Thread: I Need Help with Chromebook

Exclamation I Need Help with Chromebook

I have an Acer C7 Chromebook with an annoying problem. For those unfamiliar with Chromebook, when you turn it on you're asked to sign into your Google account. I do so, but sometimes, like this morning, after signing in it informs me my password has been changed since last logging in. But I haven't changed it. So I enter my current password, and it lets me through. But several hours later I try again, and it gives me the same message. Entering my current password doesn't work, and neither do any of the ones I've had in the past. If I can't find the password it wants, then all my saved files will be wiped out due to encryption, something I went through once before. I tried accessing the account from Gmail and then changed my password for real, then entering both my actual old password and the new one when prompted for my old password, but to no avail. So what's going on? I've already decided to gather my pictures from their various online sources and download them to another Google account
    Last edited by KimbaWolfNagihiko; 17-Mar-2014 at 20:19. Reason: added info

PaddedPuppy

Do you have anything else that uses a Google account? An Android phone, maybe? If so are things working ok on there?

I have the same Chromebook and a really old googlemail.com account and its working fine for me. You say you backed stuff up to another Google account, so does that one work on your laptop or is it the same problem again?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddedPuppy View Post
    Do you have anything else that uses a Google account? An Android phone, maybe? If so are things working ok on there?

I have the same Chromebook and a really old googlemail.com account and its working fine for me. You say you backed stuff up to another Google account, so does that one work on your laptop or is it the same problem again?
    Nope, I have two Android tablets but they both broke.

The other account is working fine for the time being. Like I said, these ''your password has been changed, verify your old one'' messages just turn up randomly. I guess I'm most concerned about hackers or whatever. I check my account activity and the only weird thing that ever popped up was a sign-in from Colorado one time, I don't live in Colorado. To be safe I changed my password that time.

Do you have a device-specific password for your Chromebook? Check your password settings under the google accounts page. You could try setting up, or changing, a This-Chromebook-Only one time password .... maybe?