Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me, or diapers are getting expensive?

Default Is it me, or diapers are getting expensive?

Is it me, or Adult Diapers in particular are getting very expensive? I know the economic reasons why (fuel prices go up, use of plastics and higher regulations against stuff, etc) but it's been about 2 years since i've worn.

There's a lot of new brands of diapers that I've been reading about here and there and I feel so lost.

A case of Bambinos cost $64~ shipped for a case, but those Bellissimos are super expensive, and as far as I can tell, it's only a switch of the landing-zone tape? A case of Abena X-Pluses would run for about the same as regular Bambinos. I got a case of Slip Maxi's for $75~ for a case from the UK (OneClickPharmacy -- which has since shut down according to my research o.O) that one time.

I mean, now all these diapers cost easily $100 USD for a case which i'm finding a bit much for my budget :s I know there are diapers like Tranquility ATN which are cheaper, but with shipping, it puts them in the same price-point as the Abena M4 Premiums (Cloth backed?) on Amazon, and honestly my experience with the ATN's aren't nearly as good as the Abenas.

Are there any AB/DLs who consider themselves frugal and have a tough time swallowing the cost of their DL-interests?

I used to have an IMABDL coupon but apparently it was only working for one year. Am I just out of touch or whats going on?
    Last edited by Lazy; 02-Apr-2014 at 05:34.

I never had this issue and the prices always looked the same to me. Bellissimos have always been expensive so I never gotten them. In fact I got a case of medium Molicare super plus diapers on ebay for $64.99 USD free shipping. That is the cheapest I have ever seen Molicare at for mediums. I never gotten them before except for in free samples because of the cost. I also use cloth to save money. I still survive with my diaper interest so I only need to buy disposables about four times a year and plus I hit thrift stores for some cheap ones and it's rare when I find good ones. Last time I found promise ones and I could tell they were in storage just by how they looked and the diapers were still good. I bought all of them they had.

Not only that, but many have been taking some pretty heavy slides in quality lately. The quality has gone down, but the price has stayed the same (or gone up, in some cases).

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    A case of Bambinos cost $64~ shipped for a case, but those Bellissimos are super expensive
    I assume your paying in Euro's or something because cases cost 88 USD. Back in october they were nearly 100 dollars for 48 for me.

the reason why its cheaper now is due to the misprints and they save you like 5%

Quote Originally Posted by Dan09 View Post
    Not only that, but many have been taking some pretty heavy slides in quality lately. The quality has gone down, but the price has stayed the same (or gone up, in some cases).
    I've also noticed that, it's quite disappointing. Paying more for less seems to be the trend lately for a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by ShAd0w10 View Post
    I've also noticed that, it's quite disappointing. Paying more for less seems to be the trend lately for a lot of things.
    Which diapers have been seeing this trend? I know that Attends used to be highly regarded back in the early 2000's on DPF forums... iirc

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I assume your paying in Euro's or something because cases cost 88 USD. Back in october they were nearly 100 dollars for 48 for me.

the reason why its cheaper now is due to the misprints and they save you like 5%
    Nope, USD in the year 2009/2010

Honestly, I'm happy that Slip Maxi's are much easier to access for the U.S. market, but it's relative when its nearly $40 more than diapers that have better performance.

Although I would still love to get a case of those Slip Maxis, simply for their comfort and perfectness. For $100+, nuh uh, not in my price range. Maybe $75 at the most for that, but obviously the resellers of those specific diapers are running a business. That's fine but, ugh, why am I so poor XD
    Last edited by Lazy; 02-Apr-2014 at 07:56.

These "premium" brands have been quite expensive. Abena has been $60 per case here for 42 or 36 diapers. Bambino is about $65 for 48 diapers, both are shipping included. You aren't receiving free shipping in reality, you are paying a flat rate shipping fee that is included in the price. You can say that at least $10 is paid towards shipping.

Quality down grading has been evident since the 90s. Attends used to be a great diaper that was also still affordable until Attend was sold to PaperPak, and ever since, the quality has been quite terrible.
    This country however has been on a terrible trend in quality, and it effects everything from diapers, to cars. America has been about profit margins, rather than top quality as once the "Made in USA" tag actually meant something.

I, having been an 18 wheeler driver, have seen a lot of what goes on. Just about all physical media is manufactured in Mexico. A lot of manufacturing is done in Mexico. I'm not trying to say that Mexico gives us bad quality, it just goes toward showing companies top concern is profit margin. If you only knew the true costs of making items compared to the price of retail, you'd be quite surprised.

