Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Bed wetting.

  1. #1
    Lozza1979

    Default Bed wetting.

    Hi

    This is a question to all the bed wetters out there, that is people who wet in their sleep and wake up often in wet sheets:

    How often do you find yourself having to wash bed sheets/mattresses etc, and what is the easiest and most effective way to get the smell of wee out of a mattress?.My nappy leaked in bed the other night and soaked my mattress cover, the actual mattress and the duvets.Needless to say the clean up operation was a nightmare and although I got most of the smell out there's still a little odor left, but not enough to ruin the mattress.

    How often as a bed wetter do you find yourself cleaning up after wetting and are there and easy ways to go about it?.I appreciate that for some bed wetting is a private thing and may not wish to talk about it but if you care to share your experiences then great.

    I wasn't really sure where to post this as its neither diapers nor adult baby, but I guess both experience it.

  2. #2

    Default

    I have only woken up a few times with wet sheets and it's not nice, but if you sleep on your back as I do I find wearing the Diaper higher at the back helps keep leaks at bay or making sure your Diaper has a good snug fit sizing is everything, I have just started to wear size small as I was having problems with size medium.
    Any way here are some things you can try, good luck.

    (1)Try Baking Soda

    Baking Soda is not just for refrigerators anymore. If the spot is already dry, sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on the mattress and let it sit for a few hours - then vacuum away.

    (2) Use Vinegar

    White Vinegar is another natural way to get rid of odors. Mix a batch of hot water and white vinegar together and pour the mixture on the spot on the mattress. If you are able to move the mattress - it is best to put it outside in the sun to dry for a few hours. If not, simply plug in a fan and direct to the wet area until it is dry.

    (3) Spray on Febreeze

    If the smell is slight, a few spritzes of Febreeze might be all you need. Simply spray a fairly generous amount of Febreeze over area and give it time to dry before putting sheets back on.

    (4) Use Fabric Softener Sheets

    This is another solution if the smell is just slight. Simply put 4 or 5 fabric softener sheets over the mattress but underneath the sheets. The body heat of the person sleeping on it will activate the sheets and help the new fragrance to sink into the mattress. Another benefit is it smells nice while it is working.

    (5) Apply Diluted Bleach

    Bleach is another good product that will not only help to get rid of the urine smell, but will also help clean any yellow stains that might have been left behind. Simply dilute some bleach with warm water, put in spray bottle and squirt the stain. Wait for it to dry and check the smell. If it is still there, try again. It might be necessary to do this 2 or 3 times, but it is an easy and cost effective way to deal with the problem.

  3. #3

    Default

    Yes, there has been couple of times were I had to wash the bed sheets and it is no fun. To get the smell out of the mattress I use a sponge and I dip the sponge into Amazon.com - DP (de-pee) Stain & Odor Remover - 24oz - For Potty Accidents & Other Adventures! - Environmentally Friendly - Urine Odor Mattress or you can spray it on the mattress too. But the sponge works the best when you press it on the mattress it self will get most of the pee out. Then I use a fan and let it dry. Now I used a mattress protector I have this one now Amazon.com - Queen Size Luna Premium Hypoallergenic 100% Waterproof Mattress Protector - 10 Year Warranty - Made In The USA - Mattress Pads and it works great! I sleep on my back and the only diapers that had keep me dry is the Dry 24/7 and the Bambino Bellissimo and no leaks. But I had tried other diapers and had wet bed sheets. Now when I try different diapers I use Goodnites Bed Mats and works great. So I won't have wet bed sheets.

  4. #4

    Default

    Dammit Doodle, you beat me to it by like a minute. xD

  5. #5

    Default

    I'm a HUGE fan of febreeze. it works pretty well for me at hiding all the associated smells that go along with having to wear.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Lozza1979 View Post
    Hi

    This is a question to all the bed wetters out there, that is people who wet in their sleep and wake up often in wet sheets:

    How often do you find yourself having to wash bed sheets/mattresses etc, and what is the easiest and most effective way to get the smell of wee out of a mattress?.My nappy leaked in bed the other night and soaked my mattress cover, the actual mattress and the duvets.Needless to say the clean up operation was a nightmare and although I got most of the smell out there's still a little odor left, but not enough to ruin the mattress.

    How often as a bed wetter do you find yourself cleaning up after wetting and are there and easy ways to go about it?.I appreciate that for some bed wetting is a private thing and may not wish to talk about it but if you care to share your experiences then great.

    I wasn't really sure where to post this as its neither diapers nor adult baby, but I guess both experience it.
    1) Use a bed protector... I've had one on any of my beds for the past 34 years... Now for the past like 15 years or so I had one of these really high quality PU-covered molton things..
    They are really not noticeable by any means... Neither my Girlfriend minds it (she wouldn't sleep on any of the calssic plastic things and neither would I).
    The mattress looks like new - and trust me even sweat and other stuff soils a mattress pretty badly - so protectors are a good thing incontinent or not.

