Thread: Secure Browsing and File Encryption

Default Secure Browsing and File Encryption

If there's one thing AB/DL/TB's and babyfurs are concerned with, it's privacy. Even experienced computer users can be a little confused when it comes to protecting themselves online: Firefox vs Internet Explorer? Can a "hacker" access my browsing history? Is hiding pics and stories in a renamed zip folder safe?

It should go without saying that being an AB/DL is not a crime, but it is something most of us like to keep private. The information here will help protect you from the prying eyes of friends, family, and maybe the occasional nosy TSA agent.

Before I start I would like to mention that I personally use Firefox to access the internet. Some people prefer Chrome, and Mac users tend to use Safari. This section will apply to almost all browsers, but different browers have slightly different names for settings. In this article, Iíll generally assume that youíre using Firefox.

If you are currently using Internet Explorer, please use Firefox instead. Internet explorer is generally considered to be the worst major internet browser out there. You can download Firefox here.

Browsing History

The easiest way a family member or friend will find out your diaper interests is by simply checking your search history. All of the major browser have a "search bar" so you can quickly query search engines. This conveniently remembers what you were looking for in case you want to do that search again in the future. The downside is that the keywords you typed in are now saved on your computer for anyone else to find. I would wager that this is the number one way ABDL's get accidentally found out. Check out what happens when I start a search with the letter "d" in my search bar. Everything above the "suggestions" line is stuff that I have previously searched for:

Uh-oh. If you were on my computer you could tell I've been on the hunt for diapers, dog collars and the Die Hard trilogy amongst other things. The easiest and safest way to make sure your computer isn't storing your search terms is to browse while in privacy mode. In Firefox, the button is located under Tools-->Start Private Browsing (keyboard shortcut ctrl+shift+P). In Internet Explorer, itís under Safety-->InPrivate Browsing (keyboard shortcut ctrl+shift+P). This is by far the easiest and safest method to make sure people don't see your browsing habits.

When you are done browsing sites which you donít want to appear in your history, turn private browsing off and normal browsing will resume on whichever sites you were on prior to enabling private browsing.

Cookies and Web Passwords

The next thing to be aware of is cookies. Every time you access a website, the website saves a tiny little file on your hard-drive called a cookie. This allows a website to remember the links you've clicked on, the last time you logged in, and if you like they can even remember your username and password.

Cookies are not bad usually bad things, but it doesn't hurt to clear them out from time to time, especially if you don't want people to know of your little diaper hobby. To clear out cookies and delete your history in Firefox, go into Tools-->Options. Click on the Privacy tab. Click on Clear your recent history. Now you can choose what you want to get rid of. Choosing "Everything" will get rid of all search terms, history, temp files, and cookies.

The only things this wonít clear out are your saved username and passwords. To see what passwords you have saved, go into Tools-->Options. Click on the security tab. Click on Saved passwords. Click on show passwords.

Saving passwords related to diaper sites is a privacy risk. Delete any saved passwords you don't want your computer to remember, diaper-related or otherwise.

File Encyption

Creating an Encypted Volume

No matter what it is you want to store privately, be it diaper stories, babyfur art, or photos of yourself during playtime, there are some precautions you need to take. It is not good enough to just save your files in a "hidden" folder, or to zip it up and rename it. These can be found and extracted very easily with very little technical know-how. If your laptop gets stolen or you have a snooping roommate you'll be glad you took this simple step to protect yourself.

My personal choice for protecting files is to hide them in an encrypted folder using a program called Truecrypt. Once you are set up, your files are password protected in a little treasure chest so secure that even the FBI couldn't crack it with any less than a roomful of computers running nonstop for years (maybe longer).

The first thing you need to do is download Truecrypt. Install that program using the default settings. Once itís installed, run Truecrypt and click on "Create volume".

In the window that pops up, make sure "Create an encrypted file container" is selected, then click Next. In the next window, make sure "Standard TrueCrypt volume" is selected, then click Next

Now you need to pick a name for your file. You can make this whatever you like; I suggest something that no-one would ever want to click on, so that they won't arouse any curiosity. In this case I picked "CharliesAngels-FullThrottle.avi" because who in their right mind would double click that?

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you name it. If someone tries to open it, the computer will complain that there is something wrong with the file and it doesn't know what to do with it. As far as Windows/OSX is concerned, it's a broken file.

You now get to choose how strong your encryption is. Just pick AES then click Next. Now choose a file size for your container. You wonít be able to change this later, so be sure it's big enough to hold whatever you want to store. In my case I made this one 518 MB; Good enough for a few pictures and maybe a video clip or two.

Picking a Secure Password

Now you need to pick a password. This is important. Encryption wonít do you much good your password sucks.

The key to a good password is to use a combination of lowercase, uppercase, symbols and numbers, and use at least 8 characters. Here is a website that lets you check the strength of your password: Password Meter. For this example, I chose to make my password AB/DL+$$$=?. I checked the strength of it, and Password meter says it's a strong password:

Once you've entered your password and password confirmation, TrueCrypt asks you to wiggle around your mouse a bunch. This helps it add some human-created randomization into the process. Wiggle around your mouse a little, then click Format.

You will get a confirmation that your file has been created. Booyah! Now you have a very secure locker to drop your files into.

Letís do just that. In the main Truecrypt window, Click 'Select file'. Browse to your encrypted folder (In my case named "CharliesAngels-FullThrottle.avi") click on Mount, enter the password (In my case" AB/DL+$$$=?"). Click Ok. Now right-click on the slot in the Truecrypt window that now holds your encrypted folder and click Open.

An empty folder should open for you, and you can now move your private files in there. The computer should list the folder as its own separate (virtual) hard-drive. Once you are done moving your files over, be sure to click Dismount in the Truecrypt window, or the file folder will continue to appear as a virtual drive.

Now you're done, and no-one short of a team of experts armed with a wall of supercomputers should be able to crack it.

Remember Your Password!

Q: I forgot my password, how can I get those files back?
    A: You can't. Do your best to remember your password.

Q: No, seriously. I have very important files in there that I need and I can't remember it.
    A: It would take the FBI experts years on supercomputers to even have a chance at cracking it... If you forget your password, those files are gone.

Just to be absolutely clear here, you need to be absolutely sure that you pick not only a secure password, but one that you can actually remember. The goal is to keep your private files private from others rather than yourself.
    Last edited by Geno; 07-Mar-2014 at 16:18.

You also might want to make use of how to remove autocomplete results from google:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sciencedude View Post
    You also might want to make use of how to remove autocomplete results from google:
    This is a more reliable way to remove autocomplete then above.

A very good article. I would also like to suggest BLEACHBIT to help get rid of any extra temporary internet files and stuff as well.