Thread: Plastic baby diapers are back -- sort of.

Default Plastic baby diapers are back -- sort of.

For those who've never heard of them: There exists a brand of plastic-backed baby diaper called CoolDiaps. These have been around a few years, and were once even available in Babys 'R' Us stores. Tragically, they disappeared from shelves a while back and seemed to be an online-only thing.

Well...

Whilst taking my compulsory stroll down the baby aisle during my last visit to the grocery store (QFC -- a subsidiary of Kroger), I glimpsed them: CoolDiaps! Woot!!

Now, don't get your hopes up too high. At only 48.5cm / 19" long, these diapers are considerably smaller than the largest Pampers, and lack the elastic of Pampers as well. Unless you're prepared to mod them or use them as stuffers, you're better off avoiding them. Still, they are good for a diversion.

The front of the CoolDiaps package boasts "Breathable Outer Sheet," however pay it no mind. The diapers are plastic, and instead have a breathable cloth-like liner.

CoolDiaps come in three cool (or silly) prints. I'm not a big fan of the smilies and the peace signs, but I think the zebra stripes are pretty cool. I don't think I'd mind a zebra-striped adult diaper. Pardon the inconsistent color temperature; these pictures were taken with my phone.

Here's a closeup of the exterior of the zebra-striped diaper -- smooth plastic except for the fuzzy strip where the Velcro tapes land:

And here's what they look like inside:

Finally, a closeup of the inside shows the cloth-like liner that covers the wings, gathers, ... everything:

Again, although the diaper claims to be "breathable," it is not breathable in the usual way. I would question whether it's breathable at all, actually. Pour some hot water into a CoolDiaps diaper and leave it sitting on a shiny surface. After a few seconds, move the diaper and you'll note that there's no moisture under it at all -- very different from what you'd see with modern Pampers, Huggies, etc.

In terms of absorbency, although I haven't measured, I expect that these are among the more absorbent baby diapers for their size. There is SAP and padding from front to back, making the diaper uniformly thirsty.

They are unscented.

---

Want to travel back in time to the plastic baby diaper era without breaking the bank on vintage eBay diapers? Got a QFC or other Kroger store nearby? And some luck? And $3.00 or so?

There you go!
    Last edited by Cottontail; 08-Mar-2014 at 20:32.

Cool! I'll have to check the local Ralphs' and Food 4 Less

Quote Originally Posted by MOPaddED View Post
    Cool! I'll have to check the local Ralphs' and Food 4 Less
    I'd be interested to know if they've popped up in other places. Even online, they're only sold in three-packs these days, so they aren't exactly a "serious" product. They are nicely made and quite absorbent for what they are, though.

But "GroovyDiaps" might have been a better name for those smilies and peace-sign prints.

So far a recon of one of the larger Food 4 Less yielded no joy. I may resort to getting some online if they're that good

Those look pretty cool! I think they'd be fun, except that I know I don't have a prayer of fitting them.

The other way to get your plastic baby diaper fix is with Goodnites. You can actually remove the transparent outer sheet on them, and be left with a plastic, crinkly version of the original. Of course, they're not tape-up diapers, and this mod will leave them prone to leaks. But your odds of fitting them are better.

I will say though, these are a great find! For the extremely skinny or the experienced modder, I think they'd be a great diaper to wear on those days you're feeling a bit more groovy

these have been around for years and they are nothing special. they are very small baby diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    The other way to get your plastic baby diaper fix is with Goodnites. You can actually remove the transparent outer sheet on them, and be left with a plastic, crinkly version of the original.
    You can do the same with pampers. They're even easier to tear away than Goodnights.

I've noticed that the plastic in Goodnites, and I'm guessing in all so called, cloth back disposable diapers, is semi-permeable. I've been wearing Goodnites under my cloth diaper at night for smell control, trying to be as considerate as I can to my wife. If I over saturate the Goodnite, which isn't hard, the front of the diaper will leak into the front of the cloth diaper, making the cloth diaper wet. The so called plastic in cloth backed diapers reminds me of a tea bag.

Quote Originally Posted by happiesxxl View Post
    these have been around for years and they are nothing special. they are very small baby diapers.
    Well, except that they're plastic. That's pretty special, actually. (But otherwise, yeah; small baby diapers are pretty darned easy to find.)

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I've noticed that the plastic in Goodnites, and I'm guessing in all so called, cloth back disposable diapers, is semi-permeable. I've been wearing Goodnites under my cloth diaper at night for smell control, trying to be as considerate as I can to my wife. If I over saturate the Goodnite, which isn't hard, the front of the diaper will leak into the front of the cloth diaper, making the cloth diaper wet. The so called plastic in cloth backed diapers reminds me of a tea bag.
    They are indeed semi-permeable -- to water vapor! I did a little experiment a while back where I filled up one Pampers diaper with hot water and another with room-temperature water, then left them both sitting on a glass tabletop. A minute later, I looked under them and voila! Moisture under the hot-water diaper, nothing under the room-temp one. As a further experiment, I mixed a large quantity of green (or blue?) food dye with hot water, poured it in a diaper, and placed the diaper on a sheet of white paper. As with the tabletop, the paper was slightly moistened, however there was no trace of coloration at all.

So I'm not sure we can call these cloth-backed diapers leaky. But steamy? Definitely.