    2) How often? Well we change bed sheets every week... but VERY VERY RARELY because of leaks. The in-between change because the diaper leaked is maybe like once every three / five month...
    Ever since I follow a good routine with what I drink and eat, how I drink (regularly but not in large quantities),.. and I use quality diapers that fit me well.
    Well ever since I've been doing this, leaks are a very rare occurrence.

    3) Wet mattress - well I've ruined ONE - and that was during a time in my youth were I really rebelled against the plastic sheet - after that phase my mom found me one of these modern comfortable pu-laminated protectors.
    But in between I've ruined one mattress... and it goes quickly.
    Honestly there's no real way to get it cleaned on the inside... the cover sometimes can be cleaned - but the stuff that gets in stays in (well ok, part of it evaporates / dries)...
    I know that you can try to Steam-Clean them and then dry outside / fresh air... that can do some magic... but its time consuming and requires a machine.
    Other than that... I guess a few wettings and it's basically grouse. and stays grouse.

    The rest of the bedding can be washed of course.
    IF you wash the duvet and if it's a goose down feather thing make sure you wash it cold (no more than 30) and put a TENNIS BALL in with it into the machine.... that will help greatly with preventing the feathers to clump.
    Works with synthetic fillings too, but not as well.

  7. #7
    Lozza1979

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDoodle View Post
    I have only woken up a few times with wet sheets and it's not nice, but if you sleep on your back as I do I find wearing the Diaper higher at the back helps keep leaks at bay or making sure your Diaper has a good snug fit sizing is everything, I have just started to wear size small as I was having problems with size medium.
    Any way here are some things you can try, good luck.

    (1)Try Baking Soda

    Baking Soda is not just for refrigerators anymore. If the spot is already dry, sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on the mattress and let it sit for a few hours - then vacuum away.

    (2) Use Vinegar

    White Vinegar is another natural way to get rid of odors. Mix a batch of hot water and white vinegar together and pour the mixture on the spot on the mattress. If you are able to move the mattress - it is best to put it outside in the sun to dry for a few hours. If not, simply plug in a fan and direct to the wet area until it is dry.

    (3) Spray on Febreeze

    If the smell is slight, a few spritzes of Febreeze might be all you need. Simply spray a fairly generous amount of Febreeze over area and give it time to dry before putting sheets back on.

    (4) Use Fabric Softener Sheets

    This is another solution if the smell is just slight. Simply put 4 or 5 fabric softener sheets over the mattress but underneath the sheets. The body heat of the person sleeping on it will activate the sheets and help the new fragrance to sink into the mattress. Another benefit is it smells nice while it is working.

    (5) Apply Diluted Bleach

    Bleach is another good product that will not only help to get rid of the urine smell, but will also help clean any yellow stains that might have been left behind. Simply dilute some bleach with warm water, put in spray bottle and squirt the stain. Wait for it to dry and check the smell. If it is still there, try again. It might be necessary to do this 2 or 3 times, but it is an easy and cost effective way to deal with the problem.
    Thanks for you help and advice, its appreciated.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyToddler View Post
    Yes, there has been couple of times were I had to wash the bed sheets and it is no fun. To get the smell out of the mattress I use a sponge and I dip the sponge into Amazon.com - DP (de-pee) Stain & Odor Remover - 24oz - For Potty Accidents & Other Adventures! - Environmentally Friendly - Urine Odor Mattress or you can spray it on the mattress too. But the sponge works the best when you press it on the mattress it self will get most of the pee out. Then I use a fan and let it dry. Now I used a mattress protector I have this one now Amazon.com - Queen Size Luna Premium Hypoallergenic 100% Waterproof Mattress Protector - 10 Year Warranty - Made In The USA - Mattress Pads and it works great! I sleep on my back and the only diapers that had keep me dry is the Dry 24/7 and the Bambino Bellissimo and no leaks. But I had tried other diapers and had wet bed sheets. Now when I try different diapers I use Goodnites Bed Mats and works great. So I won't have wet bed sheets.
    Thanks for the advice and links.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    1) Use a bed protector... I've had one on any of my beds for the past 34 years... Now for the past like 15 years or so I had one of these really high quality PU-covered molton things..
    They are really not noticeable by any means... Neither my Girlfriend minds it (she wouldn't sleep on any of the calssic plastic things and neither would I).
    The mattress looks like new - and trust me even sweat and other stuff soils a mattress pretty badly - so protectors are a good thing incontinent or not.

    2) How often? Well we change bed sheets every week... but VERY VERY RARELY because of leaks. The in-between change because the diaper leaked is maybe like once every three / five month...
    Ever since I follow a good routine with what I drink and eat, how I drink (regularly but not in large quantities),.. and I use quality diapers that fit me well.
    Well ever since I've been doing this, leaks are a very rare occurrence.

