Thread: These are not the Fabines you are looking for.

Wink These are not the Fabines you are looking for.

Warning, first post. This addresses performance from a DL perspective (or at least my perspective) and doesn't necessarily address the needs of the IC.

So after recently coming out to my girlfriend I've been trying different diapers. So I thought I would try my hand and writing a little review.

This review is by no means scientific, and based mostly on opinion and my experiences.

Like many others I eventually heard about the Fabines, so I got some of these off ebay for comparison.

Here are the diapers I've tried.

Wallgreens/Depends/Store crap brand.
    Wellness Briefs.
    Bambino Belissimo.
    XP Medical Absorbancy Level 4.

I'm going to write about these in order of favorite to least favorite.

First off Belissimos (size medium). The most absorbant diaper I have tried. I have been able to make these leak at night, but it takes a lot of water and/or alcohol the night before to make that happen. I can only say these leak the least amount, so as far as absolute absorbancy, I didn't make a measurement. Unlike the other diapers that swell up to a point, these manage to swell up tremendously, especially in the front. I think, as with any diaper to get max usage, keep yourself pointed down before you pee and these things are amazing. I can get 3 to 5 floods, or 2 or 3 floods and 5 -10 small wetting out of these. The tapes are usually quite strong, stronger than other brands I have tried. The fit of these seems like a half size off. I am a size 40" waist and it only leaves about an inch of overlap on the sides. I have tried a large in these but they are just massive and they leaked easily. So I just wish the mediums were a bit more as advertised (up to 44") but they are on the small size.

Second, Fabino Exclusive (size medium). Yes, you are reading this right. The Fabine's do not hold up to the Bellissimo. I've tried 10 of them now and they just can't match The Belissimos capacity. I took some pictures of these beside the Bellissimos and it's quite odd. They look nearly identical. The tapes especially seem to be identical. I read someone wondering if these two where made by the same outsourced manufacturer, and I wonder that as well. That being said, they seem to fit the tiniest bit better, are a little bit softer, and are cuter than The Belissimo. Still they only hold about 60 to 70 percent of the Belissimo. You can look at YouTube videos of these all you want, but after two floods these things were done. Worse yet, they leak if you pee quickly. They did not appear to absorb as fast as the Belissimo. Just to be sure, I put some on mommy a couple of nights as well, and she agreed, they can't take the load like a Belissimo (which she has also tried). I put them on her because I had to be sure I wasn't imagining things. These Fabines are just so mystical, but no, they are not perfect. On the second flood they would start leaking on both sides where your bottom touches the mattress. Mommy is a lot smaller than me, so after she had exactly the same experience we were scraching our heads. It's good to note that this did not happen all the time, but they did leak more so than the Belissmos. Basically my point here is, don't buy them if functionality is what you are after. The Belissmos win hands down, even if they are not as cute. I think I can say maybe the Fabines have better press out, but they can't hold as much as a Belissimo so it doesn't really matter. I've read some complain abpout the width in the crotch. Well if you hike the edges of the diapers all the way up into the sides of your crotch, you'll create a nice pocket, and they are MUCH more comfortable. That way I often don't even realize I have them on except for the genlte soft rub of them on my bottom when I am walking.

Wellness Briefs. Astronaut technology? what? These are an "ok" diaper. They have leak gaurds, and are thinner in the crotch so they are very comfortable. These were one of the first I tried. Because of the fit, they sag really really bad when they near capacity, causing leaking. They may actually take a little more than the Fabines in capacity, but I can't be sure.

XP Medical Absorbancy Level 4 (size large). Well I would say that, for the money, these are actually not too bad. They are about half the capacity of a Belissimo, maybe a little more. There are no leak gaurds. They clump easily after wetting. You can get 2 good floods in and then you are probably done. The tapes suck and break easy. One nice thing I can say about these is that the sizing is right on, but in all other aspects, you get what you pay for. Still, if you are on a budget, these would work in a pinch. I personally will only use the Bellisimos, by the case, because I think the price/capacity still makes them well worth it.

Store Brands. Garbage. But you knew that. There is no reason to buy them. Even if Belissimo are nearing $2 diaper you can usually manage 6 to 12 hours but nothing I've tried in the store holds more than one solid wetting. Forget flooding. You might get lucky once, but not twice.

