Thread: Finding a Job, after neg rep.

Default Finding a Job, after neg rep.

I had to drop a semester in college.

I have less then 6 months to make enough money to pay for 15 hours of college, or my grace period ends.

The estimated cost of living during those 6 months would be ~450$ dollars a month. I also need minimum of $5000 to enroll.

The city population is 5000.

There is no way to make the said money minimum wage, at 7.25 an hour. (USD)

My parents are not an option.

My roommate let me slide this month, I have less then 30 days, to get the first bit of income.

Finally, I am ADHD, and just begun treatment over a year ago, and just now finally got to a dosage that works, when your 21 with as a male, its hard to afford psychiatrist, or convince normal doctors your not after "money"

I tried working 3-4 Jobs during the pass 2 years, all fired. Mainly for poor organizations skills, and forgetfulness.

My major is Biochemistry, my love is Science, and my life belongs to God.

I would never accept another major, and uncertain how I would move on in the case that I was unable to get back into college, after the grace period ends, my life would take a turn for the worse, and I am not the best at coping with things to say the least.

Most employers look at my app, I drive back a couple days later and they tell me that they don't have an opening, or will contact me "if they are hiring" or some cheesy polite way of saying no.

I suffer from high IQ-syndrome, I made it up, but if you ever met some one like me, you will understand. I always do my best, become easily angered if I fail, and will not indulge in anything that doesn't satisfy me mentally. Combined with ADHD, I failed(1.89GPA) out of college / work taking to long to complete task, and taking courses to hard to complete (with out studying)

However I now have treatment, its not magical, it takes effort that sometimes seems impossible, but I can now accomplish task quicker, and i choose to drop after realizing there was no way to "catch" up this semester and couldn't afford for my GPA to drop lower.

The hardest thing is landing the Job, I know with active treatment, I can secure the position and at 6"2 , 180 pounds male, there are no physical limitations, only thing holding me back is not knowing how to move forward.

I will be checking this thread daily for advice, I ask if you respond, with advice, that you are "wise" with your words, but I will gladly read encouragement as well.

If you would like further information, please drop me a PM, but I really do need some know how.

No brilliant thoughts....yet. But have to put something in here so you don't think you're alone in an echo chamber.

Edit: I get it, since I'm pretty much the same guy minus bad reviews and firings. Tone it down. The self-described "smartest guy in the room" is never popular. A friend of mine said something the other day about interviews.... something like "intelligent, humble honesty about your shortcomings is better than trying to snow the interviewer. They'll see right through it."

Or, as Dirty Harry put it.... "A man's got to know his limitations"

Don't run with this edit. I'll try to come up with something better tomorrow. I just had a couple Rebel IPA's after a hard day, so I'm rambling a bit.

From what you describe, I think your options are limited. If I'm reading correctly, with your GPA being as low as it is, perhaps taking a break from school might be in order. Get yourself some sort of job, move home, save the money and go back to school when you've earned enough.

I've heard of some students living in various buildings at a large university, almost like ghosts, and attending classes. Their only expenses were the classes, books and food.

Does your university have a counselor? Talk to them, or to central administration if there is no counselor. Tell them exactly what you said here, in the following organization
    1. I love my major, I could never study anything else
    2. I have had a problem, but now I'm getting treatment
    3. I can't afford to keep studying without a job. Is there anything you can do to help me?

They will, at the very least, point you towards some job leads, and may even have a work/study type program available. There is also a possibility of loans contingent on improved grades or something of that nature. The vast majority of universities have a vested interest in seeing their students succeed, and if you go to them for help and can present yourself clearly and make a case as to why helping you will WORK (this is critical), they will do everything they can to help.

Edit: one other thing. It is deeply important that you're willing to be flexible. You're on thin ice and in a potentially very bad position. So you should be willing to do a lot, even move into someplace different like cheaper school housing or do ANY type of job if you have to.

Disclaimer: never been in this situation, so this info is second hand.

As has been suggested already, trying to ed-emphasize or hide your past negative work experience and poor grades is probably not the way to go. They will find out, and then it's game over.

You might actually be better off focusing more on them in the interview. Treat it as something you are trying to overcome more than some incidental piece of history that they need not worry about. Show that you are taking ownership of it. If you've done anything that shows progress in this regard bring that up. You mention poor organizational skills... have you done anything to improve them (besides being on medication)?

