View Poll Results: Windows XP Support Ending Soon Will You Be Upgrading Or Sticking With Old Reliable?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows XP "Old Reliable"

    3 9.68%
  • Windows Vista

    1 3.23%
  • Windows 7

    14 45.16%
  • Windows 8

    3 9.68%
  • Windows 8.1

    6 19.35%
  • Other OS like Linux or Ubuntu

    4 12.90%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Windows XP Support Ending Soon

  1. #1

    Default Windows XP Support Ending Soon

    Support for Windows XP will be ending April 8th, 2014. Will you guys be sticking with "old reliable" Windows XP or will you be upgrading to Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or some other OS like Linux or Ubuntu?

  2. #2

    Default

    At home / office I have a Mac (latest OS).

    At the shop I have both a mac and a windows pc - as well as a Linux Server.

    I've ditched windows XP the moment Win7 was released... and happily upgraded to 8 / 8.1.

    Vista surely sucked bad... probably the most epic OS Fail in history of Windows.
    7 was far better than XP ever was. 8.1 is quite quite good.

    But I for one am happy that XP is as dead as dead can be.

    Back in its hay-day it wasn't bad. But it was pestered from start by the old dos-core. more security holes than swiss cheese has holes (and in swiss cheese, the holes actually belong). Was an unstable, slowly self-destructing (getting more bloated and slower and slower), virus loving piece of junk.
    Basically it was XP that made me at the time almost exclusively use Mac.
    IT was like a patchwork os (XP) that was like with SP3 (or was it SP 6591 ) became slightly more stable / security aware... but by that time it was already bast it's shelf life and was seriously lacking.
    But I guess if Vista hadn't failed so badly on its own, XP would have been killed off much sooner.
    Due to the fuck up with Vista I guess many folks kept operating XP far longer than healthy, and were naturally weary of upgrading to Win7.

    But honestly, Win8.1 is probably the best windows version released to this day, it's a pretty modern system. But still has a lot of "jokes" attached like a graphics hogging aero interface (that gladly can be shut off).


    So mark my words XP: DIE... please do us all the favor and finally DIE... you - XP - are like one of those freak-monsters from a bad B-Movie... killed off twenty times and yet still popping up half-alive and murderous around the next corner.
    So have the grace to finally die, for good this time. Thank you.

  3. #3

    Default

    My mate has xp on his desktop.
    I think he will stick with that.
    We both have Win7 on our laptops.

    If we get a new laptop we may buy Win7 to replace 8.
    Tho I would take xp over 8 any day.

  4. #4

    Default

    I think I will stick with 7 for now - I upgraded to 7 shortly after it came out, and have been mostly pleased with it. 8's performance is stunning, but it's interface is garbage. I forgot how cheesy and annoying hot corners were (After Dark screen savers on Win 3.1?!) until I used 8 on my partner's laptop. I'm not entirely certain how one gets work done using the Modern interface, and what the rationale behind forcing its loading as the first interface you see before 8.1 came out. When 9 comes out, I hope they provide some further options to tailor the interface to our individual needs. When we start seeing Microsoft Visual Studio in an immersive Modern interface - and people actually use it - I will be totally sold on the concept. Until then, Microsoft is admitting that their OS is undeniably schizo.

    As for a Linux distro, I pledge to go this route when:
    1. Firaxis releases the current or next version of Civilization for this platform
    2. Netflix switches to a cross platform HTML5 player (that supports browsers in Linux without hacks)
    3. Steam has 600 games available for this platform - based on their current pace, I expect this will be the first of my conditions met, and soon!

  5. #5

    Default

    I had a Vista desk top machine that just kept getting worse and worse, until it could no longer recognize the internet. I ditched it when my son-in-law gave me his four year old Windows 7 machine. It runs very well and so I'm happy with it. Vista always had problems hooking up to my wifi.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by StargazerBleu View Post
    Tho I would take xp over 8 any day.
    Why on earth would you do this?

    Fancy more security holes?
    Fancy a far more unstable system?
    How about all those nice neat processes running in shared memory space without any security attached?
    Nice old 32 Bit on what must be these days mostly 64Bit systems...
    FAT32? really or even FAT16 joke file systems?
    Outdated in EVERY aspect for at least 5 years now?
    User "Security" that is basically non-existent?
    A highly outdated interface?

    Tell me, what exactly is it that makes WinXP your choice?

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Tell me, what exactly is it that makes WinXP your choice?
    not for him, but for me, it's the ease of use (although i do find 7 not bad; but i don't like it's picture viewer) and the pre-installed software on my edition.
    and i don't intend to pay Microsoft for any upgrade. to my mind, the US government (or possibly, internationally) should force Microsoft to maintain XP, and it's other OS's, for the simple reason that it knowingly sold defective products. a car manufacturer wouldn't get away with it.