Other Notes. I've learned that hiking these things up bewteen your legs seems to be the most effective, almost creating a pocket around your parts and helping to direct the overflow towards the back of the diaper. Even before doing that and just having them around my thighs, the Belissimos leak gaurds worked wonders. It's always a good idea to stay tucked down to get the most out of your diaper. None of the diapers are particularly good at filling the back part of your diaper if you don't stay aimed properly. The worse side effect of not staying tucked correctly is that when flooding, urine will build up, then overlflow over the sides of the diaper even when it's not at capacity.

Anyways, I've been having a lot of fun. Mommy diapers me 3 to 4 times a day as needed, and she tries out the products with me to give me feed back.

I'm interested in some feedback about how the Abenas or other products are. I'm also almways interested in max absorbancy but haven't found anything better than the Belissimos.

I hope these opinions and experiences might be valueable to someone.

-BouncyBoy
    Last edited by BouncyBoy; 25-Mar-2014 at 17:20.

A good first post!

Yes, diaper styles and brands vary greatly. Just as some use diapers for their performance, others use them for look and feel exclusively or may only search out and experiment with what is available geographically or financially. I don't think that store brands are garbage but rather suit the IC community or casual wearer better in their inteded performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyBoy View Post

Store Brands. Garbage. But you knew that. There is no reason to buy them. Even if Belissimo are nearing $2 diaper you can usually manage 6 to 12 hours but nothing I've tried in the store holds more than one solid wetting. Forget flooding. You might get lucky once, but not twice.

Bouncyboy,
    store brands (Depending on the brand and type of course) are certainly not garbage.
    Just as an example, personally I would rather NOT run around in a bambino (actually wouldn't want to wear one due to it's babyish design anyhow - but lets say the "bianco") or any other diaper more designed for NIGHT time use.
    personally I lead a rather active, sporty life-style and like freedom of movement, like wearing normal clothes - not some XXL-oversized baggy stuff just to hide the huge diaper.
    And last but really not least, whenever possible I LIKE to be CLEAN thus I change frequently... Unless I have absolutely no other choice I never would want to get 12 hours out of a single diaper: to me that would be just utterly gross.

I'm IC and wear for needs - during the day I usually get easily by with pads... easy to change, easy to pull down whenever I visit the toilet to void normally (which I do like every two hours to keep the bladder from filling up to bursting.point).
    I watch a bit what I drink to keep my body from excessively producing urine...
    When I then once can't make to the toilet and not just use the pad for the dribbling I get, I go and change asap. as I plainly don't want to sit in my own urine for any longer than absolutely unavoidable.

Also I like to walk / run / sport normally without a huge bulging diaper between the legs that makes me waddle of sorts.

When I drive for long times, use public transport or fly - well then I often choose to wear a diaper - but it is usually is a thin Attends Slip Regular M8 (something that indeed can be found at some stores)... Have used depends whilst in the US...
    Or Tena Slip Plus (the thinnest of the Tena Slip range).... and if I'm easy on the fluids these would even last for a normal night.
    However only at night I most often choose to wear a M10 or a Tena Slip Maxi if I plan to sleep in longer... Just adds a bit of security and I don't really need to care much whether I've had a beer or one glass of wine for dinner (alcoholics really do drive my urine production crazy).

Also the so called flooding is in IC Terms probably the rarest occurrence.... Unless someone can't void naturally (and even then, you can help yourself with intermittent catheter use to empty the bladder at controlled times) there is a lot that can be done to minimize output and thus even if someone suffering from most types of IC has a "full accident" it's rarely the maxed out average volume of the bladder... often also with some IC types - bladder size has diminished to a degree...
    There are cases where this doesn't apply and large quantities of urine will be expelled at times - then yes, a pad will not suffice (or at least not thin ones) - but even then, store brand thin diapers will take ONE such wetting usually without much problem.... but certainly not two,.... but then you can CHANGE.
    now the thing is this with a thick, expensive diaper it would be some sort of a waste (financially speaking) to change it after one wetting... thus you'd basically "need" to stay in it and use it some more - which is something as mentioned, I personally see no fun in doing so...
    Thus I prefer much thinner, more comfortable, discrete and cheaper diapers during the day... giving me freedom of movment, easy conceal-ability and can be changed more often.