Someone who has seen the other side and is trying hard to avoid it can make a better employee than someone with a clean "record", and some employers will recognize this.

I fit your description completely. ADD, degree in Biology, chronic problems with staying on task and following up on details.

1) Get your basic life needs covered; three hots and a cot.

2) look into financial aid and counseling at the school for ways to get back on track.

3) then look at getting back on you education plans.

Break the tasks into little sections and then take it one day at a time.

Also look around the school for job boards and community opportunities. The counselors will probably have the connections that will be able to help you.

I wish you the best of luck.

The other thing you might consider is online collage options. Most of those places are transferable to brick and mortar colleges when you are ready to go back to school.

Well, in college, you're going to have to actually study to pass your courses. If you're not willing to put the work in, why should they pass you? I realize that you likely got through elementary, middle, and high school without much effort, but things are different in college. Perhaps now that you are on a better medication you will be more able to put the effort in. But I find it contradictory to say that you do your best, but you then say you do not study. Is that really your best?

I also realize that tasks that aren't mentally stimulating are fully uninteresting to a more cerebral type of person, but a job is a job. You could probably work at a grocery store for about $10-13 an hour. I know it's not very sophisticated, but that's just something you've got to deal with. Beggars can't be choosers in this economy. Just put the effort in. I think that's the problem here. You grew up getting the same results as others without any effort, and so now you have no idea how to work hard. This isn't exactly your fault, because self-discipline is a skill, not a trait. I'm not sure you've learned this skill. I think that you could develop self-discipline, which is extremely important to you considering your ADHD. Just because someone has a mental illness doesn't mean they can't ever learn techniques to handle it. Self-discipline would be a lot harder for you than someone without ADHD, but at the same token, it would be a lot more important for you, too.

So if you're willing to grow and change into the best person you can be, it's time to buckle down and work your ass off. Don't be picky about your jobs, explain to your new potential employer that you are taking medication that's been helping better than in the past, and then if given the chance, show them how hard you can work. Some other job ideas could be customer service types of jobs (like phone tech support), construction, health care (I worked in a nursing home without a college degree), a factory job (they pay surprisingly well), clerical work, security guard work, or retail. I know a lot of people who have started out at 12 an hour while working as a cashier in a store. 7.25 is the minimum, but hardly anyone actually pays that low.

Without the college degree and with a situation where you need work soon, you aren't going to get to pick a mentally stimulating job. It's possible, but it's just highly unlikely. It's fine and dandy to play your own mental games while working less than thrilling jobs, though. For example, make sociological or psychological observations about your cliental, busiest days, co-workers, or come up with creative techniques for improving productivity. That's what I did during my jobs. At the nursing home, for example, I observed and experimented a bit, and then developed a technique that worked for dealing with Alzheimer residents who were experiencing negative delusions or hallucinations. So yeah, you don't need to just mop the floors and keep quiet. Your internal experience is really what you make of it.

Good luck to you!

Someone once told me that there is a time for everything in life - and if that time isn't right now, you might have to re-focus to stuff that can be achieved and work it from there.

Whilst I really understand that you have a desire to complete your science major and do not really want anything else - it simply might not be the right time according to the other circumstances in your life at the moment.

When I moved out at 15/16 I worked several low end jobs, finished basic school and went through different professions before I was in a position that allowed me to achieve one of the things I wanted: mechanical engineering. I had enrolled in evening university classes - and worked during the day... until I finally had my masters in mech. engineering.
    But before that as mentioned I had worked several different jobs and no school / college at all during that time - it simply wasn't something that would have been realistic. At first I barely made enough to stay alive - and I mean this with a rather poor life in mind that sometimes didn't put enough food on the table throughout the week... I fell asleep at night, dead tired after another too long day of work, often enough still damn hungry.... I got kicked out of places where I was renting because I couldn't bring up the rent... but somehow I always kept my head high and soldiered on. I could have called upon my parents - but it was just something I simply couldn't pull off (complicated family history to some degree), I couldn't have lived with this.

