Thread: Asus Eee Box

Default Asus Eee Box

So, I want a new computer, just something for internet and IMing while I am gaming. I am considering either the Eee Box (desktop) or the Eee netbook, I can get both for around 300USD, but the problem is I don't have any room for another screen on my desk. I would not get a gaming rig, because I don't play FPSs that much any more, so I need something cheap. I could probably build a Linux box, but I really like the Eee because it has Windows XP.

I can easily make Windows into a barebones system, which will run much better on 1GB of RAM.

The Eee Box has 1GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, Gigabit ethernet, wireless A/B/G, basic things like that. Nothing special, but its cheap...and I don't have a job. Wondering about your oppinions: should I get the Eee box or Eee laptop, or wait and get a mac (which will be probably take an extra year)?

Butterfly Mage

I just bought an Asus EEE netbook a few week ago and I like it a LOT. Here are the specs on the one I purchased for $369.99:
    -- WinXP
    -- 1 Gb RAM
    -- 2x 60 Gb HD (not sure why it's not 1x 120 Gb, but that's how it is).
    -- Intel Celeron
    -- Ports: VGA-Out, 3xUSB, 1xSD, 1xLAN, Mic-In, HF-Out.
    -- Screen: 1024x600 native. Max = 1440x1050 on external display.

Basically, this little computer is fantastic. The only thing I don't like about it is how the "shift" key is sort of on the wrong side of the up-arrow key. But that's something I just had to live with. You really can't beat the price/performace ratio.

I'd love to get the HP netbook because it looks nicer and the keys are flat on the keyboard, so they are easier to hit.

Butterfly Mage

The thing to know about the HP netbook is that it has no VGA-Out port and only 2xUSB.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGrizzy View Post
    I'd love to get the HP netbook because it looks nicer and the keys are flat on the keyboard, so they are easier to hit.
    I have the old HP mini, personally, the keyboard is sooo much nicer than the rest. I would avoid getting the 9" eee. It's really uncomftable to type on, I've tried and wanted to throw the thing across the room. But it was screwed to the stand. :P XP shouln't be a problem, if you like piracy or happen to have a legit spare copy hanging around.

If you really want to go with tiny computers that can only do the basic of basic then just get a netbook so its at least portable.

If you actually still want to do some "real" stuff yet you still don't want a alienware P.O.S PC then go with this laptop. (Though you might want to get some extra ram for it, due to Vista.)

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS4730-4857 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T3200(2.00GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 2GB Memory DDR2 667 160GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel GMA 4500MHD - Laptops / Notebooks

I would say just go for the laptop I mentioned for the extra 150 bucks or so. But if you really think you can handle what little power netbooks give then go with those.

Butterfly Mage

My EEE is the 10" variety so the keyboard isn't too scrunched up. The netbook is great for web browsing, email, music, and word processing. But it chugs on Second Life and any graphically-intensive application (so it's no good for gaming or CAD).

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    My EEE is the 10" variety so the keyboard isn't too scrunched up. The netbook is great for web browsing, email, music, and word processing. But it chugs on Second Life and any graphically-intensive application (so it's no good for gaming or CAD).
    My HP mini can handle HL easily. But that is about it. No need for anything else fancy is there? Infact, that reminds I bought a bumper pack of like a few top FPSes a while back. There are from th 1997-2001 era. So they might be able to handle a few, or at least Quake II I hope!

Butterfly Mage

Well... my EEE handles Sacred and Diablo-II okay. I suppose some of the non-3D games will work okay on the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator chipset that many of the netbooks have.