Thread: Are Abena m4 plastic still good

Default Are Abena m4 plastic still good

I keep reading different comments and wanted to know are Abena M4 plastic still as good as they use to be?
    I just read a post saying that the plastic backed aren't up to the same standard as its cloth diapers and they have less SAP and pulp so essentially garbage by comparison.

Now 2 years ago I ran into this problem and ended up getting 2 cases at seperate times with this exact problem very low absorbency they didn't have that thick stiff feeling that m4s usually have. Was this just bad luck of getting a bad shipments?

Are this just rumors or is their plastic actually not worth getting anymore I shied away from them for 2 years because of getting the bad cases and the negative posts I've seen.

And when I contacted XPmedical he told me most of was just people just jumping to conclusions, but I want to hear from fellow users.

I'm not sure what they use to be, but I have some now and they hold a fair amount. I like them and they are my second go to diaper after Bambinos.

Quote Originally Posted by BambinoPants View Post
    I'm not sure what they use to be, but I have some now and they hold a fair amount. I like them and they are my second go to diaper after Bambinos.
    Well the fact that you like them just as good as Bambino is a good sign as to where they still stand, I tried secure xplus which is bambino and I was impressed those small fitting diapers hold a lot.
    But I had buyers remorse buying the abenas just because of some of the negative things I heard of what happened to them.
    And wanted to get Bambinos instead, or least try bellismos

I recently bought a case and can say they are good but not as good as they were 8+ years ago when I first tried them. Since then the plastic has changed (used to be thicker/ stronger) and I don't think they hold as much. I bought samples before ordering the case which included the cloth-like. The "tapes" on the cloth suck really bad!

The pros: still great quallity (from what I have seen), comfy, thick but not too thick (hides under clothes) , tapes are great and plastic backed (for now)

The cons: not as wonderful as they once were.

Quote Originally Posted by DLMunky View Post
    I recently bought a case and can say they are good but not as good as they were 8+ years ago when I first tried them. Since then the plastic has changed (used to be thicker/ stronger) and I don't think they hold as much. I bought samples before ordering the case which included the cloth-like. The "tapes" on the cloth suck really bad!

The pros: still great quallity (from what I have seen), comfy, thick but not too thick (hides under clothes) , tapes are great and plastic backed (for now)

The cons: not as wonderful as they once were.
    Do they still swell up when like they use to?

Oh thank you for the responses

Quote Originally Posted by edward321 View Post
    Do they still swell up when like they use to?

Oh thank you for the responses
    That's probably the biggest difference I noticed between M4's and bambino. Bambinos have always been a very SAP heavy diaper (talking about the pulp to SAP ratio). What this means is they swell up a TON, quite possibly more than any diaper on the market. Abena's tend to get most of their absorption quality not in SAP (although it is in there) but rather through pulp, which is why they are somewhat thicker than bambinos.

For myself, I can't stand the feeling of a mostly pulp diaper when wet, as they tend to get very clumpy and uncomfortable. Plus, the lack of a landing strip and the rather weak outer plastic on Abenas is somewhat annoying. A lot of times, the diaper simply gets ripped to shreds when the tapes are pulled off.

However, all that aside...they are still a decent diaper, as long as you can get them for a fair price. They definitely aren't what they used to be, but it's still a big jump up from stuff like Depends.

I did not try the old M4's, but the new ones are the only ones that I have found that don't leak overnight. Even Bambinos seem to. The clumping is definitely an issue, but they do still swell up quite a bit and hold loads. I find that I used to rip them when taking off, but less so now, especially with the 2 layer tapes.

Thanks everyone for the info that wanted to know, greatly appreciate it.

I can go back to wearing Abenas again ^_^

I think they're really good. Comfy and hold a lot. They're my new favorite since they changed the Bellisimos.