And what isn't made in Mexico, is imported from China. We all hear about the quality of products from China. We all hear about the workers there being paid dirt compared to the actual earnings that some of these companies actually make. Bambino Diapers are made in China. The recent batch of bad products are just proof to this.

To get quality, you have to pay a quality price. That's a choice that you have to make. Our needs as a community require some additional unconventional additions such as prints, thickness, capacity and other things. Most incontinence products are based upon the needs of institutions such as nursing homes and hospitals rather than the actual individual. Institutions are more concerned about...you guessed it, PROFIT MARGINS. Do you actually think that these institutions actually know what it's like to actually wear these undergarnments? No. They want the cheapest possible products to increase their profit margins. Do you think that the companies that make these products actually try their products? No! They dump the diapers into a bucket of water and say this is how much this diaper can hold.

Then we have the whole cloth backed debate, companies think that it's healthier for you because of air flow. These cloth backed diapers are worse and have more cons than pros. Tena Slip I hear is going to all cloth backed and have basically said, "despite these claims, our experts say that it's better for your skin. Isn't the reason why incontinent people wear these thing is all about containment rather than air flow? Just to let you guys know, The American version of Tena has always been cloth backed. If it's anything like the US versions, than Tena in Europe is going to suck as well. The velcro tabs are terrible, they always come off. When you toss and turn in bed the outer fabric gets grabbed and pulls at the tabs, stretching until it fails, if it doesn't fail, the fit is gone and the containment is effected.

It's one thing to have discretion if you are incontinent, but wet pants/beds are another story.

i get prevail PM for around $78 a case and i have seen a couple places sell them for over $100 a case.

but i have also seen other brands that did not hold half as much sell for about the same price when you add up holding power/price per diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    Is it me, or Adult Diapers in particular are getting very expensive? I know the economic reasons why (fuel prices go up, use of plastics and higher regulations against stuff, etc) but it's been about 2 years since i've worn.

There's a lot of new brands of diapers that I've been reading about here and there and I feel so lost.

A case of Bambinos cost $64~ shipped for a case, but those Bellissimos are super expensive, and as far as I can tell, it's only a switch of the landing-zone tape? A case of Abena X-Pluses would run for about the same as regular Bambinos. I got a case of Slip Maxi's for $75~ for a case from the UK (OneClickPharmacy -- which has since shut down according to my research o.O) that one time.

I mean, now all these diapers cost easily $100 USD for a case which i'm finding a bit much for my budget :s I know there are diapers like Tranquility ATN which are cheaper, but with shipping, it puts them in the same price-point as the Abena M4 Premiums (Cloth backed?) on Amazon, and honestly my experience with the ATN's aren't nearly as good as the Abenas.

Are there any AB/DLs who consider themselves frugal and have a tough time swallowing the cost of their DL-interests?

I used to have an IMABDL coupon but apparently it was only working for one year. Am I just out of touch or whats going on?
    Diapers are slowly rising in cost, but I'd say they've only gone up maybe 15% in the last 5-6 years. That's just basic inflation - the price of everything you buy is always going up. Bellissimos are about 50% more absorbent than other Bambinos which is why the cost is 50% more. In the world of diapers, you get what you pay for (unless of course you import - then you're overpaying just to get that foreign brand). ATNs don't even come close to Abenas in quality - and as you mentioned shipping is what often times drives prices up. Sometimes merchants offer "free" shipping - but that doesn't mean they don't adjust the price to compensate for it - they still have to pay for it! That is more correspondent to the price of fuel, logistics, etc. Diapers themselves are pretty fairly priced.

I'd really like to see the price calculations of some of the companies, which is of course never going to happen. But a few months ago I had a boring afternoon and began writing down data of various diapers a have at home (empty weight, absorbancy and price) and over the last couple of days I tried to convert this data into an Excel sheet. Everything is pretty rough though and I don't have the time or the desire to go 24/7 over this, just for some additional points of data. Also you should be aware, that absorbancy and pricing are highly variable, depending on where you buy (I took the prices from saveexpress.de, excl. shipping) or how you wear your diaper, your bodyshape etc.
    But there are some interesting points I came across: The amount of materials used in the final product doesn't seem to influence the price calculation at all. For example, compared to the empty weigt, a Tena Slip Maxi S is more expensive than a Comficare M10 and a Molicare Super Plus M would be one of the cheapest diapers you can get in this regard. Also, diapers like the Attends Reg. M10 or the Seni Trio S/M are considerable cheaper than the highest absorbant diapers, even more so compared to their absorbancy, which is still excellent, despite not being above the 1L-mark.

But, bear in mind, still work in progress and basicly nothing more than playing with numbers.