Thread: help need advice

Default help need advice

Has anyone ever told their psychiatrist about their AB needs?? If so how did that go??? I have an appointment tomorrow and considering telling him but baby girl is scared; (

Lozza1979

Quote Originally Posted by teddybearbaby View Post
    Has anyone ever told their psychiatrist about their AB needs?? If so how did that go??? I have an appointment tomorrow and considering telling him but baby girl is scared; (
    Whats the point in telling him?Unless you feel your AB side is genuinely causing you psychological issues of some sort then I don't see the point.You will just be causing yourself more issues as then you will need to explain the whole thing to him/her.What you say will go on your records and its not something they will forget.Its up to you, I just feel it would be a bit pointless to tell people about your AB side when it wont benefit either of you in the long run.I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.

You pay for roughly 1 hour blocks of a mental health professionals time, whether you talk about mental health or the latest in baseball, they get paid, and you get billed the same.

That said, if you WANT to tell him, just to hear anothers opinion, get it off your chest, face a fear? go for it! otherwise unless you think is relivant to your intrapersonal health, talk about phycology.

No wrong choice, he's paid so you can talk, so talk about what is going to be most benificial for you!

Good luck!

Psychiatrist or counselor? You usually do not disclose those kinds of things to a psychiatrist from what I know. You can, but treatment options vary depending on what you need. Most psychologists/counselors refer you to a psychiatrist if they believe medication may be beneficial to you.

Disclosing to some sort of therapist isn't really a huge deal. That's what you pay them for. When I saw a therapist (psychologist) for anxiety management, I never disclosed such information because I didn't see it as relevant nor did it bother me. Ask yourself those kinds of questions, because ultimately you direct your therapy. To disclose is neither good nor bad, just have some realistic expectations.

I'm not sure what you mean by AB needs (which could mean many things) but usually if you want to disclose it is often that something bothers you about it or you are asking for advice to deal with them. Depending on your expectations, and how you wish to direct it, can be a variety of things.

Up to you really from what you thought about it.

I had to tell my psychiatrist when my mom made me see one. He simply said I would outgrow it, which of course, didn't happen. I was having a psychotic break at the time, and also had to talk about my homosexuality, so we spent our time on that little subject. I hated being there, and I hated him. Eventually I talked my mom out of making me go.

I told a psychologist about my DL issues...but, that's because at that time...I felt like a strange little creeper. Imagine Gollum in a diaper...chanting "precioussss" ... "We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They will steel it from us."...

Turns out, I wasn't the only one in the world who engaged in this sort of behavior...and the only thing about it that was hurting me...was not knowing it was really okay to do...so long as it didn't harm others or impair me in any major way...

I wouldn't think of telling you not to talk about it with a proper clinician...I would ask you, if you believed that you needed to? If you find yourself essentially talking around that issue, then it would be worth telling for the sake of filling in the missing pieces...

I hope that helps...it's really only for you to answer...

-Marka