Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABDL Scholarly Article

Default ABDL Scholarly Article

A therapist and professor in Minnesota named Brian Zamboni recently messaged me about his article being published. Unfortunately, I do not have access. If any of you do (many universities give free access to the students through their library webpage) it would be great if you could read it and let us know if there is anything particularly interesting.

Here is the what he emailed me:

Hi *****,

You might remember that I did a survey via the internet focusing on ABDL. This was about 2 years ago and you may have participated. Because you contacted me, I wanted to do the courtesy of responding with the results.

Once I was able to write a paper with the results, I submitted it to a professional journal called Archives of Sexual Behavior and it took them 8 months to give me a response. That's very unusual--it usually takes about 3 months for a response. They asked for revisions, which I did. It took another 8 months for them respond, and I learned that it was being accepted for publication just last November. (The delay is not due to the content / topic. This is more or less considered to be the top journal in sexuality by most professionals in the field. I think the journal is just really busy. The editor himself mentioned that he really liked the final product.)

It is now published online and you can see the abstract if you go to their website. It will appear as a paper/official publication later, but I do not know when that is. Here is the final title and authors: "Adult Baby/Diaper Lovers: An Exploratory Study of an Online Community Sample" Kaitlyn Hawkinson and Brian D. Zamboni. I think one of the main findings is that there is strong evidence for two subgroups in the ABDL community: persons focused on role play behavior and persons who were primarily interested in sexual arousal in their ABDL behavior. There are probably additional subgroups. Also, a number of participants reported that being dominated was important to them. "Most participants were comfortable with their ABDL behavior and reported few problems. ABDL behavior may represent a sexual subculture that is not problematic for most of its participants."

I wrote this in the acknowledgments: "The authors would like to thank all of the participants for their generous time and kind support of this project as well as B. Terrance Grey for his invaluable input. We appreciate their willingness to educate us. Without their sharing, this project would not be possible."

By the way, there will be at least one more paper--I just could not get it all into one paper. That will probably start later this year.

Hope this helps--thanks again,
    Brian

I remember when this was taking place. I dont remember if i took his survey or not. I have access to this article, its pretty lengthy. Guess ill take a look.

Adult Baby/Diaper Lovers: An Exploratory Study of an Online Community Sample - Online First - Springer

It's abstract:

This internet-based study provided descriptive information and exploratory analyses on 1,795 male and 139 female members of the Adult Baby/Diaper Lover (ABDL) community. Based on prior research, some research questions focused on the degree to which ABDL behavior was associated with negative mood states, parental relationships, and attachment style. Based on clinical experience, a second research question focused on discerning two possible subgroups within the ABDL community: persons focused on role play behavior and persons who were primarily interested in sexual arousal in their ABDL behavior. The results showed modest support for the former research questions, but notable support for the last research question. Because of some overlap between the two hypothesized subgroups, additional subgroups may exist. Males in the ABDL community identified their ABDL interests earlier than females and these males may be more focused on sexual aspects of ABDL practices. Both males and females perceived being dominated as important in their ABDL behavior. Most participants were comfortable with their ABDL behavior and reported few problems. ABDL behavior may represent a sexual subculture that is not problematic for most of its participants.
    Its like my one prof always says, even professionals can write shit abstracts.

UPDATE

Found it in full. There are some formatted tables that are not going to render properly so bear with me.

Last edited by Geno; 08-Mar-2014 at 03:34. Reason: Found it.

Interesting. I'm wondering why there is such a disproportionate ratio of males compared to females in the survey.

That had been the $64k for a long while now; anecdotally it seems to reflect the gender composition of the active community.

Thanks for posting this Geno! I read it with great interest over the last little while. There's lots I'd like to say about it, but I think a few important conclusions could come from it. I think it's a good introduction, but it doesn't really get at the diversity of our community.

First there was the decision to totally cut out all the transpeople from the study - I get why, methodologically, but it is erasing a lot of people's stories and discounting a lot of important information. In fact, the very high percentage of transpeople in this community is a question that could be explored further. In general, we as a community don't fit neatly into boxes. There's not just the sexual and non-sexual ABDLs - they could have looked into babyfurs, sissies, LGs, caretakers, all the intersections of these....I know, it's just an introductory study, and I don't expect a thorough survey of everything just yet. But Rule #1 of this little culture seems to be: we don't fit into the neat little boxes. We're different. And I think any study that wants to make substantial breakthroughs in understanding us does need to reflect that fact.

I am thankful, though, for all the data. I found myself nodding with a lot of their conclusions, and looking up in surprise at others. It was also fun to read with an "elusive" female ABDL beside me, since this researcher seemed a little lost in trying to figure them out. Understanding female ABDLs, and all the other non-typical categories I mentioned earlier, would be a useful future direction for research.

Thanks for posting this, though! I hope to give it another read-through later!

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Adult Baby/Diaper Lovers: An Exploratory Study of an Online Community Sample - Online First - Springer

Found it in full. There are some formatted tables that are not going to render properly so bear with me.
    Do you think you can give us the link to where you found it. I have access to EBSCO and other things but i can not even find the full thing on there. I just really want to see the proper charts.

Quote Originally Posted by starrunner View Post
    Interesting. I'm wondering why there is such a disproportionate ratio of males compared to females in the survey.
    The ABDL community has always been skewed in favor of men.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    The ABDL community has always been skewed in favor of men.
    I used to think this. Then I went to a munch where roughly half of the people in attendance were women. When I expressed surprise that the group had achieved an equal gender ratio, people expressed surprise at my surprise. In that group, there was no perception that most ABDLs are male.

I think that most (maybe all) of the prominent online ABDL communities are skewed in favor of men. But I don't think there's good reason to think that online communities are representative of the ABDL population as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by buridan View Post
    But I don't think there's good reason to think that online communities are representative of the ABDL population as a whole.
    IIRC, men are more likely to be into fetishism as a whole. If a community isn't split m/f, it's an extremely unusual case.