Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How strong is the link

Tiburon

Default How strong is the link

How consistent is the link between negative potty training experiences and having an interest in diapers as you mature? Is there any relationship between the two?

Some people seem pretty sure of it but there are also many people (myself included) who have no recollection or strong feelings one way or the other about potty training. We don't know what causes this and while I'm open to this being one of the possible causes, it's a part of a long list.

It's very difficult to get an accurate picture of this issue. Anecdotally, people bring this up from time to time, but the broader population doesn't go around discussing their potty training experiences on a regular basis, so we can't tell if the rate of potty training trauma is higher amongst ABDLs than the population at large.

I personally don't recall any negative experiences potty training, and I was done with it quite quickly. Moreover, given the reality that there are probably many people with negative potty experiences who manifest no ABDL tendencies at all, I think that any connection, if one exists, would only be an alteration of a few percent across a large population.

Lozza1979

My potty training was fine and I have no bad memories of childhood.For some people their liking for nappies is due to childhood experiences that have incurred a psychological imprint through to adulthood, but not me personally.Different things turn different people on and I have always had a thing for wetting and nappies and as far as I'm concerned it has nothing to do with childhood issues, at least not for me.

I don't think it's very strong, or that consistent with all of us as a group. Although, I was still four when I was starting to get out of diapers, mostly due to the fact that we were moving, sister drama issues, I was apparently sick then with diarrhea, they didn't have the time or patience to potty train me properly until I was almost five. I put up the least resistance out of all of my 6 sisters when it was time to train. Though, I liked my diapers, I just knew that it was easier overall, for them at least, to just learn to use the toilet. My early childhood was happy, mid to late childhood is a different story, but...that's beside the point.

It could possibly be that I was kept in diapers for so long that I still like them today (I was a bedwetter so I also slept with diapers on late into my childhood), but it's not that there was a negative experience with training. With me, at least.

I don't really remember potty training. I just have a few memories of getting M&M's when I'd use the potty, but that's about it.

I think it could be possible for some of us, but not the majority. Personally, I don't think my potty training had anything to do with it, but then again I have no memories of it and am just going off of what my mother's told me. (She says I was easy to train, but from pictures it appears it's possible she switched me back and forth from underwear to diapers in the process.)

Quote Originally Posted by ShAd0w10 View Post
    I don't think it's very strong, or that consistent with all of us as a group. Although, I was still four when I was starting to get out of diapers, mostly due to the fact that we were moving, sister drama issues, I was apparently sick then with diarrhea, they didn't have the time or patience to potty train me properly until I was almost five. I put up the least resistance out of all of my 6 sisters when it was time to train. Though, I liked my diapers, I just knew that it was easier overall, for them at least, to just learn to use the toilet. My early childhood was happy, mid to late childhood is a different story, but...that's beside the point.

It could possibly be that I was kept in diapers for so long that I still like them today (I was a bedwetter so I also slept with diapers on late into my childhood), but it's not that there was a negative experience with training. With me, at least.
    You know, I had similar situation (minus the bedwetting.) My first 4 years of life were pretty much non-stop trips to doctors and hospitals around the East Coast trying to figure out what was wrong with my eyes and due to that my parents didn't have the time or patience to potty train me. I was 4 when I started but was nearly 5 before I was done. I never put up a fight about it because I knew it was easier for them if I learned to use the potty so I did. I remember secretly liking my diapers when I was 3 and maybe because I continued wearing diapers for nearly the first 5 years of my life and having plenty of memories of wearing is part of the reason I stil like them.

Quote Originally Posted by gnd567 View Post
    You know, I had similar situation (minus the bedwetting.) My first 4 years of life were pretty much non-stop trips to doctors and hospitals around the East Coast trying to figure out what was wrong with my eyes and due to that my parents didn't have the time or patience to potty train me. I was 4 when I started but was nearly 5 before I was done. I never put up a fight about it because I knew it was easier for them if I learned to use the potty so I did. I remember secretly liking my diapers when I was 3 and maybe because I continued wearing diapers for nearly the first 5 years of my life and having plenty of memories of wearing is part of the reason I still like them.
    Yeah, same here. I had bladder issues, bowel issues, teeth issues among several other smaller issues around that time. That and with some other things going on, potty training just had to wait. I think it was definitely how long I was in diapers initially is what caused me to like them, along with some pleasant memories.
    Last edited by ShAd0w10; 27-Mar-2014 at 01:12.

Hell I can't remember much about last week let alone about my potty training.