Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D printed pacifiers

Default 3D printed pacifiers

Hello everyone,

Well, I already announced it in my introduction: I want to share pictures of my selfmade pacifiers.

They were manufactured using a 3D printer. For those who are not familiar with that stuff: A 3D printer is a device that can make a three-dimensional object from a digital model. This works by melting plastic and laying it down layer after layer, as specified by the model. This technology was already invented in the 1980s, but in recent years it really took off and became available to individuals. If you want to know more, google it

My problem with the original NUK5 was that the shield is too small. So basically, I took the teat from a NUK5, and printed my own shield together with a handle and the connecting piece.

The results are good, but not perfect. First, the printer has its limitations that you have to keep in mind when designing parts. Also, you can see the layers, and the surface is less smooth than a poured plastic part - that doesn't make much difference when in use though. All in all, I'm quite content.

But as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. In the following you can see two printed pacifiers compared to an original NUK5. The white and green one's guard is 80mm wide (3.15"), the blue and white one is a little smaller at 72mm. (the NUK5 in white is about 56mm wide)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1079.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	20317 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1081.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	20316 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1082.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	20315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1085.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	20314 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1086.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	20313 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1088.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	20312 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1089.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	20311

What do you think?
    Would you like to have pacifiers with larger shields, too?
    To be honest, I've been thinking about maybe making some more and selling them... if you want that to happen, please let me know.

- CraftingGuy

If it's real, sturdy and a reasonable price, I'd bite

Very nice

You should post the models somewhere ;p

What kind of plastic did you use? I've been considering doing something similar (proud mendelmax 2 owner), but was concerned about the toxicity (I gather that plastic isn't exactly food safe). Apparently these guys and others now have some food safe plastic that might be safe (I imagine the standard stuff is safe enough, but I'm kinda paranoid when it comes to stuff near my mouth).

Ah man, that's so cool.

Nice, well I might be interested, sometimes it is a bit annoying not having an appropriate size of paci guard. How much are you thinking of selling them for?

Would be interested depending on the price asked, as for the printed guard, maybe there is something that can smooth that out, maybe some gentle use of a abrasive paper (can't remember the term for that in english sorry, the translation from french would be sand paper but I know its not the word in english for that)

Well done! I've never seen a 3D printout up close like that before. Your photography is cool, too!

Great job man! Those look really nice. If they are durable and a reasonable price I would pay for one, especially if you sold it as a complete all in one piece (with the nuk 5 already attached). I wish I had a 3d printer, oh the things I could make.