Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning to walk

Default Learning to walk

So long story short. A couple of months ago I had an accident which resulted in a severe leg injury threatening the loss of my foot. My foot was saved thank god. But I still can't walk without falling and need an aid.

It's getting to be very tiresome and frustrating. I know I could have been worse off but I am so sick of falling back every time I try.

I just wondered if anyone else has been in this situation how did you deal with the frustration?
    And maybe a little bit of comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraindrop View Post
    So long story short. A couple of months ago I had an accident which resulted in a severe leg injury threatening the loss of my foot. My foot was saved thank god. But I still can't walk without falling and need an aid.

It's getting to be very tiresome and frustrating. I know I could have been worse off but I am so sick of falling back every time I try.

I just wondered if anyone else has been in this situation how did you deal with the frustration?
    Sorry to hear about your foot, do hope it gets better.

Anyways though I haven't been in a situation that put my legs to a point where I required assistance to walk I have had times where I get frustrated from even the tiniest of things. It happens every now and then, be it from my computer or modem going on the fritz to my day just not going right but I always tend to figure out something to do to counteract all the frustration. Most of the time I just log onto TF2, Super Hexagon or a random game I have saved on my computer to let myself just to turn all my focus to a simple task temporarily like that I can get clear my mind and return to whatever it was that caused my frustration in the first place.

Thing is that solution only works for me while I'm in the house so when I do get frustrated either by something that suddenly happened, a phone call, or anything really I tend to rely on my music. I always feel that my music is a great way of just battling it out, it kinda makes any problem look solvable and convinces me to just push foward or even just lifts my spirit if its something out of my control because it reminds me that if I keep moving foward things will eventually get better but at the same time I know I have to put a bit of my own effort to deal with the problem at hand without letting my emotions take control of me.

Might not really help with the frustrating task of getting used to walking again without a crutch of sorts but hopefully it will help you get an idea of what you can do to just keep on going no matter how frustrating it gets. Hope you get better!

yeah, years ago I was in what could be called a traffic accident.... and that one nearly crippled me.
    some doctors didn't think I'll fully recover, some said I'll never do serious sports again. proved them all wrong.
    Since then I've climbed mountains, still do martial arts, run, weights, etc... and all without pain (well but for the pain of sore muscles ).

it's been a harrowing time back then and I was really stressed out - also my IC got seriously worse at the time probably due to the stress, which - well, stressed me even further.
    But to be honest, the best thing I can say: suck it up and keep fighting. This has been my attitude ever since with dealing with those situations.
    You can't change whats happened - but you can influence whats coming. never give up, and if anyone tells you "you can't" - prove them wrong.

Not being an AB myself, so I can not comment on that aspect.

(wave's to little rain drop.....)
    Greetings little-one!
    yea, back at the end of 2011, an SUV backed into me and dislocated my shoulder.....
    i ended up with what the Doctor's called a "frozen-shoulder".... it is where the shoulder joint became encapsulated and inflamed internally and caused the whole of the shoulder to become painfully immobilized. a really big "Owie".... for me anyway...

at first i could move it a little, but it quickly became overwhelmingly painful and immobile. that is when i realized it was way more than simply dislocated. and returned to the Doctor..... who said, at my age, this may not get much better and i may be stuck with the bloody thing.

(deep sigh)

but this was my right arm, and i am right handed. i was getting desperate, honesty. i have long hair and i couldn't even comb & brush my hair out any more. what was i going to do, cut it short for the rest of my life... (i know, vanity thy name is woman..). but that was one of my worries. driving, i was starting a move to a new house, i couldn't even tie my shoes.... losing the use of an arm effects everything. just like not being able to walk is i am sure effecting your life, little rain drop...

when i think back on those times and then think of your foot, and all the stuff that i couldn't do if my foot were messed-up. that has got to be just as bad as a bad right-arm. maybe even worse as at least i could walk to the store.

i spent my time on the computer looking for special sports-medicine clinic's. the sort that professional athletes used. i had the idea that it was in one of those places that i might find a treatment that would free-up my shoulder and get me use of it again. i found a Doctor that knew of such a clinic and sent me there. and after two treatments and much therapy, i now have my shoulder back for the most part.

what i am saying here is that if you have a Doctor who is not helping you, little rain drop;
    go out and find your self a new Doctor.... use the web to learn all that you can about your condition, and the different and maybe new treatments for it. and where it is that you might get help for yourself. but got out and be pro-active and get something that works for you if what you have now isn't working.

you are worth the best! go get it.....
    lodge wrecker....
    your buds ((((Hugs))))

Thank you everyone for such good advice I will not be beaten by all this but it is so hard! And it makes it worse that I feel like I can't complain as I could have been a lot worse! But it is so frustrating when things I should be able to just do without having to think about it become a big job.

Lodgewrecker (wavey! :p)

I can really understand the shoulder pains. When I first had my accident my right shoulder was effected too which meant I couldn't brush my hair or do anything involving raising my shoulder or lowering. Luckily I can use both of my hands but as I couldn't use a crutch with my right arm or put any weight at all on my right leg my left arm took too much work and then that too was "disabled" I had many excruciating nights where nothing would ease this terrible pain in my shoulders it was the most pain I've ever felt :,(

This accident has left me in a bit of a bad way but like you guys say I can't give up and just have to keep myself occupied but not pushing myself too far too soon.

