil had to say.

Now, as Dr. Phil pointed out, I question this gentleman's motives on actually changing into becoming more of an adult, but at least the guy seemed somewhat reasonable in considering that his girlfriend has needs too and the relationship can't be centered on him. I would imagine there isn't a whole lot of communication between the couple, because it shouldn't have come to a talk show host to enlighten the ABDL that a relationship is a 2-way street. You could almost see the realization spark in his eyes towards the end of the segment, and hers as well.

- - - Updated - - -

well i am glad for her...
    As am I. I'm with Dr. Phil that she needs to worry about herself a bit more. It's just distressing that the AB guy couldn't figure that out until they put themselves in that public forum situation. That was a surefire way to end that relationship rather than work towards improving it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeybravo View Post
    1, "you choose to do it, you can un-choose to do it." If this is true, someone is holding out on me, and that needs to change. IMHO, you cannot just un-choose where you are in life, as much as you would like. trying to get me NOT to like wearing is about as helpful as telling me I should try and be taller. Unless you have something helpful, this is not a useful thing to say.
    I think Dr. Phil was saying he can choose to fully embrace the lifestyle or live it with balance and consideration of his girlfriend. He wasn't referring to the actual enjoyment of acting like a baby and wearing diapers. He was referring to the 24/7 lifestyle. The guy chose that, even if he didn't choose to be an AB/DL. And while the guy may seem utterly selfish, I believe he's just really ignorant, and this show was, hopefully, enlightening to him.

2. "You shouldn't settle for anything less than a fully functioning partner." OK, well, that only is this is the extreme case, and lots (percentage wise) of ABDL are fully functioning partners in a relationship, so I take it a little personnel, when I perceive that any ADBL tendency is not OK in a marriage. Which isn't excatly what he said, but how I took it.
    To be completely honest you should have watched the whole segment because that's not what Dr. Phil was implying. He was mostly worried about all the attention being focused on the ABDL guy rather than having any attention turned towards the GF.

- - - Updated - - -

Astatine,
    Agreed.

Astatine,
    That was the post after mine. I was more thinking about the problem, that tv-shows like this one often are too onesided to give a proper impression of the ABDL-community. And that can be harmful as well. At a first glance, on might think, the show only affects him and his girlfriend. But that's only a partial truth, since certain statements also affect the whole community. Someone watching this show, who has never had any contact with ABDL, is presented with the image, that ABs are selfish, not fully or normal functioning, do this by choice, are asexual, unwillingly to change according to social standards etc. That might be true for him in that very situation, but not for me and many other people.