    3) Wet mattress - well I've ruined ONE - and that was during a time in my youth were I really rebelled against the plastic sheet - after that phase my mom found me one of these modern comfortable pu-laminated protectors.
    But in between I've ruined one mattress... and it goes quickly.
    Honestly there's no real way to get it cleaned on the inside... the cover sometimes can be cleaned - but the stuff that gets in stays in (well ok, part of it evaporates / dries)...
    I know that you can try to Steam-Clean them and then dry outside / fresh air... that can do some magic... but its time consuming and requires a machine.
    Other than that... I guess a few wettings and it's basically grouse. and stays grouse.

    The rest of the bedding can be washed of course.
    IF you wash the duvet and if it's a goose down feather thing make sure you wash it cold (no more than 30) and put a TENNIS BALL in with it into the machine.... that will help greatly with preventing the feathers to clump.
    Works with synthetic fillings too, but not as well.
    Thanks for the answer.May I ask what is causing your incontinence?.It is obviously a life long thing for you.

  8. #8

    Default

    We have a very well protected mattress. you can't beat good protection to start with, I wash the bed at least weekly ..if I have a big leak or wet when undiapered I'll wash that day small leaks make it to regular wash day.. all the other methods would work well also.. another hint is a charcoal briquette or two in a bowl or basket will help to absorb the order that may be in the room just remember that it will leave black dust and marks wherever it get rubbed so keep it in a container like old plastic bowl.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Lozza1979 View Post
    Thanks for you help and advice, its appreciated.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Thanks for the advice and links.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Thanks for the answer.May I ask what is causing your incontinence?.It is obviously a life long thing for you.
    I wish that would be something I could answer in its entirety myself.

    What was figured out so far is that it's a mixture of heavy OAB and some nerve-issues.
    Basically my bladder signals that it's "full" even when there's next to nothing in it - that can cause some sort of "spasm" at times and and basically some very frequent dribbling.
    Interestingly enough when I lie down the dribbling becomes minimal to very minimal - however when I'm asleep I basically don't get the usual signals of "bladder full = wake up" - I just wet.
    The best guess for this is that due to the bladder issues (over active) and it's size (obviously it does hold less than average, as it's never properly filling up) and some sort of signal-transmission-error the body just decides to empty it frequently.
    Probably because I have "learned" to associate the constant "need to go" with letting go. and as it would probably be unhealthy to wake up like 20 times a night...
    But it's something that has never been diagnosed with a definitive answer to back it up.
    Also there's my day time dribbling and sometimes full wetting accidents.
    Basically my sphincter muscle "works" - I can actively control it... and it "closes" - but it basically spasms slightly and opens up / closes very frequently... but the dribbling isn't that bad that the bladder wont fill up... but I will quickly feel like it's "overfilling" (it becomes painful) and then I either be in close vicinity of a toilet facility or, well the result is a wetting accident.

    Interestingly enough, other factors like personal stress etc seem to have some impact on the severity of the issue.
    Some medication can help to ease the effect of the OAB / constant urge - but it doesn't affect the dribbling or the accidents to an extend where it would stop... it clearly minimizes it though.
    But I can't take said medication for prolonged times, as I get rather severe side effects wich eventually would prevent me from safely working, driving, etc... and thus would be far more problematic than the actual IC issue.

    I'm still seeing an urologist every now and then hopefully to find an answer, solution etc... not giving up - but at the current time, diapers, pads condom urinals, etc are my best solution.

    And if I may ask for the cause of yours?

    Post Scriptum:
    Lifelong - yes - when I was born, obviously it wasn't recognized as a problem at first, but when I wouldn't "potty train" like expected my parents had the wisdom to seek medical help.
    And the first signs of my IC were diagnosed.
    At first, when my first memories related kick in like 4-5 years old this to me wasn't much of an issue - of course I was just diapered.
    Kindergarden was a mixed bag to say so - but not bad.
    School was another story. And I'm sparing you the gory details - lets just say it had a positive influence on my choice of sports and my ability to defend myself.... but I was rather glad when school was over.
    Also during my early teens my daytime issues were far less prominent than they got during late puberty.
    The bedwetting however, has been a constant "companion" of mine with hardly a dry night ever.
    To be honest - I could have it far far worse. Later in life - when I moved out on my own at 15ish - whilst life was tough my IC became less and less of a "real issue" as I learned to handle it after a fashion of my own choosing and I've learned to deal with it accordingly to varying situations. But it took me some trial and error to find solutions that would work well in 99% of the situations.

  10. #10

    Default

    If your bed is reasonably small a shower curtain works well for like $3. I got a non-PVA (PVC is toxic) one at wally-world. It is also good to cover furniture. Could probably make a good quick surface for sex as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Bed wetting
    By BabyPanda28 in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-Oct-2013, 18:58
  2. Am i wetting my bed?
    By Brendan134 in forum Incontinence
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-Oct-2012, 00:54
  3. Wetting Bed Cause
    By funseeker in forum Incontinence
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Feb-2012, 15:03
  4. First wetting?
    By Shifty in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2011, 00:32
  5. bed wetting
    By littlebear1223 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2011, 18:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.