Thread: Pacifiers (Binkies) and TMJ

Default Pacifiers (Binkies) and TMJ

I would just like to take a moment of your time to ask about a condition known as Temporomandibular Disorders (TMD). This is also frequently called TMJ. For the remainder of this post, I will use TMJ.

For those who do not know what this is, you can find some information at WebMD, or the TL;DR version is basically mouth and jaw issues like locking, popping, bad side to side and up and down movement, and painful chewing. Why is this important or why should you care? I know of at least one person who got it from pacifier use as a teen/adult.

What I want to know is, have any of you heard about something like this happening, and should we as a community be more aware of this disorder and perhaps take measures against developing this?

Thank you for your attention today.

Never herd of it. Though I dont think I use mine enough to have to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranthor View Post
    I would just like to take a moment of your time to ask about a condition known as Temporomandibular Disorders (TMD). This is also frequently called TMJ. For the remainder of this post, I will use TMJ.

For those who do not know what this is, you can find some information at WebMD, or the TL;DR version is basically mouth and jaw issues like locking, popping, bad side to side and up and down movement, and painful chewing. Why is this important or why should you care? I know of at least one person who got it from pacifier use as a teen/adult.

What I want to know is, have any of you heard about something like this happening, and should we as a community be more aware of this disorder and perhaps take measures against developing this?

Thank you for your attention today.
    Ranthor,

I had experienced symptoms of TMD of the TMJ, from years of clenching my teeth...I wonder of the pacifier sample, might also have the clenching issue??
    I broke and wore teeth down...

What Causes TMD?

The cause of TMD is not clear, but dentists believe that symptoms arise from problems with the muscles of the jaw or with the parts of the joint itself.

Injury to the jaw, temporomandibular joint, or muscles of the head and neck such as from a heavy blow or whiplash can cause TMD. Other possible causes include:

Grinding or clenching the teeth, which puts a lot of pressure on the TMJ
    Dislocation of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket
    Presence of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis in the TMJ
    Stress, which can cause a person to tighten facial and jaw muscles or clench the teeth
    Thanks!
    -Marka

I have heard that pacifier use actually helps ease TMJ. Never heard of it causing it.

I have TMJ, and I can honesty say using a pacifier at night has greatly reduced my symptoms. My jaw used to crack and my temples would swell while I was chewing, but now that rarely happens. I also used to get TMJ headaches every couple weeks, but not any more.
    If I sleep without my pacifier or a night guard for a few nights, I'll get a headache, and my jaw will pop and crack.

However, I'm sure there are repercussions to using a pacifier that doesn't properly fit your mouth.

I have had TMJ, but I wasn't using a pacifier at the time. It turned out to be caused by the fact that my mouth was too small to hold as many teeth as I had (yeah, seriously...I have an abnormally tiny mouth for an adult, apparently). I had my wisdom teeth taken out and voila. Suddenly my mouth was less crowded and the pain went away. And that same small mouth is what allows me to buy regular pacifiers instead of modded adult-sized ones.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBear View Post
    I have had TMJ, but I wasn't using a pacifier at the time. It turned out to be caused by the fact that my mouth was too small to hold as many teeth as I had (yeah, seriously...I have an abnormally tiny mouth for an adult, apparently). I had my wisdom teeth taken out and voila. Suddenly my mouth was less crowded and the pain went away. And that same small mouth is what allows me to buy regular pacifiers instead of modded adult-sized ones.
    Same as me, I've always had a small mouth and the Nuk 5 is just too big for me so I'm fine with regular baby pacifiers. I think I even remember going to the dentist as a kid and them complaining that my mouth was too small to hold the x-ray film.

I always have it when I stop sucking a paci or my thumb for a while.
    I stopped sucking my thumb for a while when I was 14 and that's the worst it has ever been!

Wow, this is neat! Thanks for the feedback everyone!