Thread: Plastic pants, how tight should they be ?

Default Plastic pants, how tight should they be ?

Ok, so I recently ordered Dependco cloth diaper with Velcro closure, and Terry lined diaper cover with Velcro closure.

Both of them say they are coated in PUL (what ever that means) and are waterproof. However they were not. I was leaking after the first wetting.

Absorbancy FAIL !!

I was sitting in my chair, had to pee, so I let loose. I stood up, to get another slice of pizza, and the chair was wet. WHAT THE...........???

So Im going to get plastic pants.

diaper, then diaper cover (maybe) then plastic pants. The question is, how tight (or loose/baggy) do they need to be ? Should they be tight against the diaper, or one or two sizes larger than waist ??

IF anyone has suggestions on why the leaking is going on as well, I'll take suggestions/hints.

I got my Dependeco's a couple days ago, and noticed the same thing after waking up in the middle of the night and soaking my bed. Funny thing was, the PUL cover was really damp, especially around my butt. Around the leg openings was dry though.

It is possible that I had it on wrong, as I'm new to using an aio, but isn't the PUL supposed to keep from needing a plastic pant.

pilchers

PUL is *not* waterproof. Water will seep through in areas of high pressure.

Thing s that I have found affecting leakage...

1. type of material covering the elastics. Thick material will absorb moisture and leak. Thin, tight elastics work better.
    2. If your pants are tight (the pants, not the elastic) they will cause pressure and leakage. Baggy is ok.
    3. The type of nappy is important. Most prefolds I have tried are complete garbage. Get a good quality square of terry towelling and fold it yourself.
    4. Wash the garments first to remove any treatment.
    5. DONT use too much washing powder and NEVER use softeners.
    6. Hang them on the line. Dont put then in the dryer.
    7. Wet a small amount, often... dont flood in one go.

This is my experience of using just about every type of nappies over the last 35 years!

Thanks. I received the order on Monday. I was woken up by the postman at 8:30am. I put them right in the washer and went back to sleep. Woke up again at 9:15 to pee, and hung them up. Not going to put them in the dryer.

I wear when Im in the mood, when I have the opportunity, which is usually on my weekends. I live alone, so I wear as I please. I wet when I have to (I don't hold it ever).

Im guessing you mean tight pants causing pressure (against the diaper) will cause them to leak ?

Im a big(ger) guy, and have a bit of an issue with taping myself in, and will have a problem more than likely of folding myself into a big terry cloth piece of fabric. Which is why I went with the velcro closure. However only the center is absorbant, not the sides. Need to find something like.....a towel with velcro closure.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

LittleKitten - As long as the velcro was up front, I think you had it right. And yes, I thought the same thing, it states that its "highly absorbant, and no need of plastic pants. I emailed the lady in charge, and I will post any answers she gives.

Quote Originally Posted by DONeill73 View Post
    Thanks. I received the order on Monday. I was woken up by the postman at 8:30am. I put them right in the washer and went back to sleep. Woke up again at 9:15 to pee, and hung them up. Not going to put them in the dryer.

I wear when Im in the mood, when I have the opportunity, which is usually on my weekends. I live alone, so I wear as I please. I wet when I have to (I don't hold it ever).

Im guessing you mean tight pants causing pressure (against the diaper) will cause them to leak ?

Im a big(ger) guy, and have a bit of an issue with taping myself in, and will have a problem more than likely of folding myself into a big terry cloth piece of fabric. Which is why I went with the velcro closure. However only the center is absorbant, not the sides. Need to find something like.....a towel with velcro closure.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

LittleKitten - As long as the velcro was up front, I think you had it right. And yes, I thought the same thing, it states that its "highly absorbant, and no need of plastic pants. I emailed the lady in charge, and I will post any answers she gives.
    I made sure to wash mine as soon as they came in so they would be dry in time to sleep in, as I do wet the bed most nights.

I think it might have been a mix of things that caused it to leak as I've been laying here in the same one that leaked last night (after a good washing of course) and have wet with no leaks so far. Kinda really enjoying the warm and wet feeling right now.

I tend to be a heavy wetter at times, especially if I drink water before going to sleep. I do more around a lot at times in my sleep as well. Both of those might have played a part in it.

I think I'm going to order a small and see if that does anything. I'm kinda in between sizes, with my 33" waist and 29" hips, and see if the small would be a better fit.

Should have updated earlier, but had a busy day with work and such.

I woke up at a little after 9am to find that the sheets were noticeably damp in the area I was laying. The areas that were under my thighs were significantly more damp than the rest. Also, the PUL cover was noticeably damp along the thighs and mildly damp in the butt. The diaper was also heavy when taking it off.

From that, I can guess that I'm wetting multiple times a night or flooding when I go, and causing some leakage out of the leg openings (sizing issue). Doesn't seem to be anything with my Dependecos though.

Quote Originally Posted by DONeill73 View Post

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

You need the plastic pants at first with them. It also takes 5 to 6 washings to get them fully absorbent. One question I have are you using a booster
    pad with them. I wear a booster pad with mine and I don't have any leaks.

I agree with oleman. I wear pre-fold gauze diapers along with plastic pants, and I never have trouble with leaking while in bed. Though I don't own any AIO's, I don't think they have the same absorbancy capacity as heavy cloth diapers. I wear the gauze, night weight diapers sold by the All Together Diaper Co, and they have a lot of absorbing quality.

As for the question concerning plastic pants, I have a 32" waist, and I wear small, Leakmaster high back plastic pants for sleeping. They are baggy within the body of the plastic pants, but tight around my legs and waist so that they don't leak. I own a pair of medium PUL pants which I often wear during the day. They're easy to wash and hang dry. Because they are medium, I have had some minor leaking at the legs when I'm sitting, if my diaper is especially soaked. I've not noticed that water leaks through the PUL plastic.

So Monica from Dependico wrote back and her response was as follows.

"these should not be leaking through at all...what is probably happening is that it's leaking out from the sides or the top...."

The problem probably is (and I haven't told her this cause the answer back would probably be, "Well, DUH !!" But both the diapers and the covers are the same size. So, the edge of the diaper is probably right up against the edge of the diaper cover. I'm actually getting close to 5 washings. Again, I wore them over my weekend, and washed quite a few times. I guess the saying is true, that its gonna take a while to break them in.

On another note, I sleep on my side. My peewee/drainage pipe is extremely very short, and is almost flush with the entire area. Lets just say that it tends to hide. With that, there is no "pointing it" anywhere for the pee to begin absorbing anywhere other than where gravity tells it to once it has left my body. This leads me to the problem of it either leaking on the side, or (because more weight is pressed into the bed by my hips) will leak out the top. Plastic pants, and packing tape to seal the top ??

I prefer disposable diapers and wear plastic pants over them. I like to flood my diaper until it is nice and soggy and these prevent any possible leakage. My plastic pants are snug around the waist and legs but large enough to fit over my diaper with lots of extra room. I got mine from baby-pants.com. They have nice selection of plain pastels as well as cute designs. On their products page are a couple of buttons for 'PVC Size Chart' and 'How To Size' that are helpful.