Thread: New IRC Channel

Default New IRC Channel

Hey guys,

I created an IRC channel specifically for use if you feel like you are not really being heard by the general population of ADISC. It has one simple rule.. NO LURKING. Only lurkers allowed are the channel mods. They are Myself, Tripped and Traemo.

Feel free to stop on by if you just need someone to listen to you for a while and maybe get some advice in the end. Someone should always be there able to hear you out.

So like I said.. Feel free to stop on into #snackbar if you need someone to really talk to for awhile. Traemo, Tripped and Myself are just a room away. So come, sit, chat and be heard.

Hey guys,

I have created an IRC channel for use if you just need someone to listen for a while and maybe get some advice. The channel is #snackbar. Mods are Myself, Tripped, and Traemo.

Feel free to stop by #snackbar if you need someone to really talk to. Someone should always be there able to hear you out. Come, sit, chat and be heard.

The channel has one simple rule: NO LURKING. See you there!

Last edited by StacyAnn; 17-Mar-2014 at 04:37. Reason: needed to reword.. didn't sound right.

well, it's good to know there's a place to be heard I might visit the channel next time I chat.

No one questions that ADISC truly is a community with all that implies. And like all communities, from time to time those in need can accidentally fall through the cracks. As a result of more than one instance of someone needing to talk and getting lost in the flood of very active conversation, StacyAnn, Tripped, and myself got together to hash out some sort of solution. ADISC is a SUPPORT community, no matter how inadvertent or accidental, we must hold ourselves to a Zero Tolerance Policy for ignoring people in need.

To meet this this need we have created an additional channel in IRC: #snackbar. The explicit purpose of #snackbar is to provide a place where only those willing to provide help and those seeking someone to talk to are present. The general site rules still apply, but with addition of a prohibition on "lurking" and a limitation of allowable conversation. In this case, lurking is defined as not being responsive to #snackbar, not based on observable activity in the channel (which would defeat the purpose) but in responding in an appropriate and timely manner to events in #snackbar. The limits on conversation aren't bright line, but situational. In general, the topics of politics, religion, or other controversial matters are not permitted except to the extent they play immediate role in providing help or support to someone.

What this means to most people: #snackbar is not a place to chat, hang out, or generally relax. It is the place to come if you feel you're being overlooked, ignored, or unheard in #adisc. For most purposes, #adisc is still the better place to seek help - there are more people there to provide better and broader responses.

When you just want to be heard - #snackbar