Thread: Rain and Stress

Default Rain and Stress

I always remember being young and loving the rain. For some reason my son is not liking the rain so I am home a little early today (okay a lot early).

Looking for some advise on how to get him use to the rain. There is no lightning or other sounds. He just seems to be have a hard time with the rain. Not taking his afternoon nap, distracted (difficultly with eating) and just not liking the stress.

I also think by me being he I am not helping ... Need some feedback...

If he is old enough to talk to. Sit down at his level and ask him to use his words to describe his feelings about the rain. Then work with him to work out any issues.

There is a thread in the group "School House Rocks" that I posted about cognitive problem solving. This is what I am referring to. Show him empathy and gather information. Hear his concern and do not trivialize it. Then work with him to find a way he can become comfortable with the rain.

I hope this helps.

Enjoying the rain is a hard sell unless it's summer and it's warm outside. As a kid, I used to love a good rainstorm. I didn't like it when it rained for two or three days nonstop, because I couldn't go out and play with my friends.

Find some rain shower vids on You Tube, or get a rainstorm CD and have some fun with it. Make a tent with a sheet or blanket and some chairs. Pretend you're camping outside in the tent, and the rain's coming down in buckets. Get a flashlight, etc. Make it fun.

I think at worst I have been indifferent to rain, perhaps aside fro preventing me going out to play as a kid. I have long appreciated this song that may have some appeal: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc5fWU8z3O0

Maybe it's because he doesn't know when it will stop so be us unsure if be will be able to go outside and play again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid View Post
    I always remember being young and loving the rain. For some reason my son is not liking the rain so I am home a little early today (okay a lot early).

Looking for some advise on how to get him use to the rain. There is no lightning or other sounds. He just seems to be have a hard time with the rain. Not taking his afternoon nap, distracted (difficultly with eating) and just not liking the stress.

I also think by me being he I am not helping ... Need some feedback...
    i don't know the age of your child, so i am just taking a shot-in-the-dark, given my experience with young-ones....

if it is raining, then you are likely experiencing a low-pressure system. even very small changes in atmosperic such as that found between a nice day and a rainy/stormy day can severely effect young children with ear infections, problems with their eustachian tube's, teething little-ones, or even those with a simple stuffy nose. i know, i have dealt with many children. even changes in outside temperature affect pressure, humidity, and therefor at times, we-little-ones.

with my children, getting them to chew something, or on something, most always helped. the working of the jaw helps in getting the different chambers within the head to equalize with outside pressure.

bellow i am placing a link to some information that may help;
    Ear infection - acute: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

hope some part of this does some good;
    lodge wrecker.....

good points in the previous

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Enjoying the rain is a hard sell unless it's summer and it's warm outside. As a kid, I used to love a good rainstorm. I didn't like it when it rained for two or three days nonstop, because I couldn't go out and play with my friends.
    ah, you wouldn't have lasted over here

yeah, and not the best time of year for learning how to cope with, or accept rain as just a by and by.
    personally, i can't stand the wind, even though i have to admit that it has it's benefits. with rain, i learned that exposure to it helped to put things into perspective, given the many types of rain and the many ways we have of dressing for it (and avoiding it). other than in the cold seasons, less clothing is better. not only does that then mean that you have dry clothes to step into, there's also a sensory pleasure with being rained upon when you can feel it against your skin.

one of my favourite experiences is of swimming [outdoors] whilst it rains. you really get a sense of 'what does it matter?', which is quite freeing, especially when see others sheltering and shivering from, and wincing at the rain.
    camping has also provided some nice experiences, when sat in a tent listening and watching the rain and how it affects all else around you.

My wife and I used to go up past Toronto to the family cottage. It often rained, and the most incredible storms were at night. My wife and I would get up in the middle of the night and watch the rain storm out over the lake, in awe with the streaks of lightning, illuminating the backdrop of the trees which surrounded Lake Harris. It was a wonderful feeling and not at all like the cold and constant rain of England. I think continuous, damp, cold rainy weather would drive me crazy.