So whilst so called "store brand" or generally speaking thin and lower-capacity diapers might not be good or best for over-night protection - during the day IF USED appropriately they are more than capable to meet the demands of the market they are actually catering for ... which isn't the ABDL market.

Fair points. I am definitely catering to a DL perspective. That being said, are there not better brands for the active (or not active) IC than in the store?

Case in point, I have a desk job, if I had to change every time I peed, I think the expense would add up quiet quickly. Also, with the Belissimo (Super X-Plus ?) I rarerely feel saggy or like I'm carry a big wet diaper. I'm not trying to necessarily get to capacity. I'm not running marathons or building tree houses, but I'm actually quite surprised how well they hold up for walking about and moving around. I am also not advocating that they are the best diaper for the active person however.

I was also largely wanted to make the point that the Belissimos are a better value, performance wise, than the Fabines, at least for US DL's that seem to think that the Fabines are some kind of mystical super diaper.

Thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyBoy View Post
    Fair points. I am definitely catering to a DL perspective. That being said, are there not better brands for the active (or not active) IC than in the store?

Case in point, I have a desk job, if I had to change every time I peed, I think the expense would add up quiet quickly. Also, with the Belissimo (Super X-Plus ?) I rarerely feel saggy or like I'm carry a big wet diaper. I'm not trying to necessarily get to capacity. I'm not running marathons or building tree houses, but I'm actually quite surprised how well they hold up for walking about and moving around. I am also not advocating that they are the best diaper for the active person however.

I was also largely wanted to make the point that the Belissimos are a better value, performance wise, than the Fabines, at least for US DL's that seem to think that the Fabines are some kind of mystical super diaper.

Thanks for your feedback.
    As for the quality of products: sure there are better products than what is usually available as "store brands"..
    But for the "average" need it's quite OK.
    Personally as mentioned I mostly wear Attends Slip Regular (M8 / M10) or Tena Slip Plus / Maxi... depending on the situation.
    Attends in some places is a product that is indeed available "off shelf" - Tena sometimes too.
    But both are considered higher quality products. and I take them over Depends any day - but that being said, what you said was that store brands are garbage - and that simply isn't the case.

I work at my machine shop, on my customers premises, at offices... I run, hike, climb, work out, ride motorcycles, bikes, do a fair bit of trail running, weights,... and that on a daily basis.... and I have done so with a night-time diaper out of necessity (ran out of day time products) but honestly it was horribly uncomfortable to me, especially the sports part and making the diaper "invisible". And as mentioned the feeling of either changing a high capacity diaper like 5-6 times a day (which is a waste) or simply feel unclean 'cause I'd stay in them too long.

The Fabines suck in my book - it was one of the least comfortable and far too thick diapers I had tried in my time for night time wearing... actually to the point where I slept badly because I was so oddly aware of that thing. and they got all "squishy" and kind of slimy due to the high SAP content and the plastic rips easily...
    And then comes that some have had VERY BAD experiences with the company behing the product... so an absolute negative product in my book.

I can't recommend the Fabines for both mine and your reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Personally as mentioned I mostly wear Attends Slip Regular (M8 / M10) or Tena Slip Plus / Maxi... depending on the situation.
    Attends in some places is a product that is indeed available "off shelf" - Tena sometimes too.
    But both are considered higher quality products. and I take them over Depends any day - but that being said, what you said was that store brands are garbage - and that simply isn't the case.
    I think you have a misunderstanding as to what's considered a "store brand." It's that international thing.

Attends in Europe are totally different than Attends in the U.S. - Attends in the U.S. are now worthless. Neither European Attends nor European Tena Slips are available in any U.S. brick-and-mortar stores.

What are being referred to as "store brands" by Americans are the generic, store-branded, cloth-backed briefs sometimes found in chain pharmacies and Wal-Marts. They are made by Kendall or some such conglomerate, and are totally worthless from any perspective.

Those store brands aren't great, but for the price they are ok. Depends were terrible and they were expensive for what you've got. The only good thing about the Depend brand was that they were plastic backed. Depending on where you would get them, they were like $16-$20. The other good thing about Depend was that they didn't clump much as other brands. Comparing the store brands to Depend, I would say the store brand was a bit better in performance. The store brands had a wider crotch, they could handle floods a little bit better, and had a better capacity.