It was during that time where I first started to work on motorcycles and cars - always was mechanically inclined from an early age on - and I knew my way around engines and stuff... that soon led to a hired position and good work.
    But after some time the work conditions weren't ideal - the company where I worked at got sold and the new owner was the very definition of an arse. Also I easily get bored if my daily tasks are too repetitive and without challenge.
    Through a friend I signed up for formal training as a paramedic & ambulance driver... as I already had a license for larger vehicles it was an easy thing, and thus I started on-job training in that field.
    Whilst it was a VERY interesting work, paid "OK" and was a real challenge it was also very taxing and the often feel of not being able to help due to limited ressources, time etc and seeing how an effective two-class medical system favors the few who hold premium money over time really did it to me... It was at first reason enough to start working part time and I picked up evening classes in mech. engineering.... didn't finish at first because I first got an option sign up for a volunteer (no pay - but food and roof over a head) medic-aid in a third world country. Now that was an experience. harsh - damn harsh - but honestly it has been probably one of the best experiences ever (mildly put, it really puts problems into a new perspective). after that gig I went back and worked at a friends motorcycle garage day time and finished the mechanical engineering...
    And then opened up my own company - which has proven to be the right decision business wise.
    And I'm not sixty... I'm 34 that's been 19 years of work...

And certainly studying - getting a masters or whatever along WORKING isn't easy... and it doesn't get easier when you get older and probably have other responsibilities to take care of as well... so sure thing, if you can finish your studies in aone "stride" - it's good... but if it isn't possible - Look for other options.

To me problems are always multi-faceted - there's always more than ONE angle of attack that can lead to success... there's always more than one way to walk, more than one road to take.

Along my road so far I've done a lot of crap - and I've experienced immensely good things too... I'd say it has been fairly balanced if I recap so far as I'd like to say, a good bit of the good, the bad and the ugly ... and quite a ride.
    To be honest, I wouldn't want to miss ANY of it - not the worst, not the best - all that helped to shape me and I hope there's more of that to come in life.
    In the end, I'm a firm believer that it is just this ONE LIFE I have... I'm not religious, I don't believe in anything like heaven, hell, rebirth, etc... to me THIS is it.. this is MY LIFE and I have an obligation to myself to do with it the best I can and find fulfillment for myself and be here for the people I truly care about. Anything else doesn't really matter to me.

So in your current predicament, if you have to take a break from science - don't fret, take the break. Move outside of your area if you have to, to find work - to a place with more than 5000 people.
    Try to find your skill-set - and apply it.
    The other part, ADHD and getting easily angered / bored ... whatever - it's a challenge you have (we all have our "crosses to bear") - try to find a way to work it, to apply it to something practical. Be open minded in terms of possiblities.
    And then once you've sorted out the immediate problems, you can always get back to studying biochem. science.
    All you will be by that time, is richer by a lot of experiences - and life is about experiences.... don't look at it as wasted time.

good luck and enjoy the ride

If you are not already, you might consider enrolling in a community college instead of the current university. Tuition is commonly much less expensive, and part-time students are very welcome. If you become a part-time student you can work more hours (and talk to the college placement/guidance office) about getting a job in your area of interest or something that pays a decent hourly rate. Being a part-time student will allow you to spend more time per course and potentially improve your grade(s). Eventually you may graduate from the community college (and have a decent gpa) and obtain junior standing to attend the university that you want. Summertime is coming and you may be able to hold 2 jobs while you are not taking any classes. Save your money with the intent of continuing your education.

If you have any fun things to do don't forget to include them occasionally. You might find a girlfriend/future spouse who you enjoy being with. If she shares your objectives she may help you thru school both financially and scholastically. Above all, keep an open mind and be flexible. Keep in touch here occasionally. It would be really interesting to re-read this thread five years from now and see how you have progressed. Good luck and Godspeed.

I am ADHD, and I have diagnosed myself with high-IQ syndrome as well Also, I have been through many jobs and spiritual journeys. I anger easily, and have a high standard for work. If you are like me, your methods are unorthodox, but your outputs are amazing-- make sure you remind your employers of this. You are NOT lazy, you are not "unconcerned," if you are ADHD, you can't say no, because you have no sense of self-- you live in the service of others. You are always late because you do not perceive time the same way others do... if you have 5 minutes to leave, you act as though you have enough time to do anything. You are unable to bring yourself to do a redundant task- a task that you feel is unnecessary(not a bad trait actually). I am just throwing out tidbits from "Scattered Minds," by Gabor Mate. He is a doctor with ADHD who has the most insightful way of describing this that I have seen, which is not a surprise considering he is like us