To Tell, or Not?

H

h3g3l

A common question that we face as a segment of society is, "whom ought I tell? When should I tell? is there a need for me to tell anyone?" This struggle arises because AB/DL behavior is, plainly put, not normal in society. This does not mean that it is "bad" or "wrong," but means that there are no social scripts and routines that people may follow when they are informed of your AB/DL orientation or attitude. Given this, there is a very high level of resistance to disclosing one's orientation or attitude on this topic. Must one disclose? If so, what terms govern this disclosure?

Disclosure of AB/DL orientations or attitudes is at best a dicey proposition and at worst may lead to the dissolution of relationships, public embarrassment, and possible continued harassment or emotional or physical discomfort. However, it is not the case that disclosure should never happen; it is instead the case that it should occur under very precise conditions, and be handled in a careful and straightforward fashion.

As this article talks about the role of disclosure as possible antecedent to relationship change (e.g. continued or further involvement, "coming clean," or termination of the relationship), it is important to outline three major relationship groups, as the terms, risks, and rewards of disclosure will differ across these groups.

I begin with a summary, and continue with a full articulation below the summary:

Friends:
  • Disclose only on a case-by-case basis and lean heavily toward non-disclosure.
  • Rewards can include something in common (rare), or a deeper level of commitment and dedication to the friend (a shared secret held in common).
  • Risks include loss of the friendship, character assassination, shunning, and destruction of other social connections.
  • Recommendation: do not disclose.

Family:
  • Disclose only on a case-by-case basis and lean heavily toward non-disclosure. For adults still living with parents, disclose only if the AB/DL attitudes and orientations are impacting your life across multiple domains, and only to siblings in rare cases. Never to children.
  • Rewards can include getting needed help (disclosure to parents as the result of needing help), having a secret in common (with siblings).
  • Risks include loss of face, shunning, embarrassment, loss of residence (for over-18s living with parents).
  • Recommendation: do not disclose.

Romantic Relationships:
  • Disclose must happen when the relationship has the potential to be "serious," but has not yet reached this point.
  • Rewards can include having something in common (rare), a deeper level of commitment and dedication, communicating honestly and openly, and having no secret skeleton waiting in the closet.
  • Risks include loss of the relationship, character assassination, and destruction of other social connections.
  • Recommendation: disclose when the relationship has the potential to be "serious."

Now let us look at the articulation of these points:

1. Friends: Friends are a tricky and occasionally fickle lot. Close friends may enjoy intimate conversations and contact with you, while looser friendships might consist of people who only vaguely know you. Friends have no right, expectation, or need to know of your AB/DL bent. If you disclose to a friend, and the disclosure goes well, they will forever be wondering if you're actively wearing in public or private whenever you are together. If the disclosure does not go well, however, you have the makings of a character assassination attempt on your hands, which can be exceedingly stressful and remove you from social functions.

2. Family: Children and siblings have no need to know about your AB/DL orientation and attitude. However, parents should be told in the event that these orientations and attitues are impacting your global functioning and daily life. What do I mean by this? Let us take the easier cases first, those of children and siblings. Children and siblings need not know of everything that happens in your life that is intimate or sexual. In the case of the former, it will--at best--be exceedingly strange , and at worst may provide ammunition with which the child(ren) may disobey or otherwise control the parent-child dynamic. Siblings might provide support and comfort if you can find this nowhere else, and you have determined that your sibling(s) will be reassuring, helpful, kind, and caring rather than cruel and uncaring. In short, if you have no other support structure for this orientation and behavior, you might be able to find this support in a sibling, albeit intellectual and emotional support rather than experientially-based support. Now we move on to parents. Disclosing to parents, when you are living at home and under their rules, is both difficult and risky. Unless your AB/DL feelings and manifested behaviors are causing harm to you or others, or causing a diminished ability to globally function within your life, there is very little payoff in disclosing to parents. Once you move out of the home, the power dynamic between parent and child will shift, but this still does not mean they need to know every detail of your intimate life, and this includes what you do in the bedroom or for fun.