I've tried an enormous amount of brands just out of curiosity, some surprised me in how actually decent or terrible they were. From experience, I have to say that Medline brand is probably the worst that I have tried. It seemed that the absorbent material was made out of a sponge, I could literally squeeze it dry if I wanted to. They clumped terribly as well. The fit was off as well. Medline has some sub brands as well that are equally as horrible. I know they have the Absorbs line as well.

Tena USA is not great either. They used to be pretty good, but they decided to go down the cheaper route and it showed. As soon as they removed the taping panel (they were cloth backed) the fit was bad, the tapes were bad. It seemed that they lost half of its capacity.

Attends USA used to be pretty good, as soon as they were sold to PaperPak the quality went down hill quick. The 3 tape waistband version used to be a staple. Now they are no better than store brands. They have paper thin padding that clumps so badly...ugh. Even their 2 taped version used to be pretty good. I still have a pack of the old version Attends that I found a few years ago. I've never opened the package yet. Maybe I'll sell if the right buyer comes along.

I never was a fan for Molicare, they clump badly as well. I bought them once and haven't tried them since.

Abena is another example of a good gone bad. I used to be happy with Abena, but ever since they added the huge train tracks on their diapers, the quality has been worsening. All the websites claim 4100ml capacity. But, it doesn't come close to that number. Yes I know that urine is different from water, but holy shit, they were better back then. It's still a decent diaper, but, its not on the top of my list anymore.

Dry 24/7 was a good diaper, except for their tapes and how it clumped. Capacity was great, but they always fell off after awhile and there's no way to readjust the tapes. I hate the double tapes, they don't work like I wish they would. I wish all companies had a taping panel like Bambino.

Bambino has a lot of features and probably the only diaper with all of these features. Belssimos or the others, it doesn't matter, they all are pretty good. They stay on, they have leakguards, the tapes are resealable beyond 2 fittings, plastic backed, crinkly, doesn't clump as bad as some others do. I haven't tried the recent run as of yet, and I am kind of sketchy of buying them, it seems that a lot of people have complaints about these new diapers. I hope they get things right over there, because I'm not going to be helping them get rid of bad stock. If I pay $90+ for a case, I don't want upside down prints or a bad quality diaper. I want something that I paid for that is worth it.

Even though some of these diapers that I have tried are not to expectation, I still like trying something different and explore. It is quite fun.

Quote Originally Posted by polarbaby View Post
    I think you have a misunderstanding as to what's considered a "store brand." It's that international thing.

Attends in Europe are totally different than Attends in the U.S. - Attends in the U.S. are now worthless. Neither European Attends nor European Tena Slips are available in any U.S. brick-and-mortar stores.

What are being referred to as "store brands" by Americans are the generic, store-branded, cloth-backed briefs sometimes found in chain pharmacies and Wal-Marts. They are made by Kendall or some such conglomerate, and are totally worthless from any perspective.
    maybe I have - as I do not reside in the US and thus don't have a US-Centric view on things.

none the less however I was in the US about two month ago on a business trip and actually used / bought Depend (various ones).
    With the "Depend Real Fit Men" I was actually quite happy as a pad replacement in most situations (Daytime)...
    And the "Protection with Tabs" actually worked quite reasonably well.. not the best diapers I've used, not at all, but far from bad as well.
    and the "Adjustable Underwear" are actually quite interesting for what they are... not the best pull ups I've worn, but again far from bad.

The Attends Waistband (6-Tapes) - well they do NOT compare to the Attends we get in europe...
    Also they are VERY Crinkly... that was really not to my liking - the fit though was quite good.
    Again, far from the best I've worn, but "usable" none the less.

Tena Ultra Stretch (Walmart...) are actually quite a good diaper in my opinion... if used accordingly, they work quite well.

I'm not saying there's no crap out there... personally you'd have ot pay me for example to ever use PREVAIL again...
    But it's not as bad as you try to paint it.

Quote Originally Posted by polarbaby View Post

Clarity. I must remember that there are others outside of Lord Obama's rule I have read that typical Euro Briefs are better overall.