Thread: Check out this study

Default Check out this study

Hey yall, sorry i haven't been around much, life's been crazy.

check out this data, and read the study, its a pretty definative study that presents some rather interesting stats. I t answers the age old question, "how many people actually wear diapers?"

One in 50 Teenagers Still Wet The Bed

Enjoy

That's not all that surprising, that works out to only about 2% of teens who wet the bed, that would seem about right, though I thought I had read that the percentages could be upwards of 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbike4x4 View Post
    It answers the age old question, "how many people actually wear diapers?"
    It doesn't really. It just puts a figure on the number of bedwetters.

Of all of those, few will be diapered I bet. Especially older children.

Despite the existence of products such as Goodnites/Drynites, many parents would rather try the more traditional methods such as picking up their child in the middle of the night to take them to the toilet, or seeking medical options or using alarms. Most parents want their kids out of diapers in whatever way possible and as soon as possible. It's a form of shame for them, and also for the child. Only as a last resort, out of frustration and failure to prevent the bedwetting, will they turn to diapers of some sort with older children. Even then, some still wont and just let the child wet the bed and get them to wash the sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    It doesn't really. It just puts a figure on the number of bedwetters.

Despite the existence of products such as Goodnites/Drynites, many parents would rather try the more traditional methods such as picking up their child in the middle of the night to take them to the toilet, or seeking medical options or using alarms. Most parents want their kids out of diapers in whatever way possible and as soon as possible. It's a form of shame for them, and also for the child. Only as a last resort, out of frustration and failure to prevent the bedwetting, will they turn to diapers of some sort with older children. Even then, some still wont and just let the child wet the bed and get them to wash the sheets.
    that's a good point, because to the parent failing at getting your child toilet disciplined *means* you're not a good parent...
    apparently.

I know some who see it as a competition between friends with kids, to get their kid trained first. The last thing they want is to be seen buying bedwetting pants or diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    I know some who see it as a competition between friends with kids, to get their kid trained first. The last thing they want is to be seen buying bedwetting pants or diapers.
    I seriously want to write to Kimberly Clark and Procter and Gamble and say something along the lines of "Look, you keep insisting your bedwetting undergarments are NOT diapers, so why don't you take them out of the diaper aisle?"

[QUOTE=dangermouse;152080]It doesn't really. It just puts a figure on the number of bedwetters.

[QUOTE]

You have a legitamite point there, but I hae to disagree, if you read the study in its entirity you will see that of the older teens that wet the bed, a far greater perentage have a "severe problem" than younger teens or children who wet the bed. I would argue that anybody who has delt with bed wetting, especially frequent (5-7 days/week) bedwetting would have accepted the fact the diapers are most likely the best solution. The fact that they are still bed wetters at 17-18-19 years old means that typical treatments, such as pills, fluid-intake control, etc has not worked. Also at this point the idea of having to wash the sheets everyday has prob gotten a little old. Thus for most I would bet that diapers are the solution used by those in the study, b/c if you are still frequently wetting the bed at 19 years old, you hae almost certainly tried all the other remidies out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbike4x4 View Post
    You have a legitamite point there, but I hae to disagree, if you read the study in its entirity you will see that of the older teens that wet the bed, a far greater perentage have a "severe problem" than younger teens or children who wet the bed.
    The percentage of severe problems is higher, but amongst an increasingly smaller group with age. i.e. it's 82% of 11-19 year olds with severe problems out of the 3% of those surveyed who actually do wet the bed, though it doesn't clearly break down how many of that 3% are 11-19. At 19 it's 48%, but that's 48% out of those 19 year olds who actually wet the bed (which is an even smaller fraction of that 11-19 group).

Besides, what they call "severe" is wetting numerous times a week. That doesn't mean it's a heavy amount and requires the use of diapers. They could be wetting briefly and waking up. They could be dealing with it with alarms etc.

Another thing is how many at the older ages re-started wetting when older, and how many have been wetting all their life. Quite a lot do have medical or psychological issues in their teens that bring on bed wetting. As that's a shorter period of wetting they may not have exhausted all options yet. Or they could be managing it fine anyway even if not stopping it.

Thing is, if you look around on all the medical sites on bedwetting, very few even remotely talk about using diapers in any form to deal with it. Many even strongly advise against it. The most successful way of dealing with it is actually bedwetting alarms.

Should also be stressed anyway that the survey was only carried out in Hong Kong from what I can tell from the actual abstract, but besides that you still cannot do anything but guesswork to come up with a figure for diaper wearing. The survey mentions nothing about diapers.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0
    Last edited by dangermouse; 05-Jan-2009 at 01:17.