3. Romantic relationships: Thus far, we have talked about relationships over which one need not be heavily emotionally invested. Romantic relationships, however, are different, in that there is an increasing level of investment up to--and through--marriage, wherein the level of investment should be complete, as the couple either sinks or swims together. Whenever a romantic relationship starts to look "serious," you should disclose. You should NEVER permit the relationship to enter a state of engagement or marriage without disclosure. I have just brought two points to bear: the conditions surrounding disclosure, and a warning against non-disclosure. Let us talk about the latter first: by not disclosing, you are not communicating fully. As engagements and marriages REQUIRE communication--full and open communication--failing to communicate now will lead to separation or divorce later, and is a good indicator of unhealthy trends within the relationship. Let us now examine the conditions surrounding disclosure: that of the "seriousness" of the relationship. When I say "serious," I am talking about a point within a relationship at which is ceases to become a passing infatuation and instead becomes an emotionally binding force. As every relationship is different, there is no hard-and-fast time-based metric that may be employed here. Generally, though, a relationship is serious when any of these things happen:
    • Sexual contact of any sort;
    • Purchasing property or real estate together;
    • Multi-night sleepovers and visits;
    • Changing jobs, locations, or housing to better suit the relationship;
    • Living together.
    Hence, the advice is to disclose in full BEFORE any of these things occur within the relationship. The cost of disclosure in a relationship may be its dissolution, but the cost of failing to communicate IS dissolution. Therefore, disclosure is a must in a genuine and open (e.g. a healthy) relationship.
    Someone who would leave you just because of a non-destructive interest you have that involves wearing diapers or using childish or infantile paraphernalia is not a person you ought trust to stand ready with you to go through life with.

With these points made, the decision to disclose or not should be much easier. Remember, though, that you have no responsibility to disclose--except in the event that you are tying your life to someone else's, as in romantic relationships that are about to turn serious--and should feel no pressure to do so. Your friends do not tell you about their masturbation habits or about whom they fantasize; conversely, you owe them no description of what you do for sexual gratification or simple, personal pleasure.

I have, in this article, covered disclosure policies toward three types of relationships--friendly, familial, and romantic. In summary: disclosure to family and friends is neither necessary nor generally advised, and must be handled on a case-by-case basis. Disclosure to a romantic partner, however, must occur before the relationship becomes serious (as defined above), but as soon as it has the possibility of becoming serious.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: DLPeakOut, CrazySmoker, Lynnie and 21 others
I told few friends on Facebook they were ok about it. Family un diceded

both my parents know about it and they weren't really upset bout it and along time ago my mom even asked if i wanted her to bye me some diapers:dunno:

Reactions: newAB43, littledub1955 and checkingoutall
well im trying to tell my mum she already knows I sometimes sleep with a paci

Reactions: newAB43 and checkingoutall
From a early age I was interested in nappies as a kid I just liked the idea of them. I speak mainly out and maybe in character.
I told my mum once when I was younger and again when I became a little more older. She said "Do you like wearing dirty nappies or clean once." My responce and not the best was "Clean I like to dirty them myself"

She is OK with me liking nappies but she dose not want to know all the time. It was only when I found out that adult babies existed that called myself a adult baby.
I origanally found it on DA and looking at babyfurs is how I became part of the furry fandom.
I joined 3 groups and one of them was a ABDL group.
The 3 groups she did not like and she said to me do not go on those groups.

It ended with me been dragged off of DA let's just say cartoon drawings of teenagers in diapers in NSFW in a situation beginning with B.
The group was called forced diaperfur.

I now know not to do that and if I do draw anyone in NSFW situation beginning with B make sure it is a furry or a adult human.

The sort version is mum is OK with it though she dose not want to keep hearing about it or seeing me obsess about it.
She is not OK with me talking to other people online about it which I am doing. :dunno:
Sorry for going off on a tangent there.

As for friends I had one at I considered my best friend in college. He is also gay and just happens to be a furry. When I said I had something to tell him Privately.
I went somewhere quitely I was a ABDL and he was cool with it.

In a diffrent college building. The student at I was with said "how embarrassing" because another student we was with bought baby wipes. Not in a ABDL sence. :rolleyes:
I said "I know something more embarrassing at I like then that" After he pestered me enough times I put it on my phone so he could read it.

He turned out to be a good friend. He is the sort of friend at you can ask should I tell that friend and he will tell you weather it was a good idea or not.
Most of the time it was not.
If you can find a friend at can tell you who you can shear your nappy interest to you have done a good job.:biggrin: That is a true good friend.

I do sometimes hint about my ABDLness
(Example) Your not all babies are you! "Sort of"
Are you a baby Angellothefox "One may say that yes"
Your a baby "Thank you very much"
(rare) Your not children "Yeah this is lesson time not age play time" (It worked everyone was silent but all the tension was on me):sweatdrop:

Doing hits like these in a situations mean you can get a little bit of your inner cub/child out there without been too. Risky.
Sorry if I spammed or flamed.

You are awesome! I told my Mom she told me get over it

• Wow
Reactions: newAB43, littledub1955, BobbiSueEllen and 2 others
Snowfox1 said:
both my parents know about it and they weren't really upset bout it and along time ago my mom even asked if i wanted her to bye me some diapers:dunno:

I had a similer story where I was trying to make makeshift nappies using toilet role from my pants, Mine gave me the choice and said "do you want to wear nappies"
(All my thoughts was saying yes) "No" "Are you sure because they have adult nappies" "No." Word to the wise never stuff damp pants down the laundry.

