Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Historical AB/DL's?

Default Historical AB/DL's?

So lately I've been thinking...a lot of people report being aware of ABDL tendencies from an early age. For myself I can remember a few distinct memories from about age 5 where I had an interest in diapers.

This got me to thinking, what's the possibility of ABDL's existing long ago?

I know the modern concept of diapers (even cloth diapering!) is just that, a modern idea. there the possibility that some form of ABDL has been around for much longer than the present day incarnation that we're familiar with?

The thought of certain historical figures being quietly ABDL is just hilarious! (Genghis Khan in diapers anyone..?).

I think former President FDR may have worn diapers because he was confined to a wheel chair
    but he was an ab/dl

I think the possibility is there, however, until the advent of modern diapers, I think there was a great chance of cross dress. Those sort of materials existed way back to ancient times.

Interesting.... Plus, around 1900 or so it was not at all unusual to dress little boys in dresses. This was considered the norm at the time. While doing research, I also found out that at about that time or a little before, PINK was considered a color for boys, not necessarily girls.

I do believe that ABs could have existed historically, although with obvious differences from modern ones. I think, though, that in order to look for ABs, we need to look less at the behaviours around ABDL, and more about the attitudes around it.

The objects and behaviours around infancy, toddlerhood, and childhood have always changes across time and culture. Diapers didn't even exist before the 1800s. Before then, it was all about elimination communication - watching to see when your baby had to go, and making sure they were over a chamberpot/whatever the culture used as a toilet! Maybe this was a fetish? It seems a little impractical, to say the least. Things like pacifiers didn't exist until the late 1600s, and only in Europe. Bottles have existed in one form or another across time and culture, but it seems like adults used them too. And the concept of childhood has changed greatly, too. Children were often used as help at the adults' place of business, and of course child labour was prevalent well into the 19th century. The notion of childhood as idyllic is largely a modern thing - although, to be fair, babies were most likely free from this.

So babyhood and childhood have obviously changed, but one thing that hasn't changed, I imagine, is the desire to regress. After all, that's what our interests are wrapped up in. As an example, I know I was put in cloth diapers as a baby, but I gravitated towards disposable diapers as an AB. I think it's because I saw those as something babies wore. They made me feel more babylike. I also have no memories of using a pacifier when little, but I still love using mine. Again, it's a symbol of babyhood. And our desires for these symbols come from a desire to regress.

Now the question is the age-old one: what makes us want to regress? Some of us have named difficult childhoods, or high levels of stress, or abuse, or emotional adversity. All of those things have existed in every culture. So logically, I think some people back then would have the same response we did: wanting to escape by taking on another role. Cross-dressing, for example, is something that some people do as a means of escape and self-expression, and cross-dressing has existed for millenia in many cultures. Could some equivalent of regressing exist too? Maybe some people in ancient societies wanted to be swaddled in blankets, held, fed from the same sort of bottle they were given as infants, and taken to urinate when the caregiver said so. Maybe these ideas brought them comfort, or were their escape from a harsh world. I could see it!

So overall, obviously our modern concept of ABDL didn't exist in ancient and non-Western societies. But I think there's a strong case that regression could have existed. The conditions are all there, and similar things such as cross-dressing have existed throughout history. So I bet it probably has. Now we need hard evidence. If anyone sees an adult being swaddled and held over a hole painted on a cave wall somewhere, you know what to do...

Humm.... I wounder if any Chinese fetishists bury themselves waist deep in a pot of sand?

I wonder if the ancient Egyptians had an ABDL "community" way back then?
    Probably not, since diapers weren't conceived-of yet.
    No diaper-no desire.
    The need to regress may not have existed as well, since childhood was not the happy, idyllic experience it is considered to be today.
    As soon as a child was able to effectively communicate with its parents, it was pushed into helping sustain the family.
    Plus, if you lived to age thirty-five in ancient Egypt, you were very old.
    Merely conjecture on my part, since I know very little about the ancients, let alone their day-to-day lives.
    This is a great thread. Thanks.....

@Adventurer Thank you for saving me a couple hours of attempting to sum it up half as well as you did.

The essence remains the same- the objects and symbols of the fetish are defined by what existed when the person existed.

If babies were typically wrapped in used newspapers, there would be some grownups who had a strong urge to wrap themselves in newspapers. This is the fetish side of it--the DL part. Even though "cavemen" had neither plastic baby bottles nor nursery-print disposable diapers, I'm certain that some "cavemen" had strong urges (for whatever reason) to feel/act/be like a baby again. This is the emotional, AB side of it.

What fascinates me is the changing nature of the DL part, specifically what the individual wore when they were a baby (which I figure explains most of the fetish) and what was/is available when the individual began to get back into diapers, and as they continued to explore their fetish.

Older DLs tend to prefer cloth and plastic pants, presumably because that is what existed when they were babies. People of my generation are mixed, but perhaps skew towards preferring disposable. Maybe this is because once disposables became widely available, every baby likely spent at least some time in them, AND when this generation began to experiment, disposables were pretty much all that was available.

Pull-ups came after my early childhood, so I never had age-appropriate experience with them. They came into existence when I was getting back into diapers in my early teens, so I definitely have a MAJOR appreciation for them, but nothing like my love of thick cloth diapers or crinkly disposables.

I also really like the velcro-tab / cloth-backed diapers of today . . . but I'm still primarily fixated on the bulky cloth and old-school disposables that I grew up in. I grew up wearing thick cloth diapers, and early generations of disposables which were much bulkier/thicker than modern disposable diapers. Frankly, I like the velcro tabs because it makes it easier to layer diapers to reach the bulk that feels right to me.

I wonder about future generations- my generation is panicking at the thought that crinkly, plastic-backed diapers are disappearing. For the generation who grew up in thin, cloth-backed diapers, maybe they don't care. But I just can't imagine anyone taking more pleasure in a paper-thin pull-up that leaks than in a proper thick, layered plastic-backed diaper that holds so much that you are forced to waddle around. **Sigh** I guess that means I'm officially old, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Diapers didn't even exist before the 1800s.
    Actually, diapers existed several hundred years before the 1800s ... they just weren't changed as often. In Elizabethian England, for example, a baby would be changed every two or three days. Native Americans fashioned diapers from peat moss. Early diapers tied on or were held in place with straight pins. Since the safety pin wasn't invented until about 1850, fastening a diaper was a precarious business at best.

Whether FDR wore diapers is an open question. No one who knew him well commented on the subject, but Daisy Suckley's relationship with FDR would indicate that he did not. FDR's wife, Eleanor, catheterized him during his fight with Polio; it's reasonable to assume that he continued to use a catheter during his years in the White House.

The Duke of Windsor was probably the best-known famous infantilist; some biographers believe he married Wallis Simpson because she "babied" him.