Thread: iPhone Chrome incognito tab; is it safe?

Default iPhone Chrome incognito tab; is it safe?

my question is somewhat layered, but hopefully itll make sense. here's what ive done so far. i downloaded google Chrome to my iphone 4 (jailbroken) since my parents gave it to me at the beginning of this year.along with being even slower than me in my Trigonometry class, safari doesnt let me spot-delete any histoy, and it would look too suspicious to have no history on it, hence Chrome. my first question is this:
    if i'm not connected to wi-fi, just using AT&T, and i use google Chrome's Incognito Tab to come to ADISC or any other forum, is that gonna show up later and ruin my life? (even more than last time)

question two: if i AM using wi-fi, the house verizon router, and i use Incognito Tab, can my dad find visited websites i've been to on the router?

i know it sounds stupid and i sound unhealthily paranoid, but i've learned to be extremely cautious the hard way. i know the Incognito Tab is basically InPrivate Browsing with a cooler name, but i'm just making sure, so i can be among my bretheren without fear of discovery. please help <3

-david/butterscotch

How tech savvy is your Dad? As to the second question, yes it's possible for someone who knows what he's doing to monitor Internet traffic through his router and see what sites were visited. Most people never do it though, and if his working knowledge of computers is to set up a network named linksys, he's never going to do it.

As to your first question, no it won't show up. Turn on whatever private browsing mode you're using, go to adisc, close the tab with this page on it, turn off private browsing. Nobody normally will see. Also, why is anyone other than you going through your personal phone?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    How tech savvy is your Dad? As to the second question, yes it's possible for someone who knows what he's doing to monitor Internet traffic through his router and see what sites were visited. Most people never do it though, and if his working knowledge of computers is to set up a network named linksys, he's never going to do it.

As to your first question, no it won't show up. Turn on whatever private browsing mode you're using, go to adisc, close the tab with this page on it, turn off private browsing. Nobody normally will see. Also, why is anyone other than you going through your personal phone?
    its just a regular verizon router, ordinary. idk what linksys is. but as to the second question, it is safer to use AT&T and Incognito tab than wifi? thats perfect XD and as to why would anyone besides myself be going through my phone, i have hispanic parents. i still live under their roof, and hispanic parents for the most part tend to believe they are gods. their will is to be obeyed, not questioned. stupid, yes, but remember i've been caught before, so that poured gasoline on the fire. thanks for the help!

To answer your questions:

1) Incognito tabs only prevent the history from being stored LOCALLY on that device. As far as any of the traffic, it can still be seen by all devices it passes through like the DNS server translating adisc.org to the actual internet address of the site. For the phone issue, if it is going over a 3G/4G cell signal, then only the cell company can really see the traffic (unless you proxy or encrypt your traffic).

2) If the router stores history, then yes. Even if you use incognito tabs, you are not masking your traffic. You are simply not storing any data about that session locally on your computer. Again, all the intermediary devices (such as your router, DNS server) will be able to see your traffic. For example, if you go to a coffeehouse or some place that has "free Wi-Fi", you can almost bet your traffic is being monitored by a 3rd party. This party may be legitimate or illegitimate (such as a hacker). Not that they would care what site you're going to, but just food for thought.

So, you may wonder how to prevent that traffic from being seen at all? You would have to proxy your traffic and DNS requests through a 3rd party. I can teach you how to do it both on your phone and computer. The only tricky part is finding a server to proxy to. I'm not talking about some web site to go to where you type in an address, I'm talking a SOCKS v5 tunnel. If the community is interested, I can write up a nice article on how to do this.
    Last edited by Ranthor; 07-Mar-2014 at 04:33. Reason: Elaborating

Quote Originally Posted by Ranthor View Post
    You would have to proxy your traffic and DNS requests through a 3rd party. I can teach you how to do it both on your phone and computer.
    that would be really helpful, thank you its an iphone 4, and i've got cydia and winterboard (idk if that info's relevant but it seemed worth mentioning)

i dont mind forsaking a killer parking spot in El Camino's parking lot and driving to starbucks, idc if their wifi saves where i go or if a hacker sees it, my main concern was being able to come here from wherever i happen to be without my parents knowing. i set some bait by going on a few websites dad'll get mad about if he sees (hot topic and urbanoutfitters) to see if he is actually monitoring it, but no reaction yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    . i set some bait by going on a few websites dad'll get mad about if he sees (hot topic and urbanoutfitters) to see if he is actually monitoring it, but no reaction yet.
    How can someone be mad about those I mean I know one is for stuck up preppy teens and the other is owned by paris hilton (hot topic Is a shadow of its former self since the scene kids got a hold of it)

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    How can someone be mad about those
    i have hispanic parents w0lfpack, hispanic parents for the most part think theyre gods! they think whatever their opinions are is how it is and specifically for my dad, he thinks leather jackets are gay and only girls use high top sneakers XP so out of touch, and has no idea what clothing is cool for teens my age...

though i actually dont frequent hot topic, they havent made much good stuff since like ever, just one or two things. and he thinks only gay people shop at Urban Outfitters. see the lunacy that goes on out here? i have almost no more cool clothes. hence, this is bait to see what happens.