Reactions: newAB43 and SAPexpanded
be best not to tell your parents till you move away unless they are very easy going. as for GF's or BF's tell them when you have enough trust in them.

Another big thing that at least should determine if/who to tell is how you see diapers. If they are an inexplicable and/or compulsory part of who you are as an ab or dl, then it is a part of what makes you, well you. Anyone who has the right or should know you, should then also know this part of who you are. If however, you see diapers as being purely as a diaper fetish then only someone you share your bedroom or have sex with should know about it.

Reactions: LittleDiaperDreamer
I told my best friend recently after great consideration. Now, aside from me trusting him a great deal, I also consider the damage he could do with this knowledge to be negligible.

Of course he thought it was weird, but surprisingly he didn't ask if it meant I was a pedophile. He doesn't understand why anyone would like wearing diapers, but he promised to keep it to himself and I'm confident that he will.
I don't regret taking this step, but I wouldn't do it again if I knew the outcome.

Reactions: LittleDiaperDreamer and checkingoutall
I agree with ALL of the information provided here. I had a marriage break-up over this. When we were new, I approached her with the idea and she told me she would NEVER change diapers again. Stupidly I purged and promised myself to NEVER do it again. Although she didn't know the extent the fetish had over me at the time. Years later, I totally lost it with myself and couldn't hold back the urge and started again. Slowly at first but then it became an obsession with me. WE all know the purge. When we divorced, I became very friendly with a girl. Chatting online one night about kinks, I decided that I would tell her about my desires... it just felt right!

She has been VERY accepting and enjoys keeping me in diapers, changing my diapers and keeping me "in-line" as her sissy toddler. We started an FLR and she is very keen on keeping it going thankfully. She has disclosed to our Bull as well and he could care less, although he probably snickers about it in the background and may have told his friends about it. At this point in my life, I don't really care if disclosure happens at all, although I don't actively seek it out!

My Mom and Dad knew about my fetish but ignored it, which.. I am not sure was a good thing. I believe that by them ignoring it and not by speaking with me about it, that some psychological issues may have arisen in me. But that is a different story for a different time. Suffice it to say, I know they loved me and I know I loved them.

Fawsie11

I told an old bf once and he broke up with me soon after. I have told a friend she was ok with it and at least twice Someone that knows what I am into told other people. My family doesn't know my husbands family does.

Reactions: newAB43, littledub1955, PaddedRita and 2 others
My lady friend knows and while not "jump right in" enthusiastic about it she does help with clothes shopping. My wife who passed away more than half my life ago, was at least willing and curious about it to partake of Baby-hood. There aren't many in my IRL acquaintance to whom I've actually came out about it. Those who know I wear diapers just either believe or at least pretend that it's a strictly medical thing.

Reactions: newAB43, littledub1955, PaddedRita and 1 other person
Well I finialy let all of my family (brothers and sisters) know that yes I wear diapers, and that I do pee and poop in my diapers and I will be wearing diapers the rest of my life or until I die, which ever comes first. I even posted this information on face book with supporting photos and videos.
Needless to say things turned out just as I exspected, most of them no longer are speaking to me, and thats to bad as it is their loss not mine.

The only person that knows about me is my wife and she found out by accident ( which I know understand was a massive mistake and I should have told her earlier).

It was very hard at the time and one of the comments i got at the time was " I wish I had caught you cheating instead at least I could leave you then" [emoji22]. This broke my hart and still hurts to this day .

We worked though it and she is at least tolerant now.

I wish some times i could stop so i could be the man she wants me to be but have tryed meny times.[emoji22]

Basically be very very careful who you tell.

And you are right significant others should be told. As them finding out by accident can be so damaging.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: newAB43, littledub1955, checkingoutall and 1 other person
I do tell people I wear I have used nappies for 60 years even at school

Im 50 and probably started wanting to wear diapers around the age of 9. Reading some of the above comments I wonder if things are different today. Everyone has a different family dynamic so ultimately you have to decide for yourself. In my case I never dreamed of letting parents or friends know at all. Both my parents have passed away and can only imagine the horror they would have greeted my news. Im very close with my sister but would never even dream of telling her. I always feel our community, what we do, is generally looked at with revulsion in the wider world and relating to someone close to you about your intereset risks losing a close relationship/family connection

Reactions: newAB43 and Boobarpapa
Wonder if i should take the bumper sticker off my car? "ADULT BABY ON BOARD" just kidding! I don't have any stickers on my car only on my diapers. I always fear being classed as a pedaphile when I contemplate disclosing my secret life to friends. Sure can be lonely hiding all the time. I'm glad to be able to have this outlet to make friends and normalize this wonderful life.

• Love
Reactions: Ortler, newAB43 and littledub1955
Back