When I went under treatment for my illness (ie "The Big C"), I had to go through chemo. Although I didn't lose my ability to walk, my mobility really suffered: I couldn't run, nor walk very fast or far at all. Walking normally took a couple months to learn after treatment finished, and running took even longer.

Littleraindrop,

This is a good reminder to me as well... with significant spinal injury and deterioration... it's easy to get down about what once was...something we tend to take for granted...

The frustration is understandable... and to basically echo the prior replies here...I believe that you do have to be determined...but, that should not be confused with reckless either...as my gal-pal said...get educated...learn as much as you can...determination in the wrong direction can leave you worse off!

You have just escaped loosing a foot... you may be a ways away from the autonomy that you seek...but, I'll contend that the worst injury to overcome, is going to be to your sense of freedom, and abilities...we don't want to be too long to do the right things, but we also don't want to be too soon to do the wrong things!

Any energy that goes out against you in...hopelessness, in-retractable frustration, depression, and general negativity, and anxiety...draws from the energy of healing...

Concentrate on positive energy, and patience...forward energy of education and understanding, and healing energy...
    Treat your situation as though it is your most beloved that you are caring for...what do you do now??

While it is certainly most understandable to feel despondent...it is much to your advantage to dwell in the greater potential...your greater potential! The outcome is not set in stone...and, even if it were...pour concrete over that outcome, and reshape it!

Warmest well-wishing, more importantly our confidence in you to succeed!
    -Marka
    Last edited by Marka; 03-Mar-2014 at 00:13.

Back in 2007, I was hit by an SUV that ran a red light at 40 mph while cycling to work. I very nearly lost my left leg, and I ultimately spent about a year and half on crutches.

First things first: Are you now or have you done physical therapy? If you've had a severe injury, physical therapy is a must. Aside from the stress and pain from the injury itself, you'll have tendons and ligaments that will stiffen and shorten from disuse. You'll have muscles that will atrophy from disuse. Trying to do it all on your own is a gargantuan task that could set you much further back rather than get you ahead. Get a professional physical therapist if you haven't already. Follow his or her advice like a religion. If they tell you to do stretches and exercises, do them to the best of your ability. Don't half-ass it or fake it, because in the end the only one you'll hurt is yourself.

Also, I strongly recommend using a cane while you're getting back up to full strength. Use it in the hand opposite from your injury (left leg injury, use the cane on your right). A cane will allow you to shift weight off of your injured appendage, which will allow you to go further and longer as you recover.

Also also, take your time. I realize how hard that really is to do, oh gods do I understand how hard it is. Just remember, though, every day, you're getting closer to 100 percent. If you've overdone it one day, take it easy the next. If you feel tired, take a break, even if that means asking your traveling companions to stop for a few minutes. If you drink coffee, get a spillproof mug with a handle (and make sure it doesn't leak). It's hard to ask for help, but sometimes we all need a little help from our friends (as the song says), so if you need help carrying your lunch tray, ask.

For me during my recovery, a key to staying sane and getting better was to understand my current limitations while working to undo those limitations. Accepting a temporary limitation is not the same as giving in to it. For me, I am a pretty avid cyclist, and my big goal was to get back on the bike and riding like I had before the accident. So, I was always in a state where I had a goal, but at the same time I had to accept that I was limited to crutches or a cane or 30 percent weight-bearing or that I had to ask my co-worker to carry my lunch tray at the cafeteria or that I was going to need a few minutes to catch my breath once I got to my desk because of the far distance from the parking lot that I had to traverse on crutches.

So if none of that was helpful, I apologize. At least know that I can absolutely sympathize with you, and I wish you a speedy and complete recovery!

I got hit by a car which was going 40 mph, when I was 14 years old. Six months later I was able to return to school. The car broke both my tibia and fibula in my right leg. I was in a plaster cast for four and a half months. I had a lot of physical therapy to get me back walking. While in the cast, I got around on crutches, walking a mile uphill to my best friend's house. He was a football player, and he helped rehabilitate me after my physical therapy had ended.

My right leg was an inch shorter than my left, and I was told I'd never walk properly again. I started limping behind my friend as he ran for football. we worked together, and slowly but surely, I was running along side him.

About seven years ago, my wife's foot bones broke, something called Charcot foot, a diabetic condition caused by lack of circulation. For years she got around on an electric cart until the foot ulcer healed. Now, if she has longer distances to walk, such as in a store, she takes her walker. It has a built in seat so she can sit down and catch her breath. You might consider one of them. Usually, medicare or hospitalization will pay for them.

It definitely helps to know other people's experiences . When things like this happen it really goes to show how much we take for granted. I really admire the people who carry on after life changing events such as actually losing a limb. But it doesn't stop me from getting down about it.

I have been back to the drs but they offer little help. As for physio I have been trying at it alone but it is hard to get past the barriers of the immense pain which happens when moving my joints as like you said they are stiffening up