Thread: Cribs

Default Cribs

So I've been pondering the idea of making a few cribs and keeping one for myself then sell the rest to pay for some of my schooling. I am fairly skilled at welding and fabricating. I also have a wide variety of material i can use from my family supplier. I can pretty much make a crib any way someone would want. Heavy duty or little duty for looks. I am able to get 2"x2" square galvanized tubing and anything below that size and same goes for round tubing. I've done some searching on the forums and it seems like there is a small demand for cribs but many people i find don't have the financial stability to afford one.
    So what im trying to say is if i made one and posted it here on adisc would anyone be interested. I know price is a major factor and sadly the price i can get this material for can not go any lower so the cribs i would be making would cost around $1200 for a full size bed. I know that sounds like a great deal of money but if you factor in labor, material, and welding stuff the price seems a bit more reasonable. Price would go up or down depending on bed size and height of the crib.
    Comment below what you would want in a crib if you were to have one of your own.

Id have to think about it but I can and would prolly buy one from you, mistly cause $1200 aint that much for me

Well,

Yes, $1200 seems a very reasonable price...

I've got that in materials in my crib, but I went with aluminum...bit pricier...

Bit, this would be great, I'm sure there are quite a few that can go that price range...

B

Potentially a little bit less but all depends on the spacing of rails on the crib. The closer the rails the more rails and therefor a few more bucks

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyShepard
    So what im trying to say is if i made one and posted it here on adisc would anyone be interested. I know price is a major factor and sadly the price i can get this material for can not go any lower so the cribs i would be making would cost around $1200 for a full size bed. I know that sounds like a great deal of money but if you factor in labor, material, and welding stuff the price seems a bit more reasonable. Price would go up or down depending on bed size and height of the crib.
    Comment below what you would want in a crib if you were to have one of your own.
    A lot of people including myself grew up with wooden cribs. For galvanized tubing and welding, I can see the cost of this easily and I honestly think it's too much for the majority of people. I'd go with wood personally which is vastly cheaper and sending in it a package for quick construction like an IKEA type deal would be the best way to go. I like working with wood myself and there's something vastly more homey about stained wood than metal.

Yes I also believe that a wood crib has a sence of "homey" feel to it. And makeing a crib of wood would add a bit more style to the design but for that reason it takes a bit more time and work to make one that I would be proud of. Thank you for shareing your ideas on a wooden crib im geting great feed back from everyone so far.

toujoursbb

Here are examples of wooden cribs for ABDL :
    ABDL - couchette - Michel Artisan Menuisier
    This guy is finishing a foldable custom sized high chair for me.
    Don't know the price of the crib but I suspect it to be in the same range as he is skilled and will not work for minimum wage on week-ends to satisfy our pleasures, of course