Thread: fascination in the commonplace

Default fascination in the commonplace

what is something you were fascinated by either as a youth or now, that is common and ordinary?

when i was younger i was so amazed at the idea of maglev trains, even though theyre sorta common. another for me was plaid (tartan), because i always wondered how all the patterns were made and conceptionalized. the plaid one lingers lol

I help teach some first graders and it always amazes me to see their innocence regarding common or ordinary things. For example, we went to visit an air craft carrier and the kids I was with were more interested in the models of the different boats and planes than the actual planes themselves. They also REALLY loved to watch some fire fighters slide down the pole at the firestation. We got to learn a whole bunch about fire science/safety and all the equipment they used etc. and the kids were most excited over a pole.

I personally can remember quite a few things that were fascinating as a kid and that is common now. Things like cleaning a window (how can you get it so clear?!?!), mowing a lawn, doing laundry, riding a bike, etc. The list can be infinite depending on the age you're talking about. I feel like every common/ordinary thing has to start with a bit of fascination.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKid25 View Post
    Things like cleaning a window (how can you get it so clear?!?!), mowing a lawn, doing laundry, riding a bike, etc.
    Vinegar motherfucker, do you use it‽

Oh how I love that movie.

Being outside in the woods on a warm summer night, just listening.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Vinegar motherfucker, do you use it‽

lmao

Oh the wonders of vinegar...

idk what that is but it seems funny XD can someone elighten me? and yeah children tend to be an interesting phenomena (i cant spell). another thing i just realized i am fascinated with is snapbacks, like how theyre so different from other types of hats throughout history, who designed em, who had the amazing idea to wear it back to front, ect...

Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    idk what that is but it seems funny XD can someone elighten me?
    You mean the picture? It's from Pulp Fiction, a fairly popular film. That particular scene is where Samuel L Jackson and another gentleman (who's name escapes me) are interrogating some people via intimidation tactics. The whole "Vinegar motherfucker, do you use it?" is a play on words from the line Samuel Jackson says which goes "English motha-fucka, do you speak it?!"

I would say more, but I don't want to ruin the movie. Go give it a watch!

Quote Originally Posted by BigKid25 View Post
    You mean the picture? It's from Pulp Fiction, a fairly popular film. That particular scene is where Samuel L Jackson and another gentleman (who's name escapes me) are interrogating some people via intimidation tactics. The whole "Vinegar motherfucker, do you use it?" is a play on words from the line Samuel Jackson says which goes "English motha-fucka, do you speak it?!"

I would say more, but I don't want to ruin the movie. Go give it a watch!
    i'll try, but i have Verison FiOS and their programming is like the radio; force fed loops of certain movies. is it on Netflix? plus i was a sheltered youth so i didnt get to see cool movies like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    i'll try, but i have Verison FiOS and their programming is like the radio; force fed loops of certain movies. is it on Netflix? plus i was a sheltered youth so i didnt get to see cool movies like that.
    I don't know to be honest since I don't have netflix, but you might be able to find it online somewhere for free if you look hard enough. Or you could try a redbox somewhere. Libraries also have dvds you can check out so if you check your local library and ask if they have any at that particular location or anywhere near, they can have it delivered to the local library for you to pick up.