Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to put on a diaper

Default Best way to put on a diaper

I have always taped my diaper from the bottom up. I read that top down is the proper way. I have tried it and still can't get the proper fit. I wear 3 tab Depends because they are easy to get. When I tape one bottom side the other side doesn't cover my butt the same as the other. Should I try a new diaper? It seems like this should be pretty simple. I am afraid to order anything because I don't want to get it wrong. My first were industrial grade 3 tape and then Attends and then Depends. If you respond, then thank you in advance. I have just come back after many months and would like to be a part of the community. Like most I am alone with this.

It's way easier to align everything by taping the tops first imo. Use the wetness indicator as a reference to line it up on center with your belly button. Then, still using the wetness indicator as a reference, line up the top tapes to be equidistant from it on each side. Once you've got them taped correctly, take a good look at it and memorize how far away from the midline they are to make it easier on yourself next time. Then from there do the rest of the tapes as you like.

I've also found that with depends especially, tighter isn't always better. Leaving the elastic parts loose so that the elastic can do its job helps a lot in terms of preventing leaks.

The rest of the advice I've got really depends on how the diaper fits you. If it's small on you then there's a completely different optimal taping pattern than if the diaper is large on you.

Well, this article is actually pretty neat : How to Put On a Diaper

I don't use 3-tabs depends myself, I only ever used diapers with 2 tabs on each side and I'm basically doing what the article is showing. Usually when taping up, I use one hand to hold the diaper in place and one hand to tape the bottom tapes in a snug fit with my legs in a <> shape.

In which position do you usually do it ? I myself find that lying is the easiest way, but some people prefer to sit or stand or even lean against a wall.

By the way, why is it bothering you, is it uncomfortable or do you experience leaks ? Because as long as your diaper does the job, it's not a big problem if it's not put in a perfect way.

Quote Originally Posted by koda42 View Post
    Well, this article is actually pretty neat : How to Put On a Diaper
    heh, that article drives me nuts because that guy is clearly the correct size for that abena. For me, the middle tapes nearly overlap and I can run the bottom tapes halfway underneath. The smalls go to the opposite extreme, plus they don't make them plastic backed anymore. The only positive about being in between sizes like that is that I've got a ton of experience messing with optimal taping schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by irnub View Post
    plus they don't make them plastic backed anymore. The only positive about being in between sizes like that is that I've got a ton of experience messing with optimal taping schemes.
    You might want to double check that. I received 2 bags of plastic-backed M4 yersterday

You can buy them :
    - here, if you live in America : xpmedical
    - here, if you live in Europe : Save Express

Regarding the in-between size, it highly depends on the brand you are using. I'm in-between size for molicare (S-M) but i fit perfectly in Abena. You should check this page and see what brand might fit you best : Adult Diaper Review and Testing

irnub is correct that the *small* Abena is no longer available in plastic.

M4 = Medium Level 4. M4 and L4 are manufactured in plastic, nothing else.

Thanks for the link. I think I do put them on to tight. I like the feeling of being bound like that. I do lay down to diaper myself. I can't imagine how or why anyone would diaper themselves any other way. I guess in emergency circumstances. When I sit I can feel one side creasing into my backside. That is why I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I do have a leaking is a problem. My first diaper was Depends/Attends/ hospital type 3 tape white diapers. I am kind of stuck on that. I know that I need to change. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks for being so kind. Would you be my friend. I have none. I hope thats not weird.

Quote Originally Posted by koda42 View Post
    You might want to double check that.
    You might want to re-read the bit you quoted without chopping off the first half:

The smalls go to the opposite extreme, plus they don't make them plastic backed anymore.
    If you have a source for plastic backed S4s I'd be impressed

Why does that drive you nuts? My fear is that I buy a bunch of diapers that don't fit or ridiculous blue tapes that cover the front of what should be a clean nice white diaper. What's your story? Please.

I always do bottom first.
    It seems to make a better fit and its more comfy to me that way.

I say do what works best for you.