  8. #8

    Default

    Windows 7 would be my first choice, mainly for compatibility and user-friendliness. I've been working with Linux Mint and a couple different flavors of Ubuntu lately, the progress they're making on them is great but Linux just isn't that practical for me to use. I still have to occasionally deal with Windows XP on some of the PCs that I have to troubleshoot at work, and the more I have to deal with it, the more I'm glad that Microsoft is finally pulling the plug on it for good.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    not for him, but for me, it's the ease of use (although i do find 7 not bad; but i don't like it's picture viewer) and the pre-installed software on my edition.
    and i don't intend to pay Microsoft for any upgrade. to my mind, the US government (or possibly, internationally) should force Microsoft to maintain XP, and it's other OS's, for the simple reason that it knowingly sold defective products. a car manufacturer wouldn't get away with it.
    ?! Whilst I am really not a defender of what microsft does with releasing "beta" (final) releases as a selling version... I really don't support your logic here.

    We would have NO advancement at all if what you want would be true (that they should be held accountable to that degree) because only a limited number of business owners would be even willing to take those risks involved.
    Also your logic is flawed: if my car suddenly stops mid-highway going 120mph and I die and cause a massive traffic accident, well it is undoubtly on a very very different scale than what microsoft ever did bad with releasing buggy software.

    Also no one forces you to use MS Stuff - so you have choices (with their own set of advantages and problems).

    And forcing them - even in theory - to continue to support a product that is truly outdated in any aspect compared to modern operating systems would be just ridiculous.

    also not paying for upgrades? why not? I mean, you don't have to do every jump, but for exampel now that win 8.1 is released it's rather stable and works well...
    Don't buy it the moment the first release hits the shelves - the same was true with XP.
    Win 2000 and NT3.51 befor that were MUCH more stable than XP ever was, especially after its initial release. Sorry, but before SP1 XP had more holes than a pasta sieve.

    And every two or three years about a 100 quid for an OS isn't that bad - upgrading your hardware is much more pricey.

    and if you want FREE: go linux

    If you want more reasonable pricing schemes on the software side: OS X.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    ?! Whilst I am really not a defender of what microsft does with releasing "beta" (final) releases as a selling version... I really don't support your logic here.

    We would have NO advancement at all if what you want would be true (that they should be held accountable to that degree) because only a limited number of business owners would be even willing to take those risks involved.
    Also your logic is flawed: if my car suddenly stops mid-highway going 120mph and I die and cause a massive traffic accident, well it is undoubtly on a very very different scale than what microsoft ever did bad with releasing buggy software.

    Also no one forces you to use MS Stuff - so you have choices (with their own set of advantages and problems).

    And forcing them - even in theory - to continue to support a product that is truly outdated in any aspect compared to modern operating systems would be just ridiculous.

    also not paying for upgrades? why not? I mean, you don't have to do every jump, but for exampel now that win 8.1 is released it's rather stable and works well...
    Don't buy it the moment the first release hits the shelves - the same was true with XP.
    Win 2000 and NT3.51 befor that were MUCH more stable than XP ever was, especially after its initial release. Sorry, but before SP1 XP had more holes than a pasta sieve.

    And every two or three years about a 100 quid for an OS isn't that bad - upgrading your hardware is much more pricey.

    and if you want FREE: go linux

    If you want more reasonable pricing schemes on the software side: OS X.
    Agree with all of this. Creating a law forcing Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP (or ME, or 2000, or 98, or 95, or 3.1, because they can't just pick and choose, right?) not only puts another unnecessary law in the books, it makes zero sense. I can't buy a car that was manufactured in the 80s, take it to a dealership, and expect them to drop brand new parts in it. Why? Because the company that made my car doesn't have the time or money to continue to support outdated products. Let's face it: Windows XP is a 13 year old operating system. Thirteen years is an eternity in IT. People throw away fully functioning computers that are half that old. If you like XP, cool, continue to use it. Just don't expect Microsoft to continue to expend resources into supporting it when their resources would be better used on developing the current version or laying a foundation for the next version.

Similar Threads

  1. Music player/management recommendation? Windows 7/Windows Phone 8
    By GoldDragonAurkarm in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2014, 01:53
  2. Concessions ending.
    By Loopygone in forum Babyfur / Diaperfur
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-Oct-2010, 14:21
  3. Ending relationships
    By Thegreenone in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Feb-2009, 08:45
  4. Done With Windows/Linux/Windows 7 Dual Boot
    By kite in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Feb-2009, 15:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.