Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: linux

Default linux

Lately I have found myself obsessed with trying out different distros of linux.

So far I have tried:
    CrunchBang (my fav so far as I have become a big fan of openbox)
    gOS
    DreamLinux
    PearOS
    PCLinuxOS
    Sparky

Right now Im running OpenSUSE(LXDE)

Does anyone have any suggestions on any linux os i should give a go.

Im wanting to try out enlightenment, so an enlightenment based distro would be nice

Well you have not listed:

Ubuntu - probably one of the most main-stream oriented distros, but in my opinion one of the best in terms of competition to windows & Co.

Of Course: RedHat (the free Version: FEDORA)... this is a bit like the dinosaur in the linux-room... has been there forever but has a loyal user base and is pretty close to a standard...

Gentoo... one of the more customizable distros... to the point where it basically is "mandatory" (not really) to build (not as in programming, but as in custom-configuring) your very own kernel. highly tunable in terms of performance.

Linux Mint .... pretty easy on the eye

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Well you have not listed:

Ubuntu - probably one of the most main-stream oriented distros, but in my opinion one of the best in terms of competition to windows & Co.

Of Course: RedHat (the free Version: FEDORA)... this is a bit like the dinosaur in the linux-room... has been there forever but has a loyal user base and is pretty close to a standard...

Gentoo... one of the more customizable distros... to the point where it basically is "mandatory" (not really) to build (not as in programming, but as in custom-configuring) your very own kernel. highly tunable in terms of performance.

Linux Mint .... pretty easy on the eye
    I forgot to say that I have used some of those. Ubuntu was the very first distro I ever used, and second to that was Fedora.
    I didn’t really care for Mint.

I will be looking into Gentoo, I love customizable distro. That was one of the reasons I liked CrunchBang.

I downloaded wattOS last night, gonna give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    I love customizable distro.
    Then you'll want to have a look at Arch Linux!. You set it up however you want :-) and the wiki guides you through everything.

You can have a lightweight, minimalist system, or install pretty much anything you like if you like a more "fancy" set-up. And because you set up the system yourself via the steps in the wiki, once it's installed you should have a pretty good idea of how everything works. It's been great for learning more about Linux, and it's the first Linux distro that I've been able to stick with. It even uses a rolling-release model so there are never new versions of the OS to install -- everything is upgraded modularly. It's pretty cool :-)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_linux

If your brave, might want to give linuxfromscratch a go. It's by no means a practical way to use linux, but it's a really good way to learn some of the lower level nuts and bolts of linux and the userland. By technical definition it's not a distribution but a set of instructions explaining how to put all the pieces together yourself.

Personally I like Gentoo. I've used it for over a decade now, and while I'll occasionally try other distros, I always find myself drawn back to what I know best. Difficulty wise it's actually not bad any more. In the "bad old days" it was quite a bit of effort to install and maintain gentoo, but between the package system and associated tools becoming more polished over time, package QA getting much better, better testing and more focus on sane defaults vs. the expectation that you have to think about everything.. it's a lot easier to use gentoo now then in 2002.

I'm all for learning I really would like to dig my claws deeper into Linux.

I use crunchbang most of the time because if you install anything you have to edit the menus and update it after you install any program.

I really like the open box window manager, is ArchBang any different from Arch or is it just that ArchBang uses openbox.

I'm some what of a newbie when it comes to any Linux based os but I'm slowly learning the ends and outs of it. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

As soon as my data cap on my shitty internet resets I will be giving arch a go.

Gotta hate shitty satellite internet!!

If you just want to try Enlightenment, there's no reason you have to use a distro that has it by default. It's easy enough to add to most distros after install.

Quote Originally Posted by komodokitty View Post
    If you just want to try Enlightenment, there's no reason you have to use a distro that has it by default. It's easy enough to add to most distros after install.
    Thanks for the info looking into it now!

Smile

I really like the open box window manager, is ArchBang any different from Arch or is it just that ArchBang uses openbox.
    It looks like ArchBang is a preconfigured distro, with pre-installed stuff like Openbox. The idea is for people who want to use Arch but want to get up-and-running quickly.

The ("normal") Arch installer just installs Linux (the kernel), a shell (e.g. Bash) and basic utilities. There are plenty of Window Managers and Desktop Environments to choose from (I'm a fan of XFCE, myself). You can install as many as you want.

When installing anything, read the Arch wiki first (in fact, don't try to do anything in Arch without reading it first!). It guides you through everything and will often give you several examples of how most users might want things set up, what settings are available, etc. Follow the wiki and, not only is it surprisingly easy to customise the sleekest, fastest OS that is set up just how you like it, you get to learn how everything works. You only install what you want -- no point in having a million programs and daemons running if you'll never use them.

One of the basic ideas of Arch is to "Keep It Simple, Stupid". So there aren't lots of "helper applications" or GUIs or mysterious services that do things behind the scenes without telling you. But it's very logical. There is usually one way to do things, and that's usually by changing a setting in a text file manually. It's quick, simple and effective for a "techie" who wants to be in control of a streamlined system, but a nightmare for your average user who would rather have everything pre-installed and configured so they can get on to Facebook ASAP.

Once you get to know Arch, it might come in handy for other purposes because it's so flexible. When I get a new printer, I'm going to set up a headless print server running Arch. Because it's modular, I'll pretty much only need to install the kernel, wireless driver, a shell, SSH, CUPS and a few other apps, so it should be lightning quick and much more reliable than the bloated XP print server I used to run.

I'll shut about it now. As you can tell, I'm a bit of a fan :-)

As soon as my data cap on my shitty internet resets I will be giving arch a go.
    Yay! I hope you like it's "elegance" as much as I do! I'm no expert, but feel free to give us a shout if you get stuck with anything.

Gotta hate shitty satellite internet!!
    Satellite internet?! That's exotic! :-)

If you want to try Enlightenment in a prebuilt distro, try Bodhi Linux, I looked at it a few years ago but it didn't play well with VNC. Sabayon may also be worth a look. It's a Gentoo based distro oriented towards media and gaming. I do this stuff for a living so personally I use Xubuntu LTS (currently 12.04) because XFCE is light and fast and the developers are usually targeting either Android or Ubuntu, or I run CentOS because I need RHEL compatibility. I ran various flavors of Suse for years but gave up after KDE 4.