Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: time to quit

Default time to quit

so I have been addicted to smoking since i was 14.
    here in the last year i felt its time to give it up, being controlled by such an addiction and having my life revolve around it is
    really pathetic. I have quit drinking, quit using meth (clean since 94') but for some reason this "monkey" wont go away as easily.
    I am taking a program offered at my work (I work in a hospital) that is something ive not tried. so far i am changing my way of
    thinking and it is impacting me at a subconscious level, i switched from National brand smokes to additive free smokes, no neither is actually good for you but the additive free ones dont have a few chemicals that rush the nicotine to your brain nor allow it to burn faster. such as ammonia or rocket fuel.
    I am hoping that by changing the way i am thinking and by changing my lifestyle so it doesnt revolve around smoking and by adding
    the program I am really hoping this is the way to smoking freedom for me.

sides all that, being little- little ones dont smoke...
    thanks for listening

Quote Originally Posted by chronos51 View Post
    so I have been addicted to smoking since i was 14.
    here in the last year i felt its time to give it up, being controlled by such an addiction and having my life revolve around it is
    really pathetic. I have quit drinking, quit using meth (clean since 94') but for some reason this "monkey" wont go away as easily.
    I am taking a program offered at my work (I work in a hospital) that is something ive not tried. so far i am changing my way of
    thinking and it is impacting me at a subconscious level, i switched from National brand smokes to additive free smokes, no neither is actually good for you but the additive free ones dont have a few chemicals that rush the nicotine to your brain nor allow it to burn faster. such as ammonia or rocket fuel.
    I am hoping that by changing the way i am thinking and by changing my lifestyle so it doesnt revolve around smoking and by adding
    the program I am really hoping this is the way to smoking freedom for me.

sides all that, being little- little ones dont smoke...
    thanks for listening
    chronos51, Thanks for speaking on this!
    Age 12- for me, still on them...yes additive free now (tube rollies)...e-cigs were helping until I lost one battery, and the other broke...

A friend of mine has quit for several weeks now...she was like a 2-3 pack a day... just up and did it... she doesn't even know how or why...

The advice is just keep quitting, if you go back...quit again...find what works for you!

I was always dumbfounded when working at a hospital...cardiologists and RT's were out there smoking with us...we all know better, but that isn't the issue.

Never-mind statistics...what works for you...is your answer to this...I'm still looking for the right method for myself... being in a healthy state of mind may be a good place to start...

Big kudos for kicking meth!

Best wishes in your success!
    -Marka

I can't recommend quitting the way I did.
    I quit smoking by spending two weeks in a hospital on oxygen not knowing if I was going to live or die.
    I started smoking at 19 and at 39 had a massive heart attack. It really puts the fear into you when one of the best heart hospitals at the time sends you home and tells you there is nothing they can do for you.
    Thirteen years later I had five bypasses and have been doing fairly well since.
    I can't encourage you enough to stop. It won't be easy but stick to it I know you can do it.
    If you can kick meth I know you can do this.
    Last edited by Ringer; 27-Feb-2014 at 10:42.

I used to smoke a pack a day. I recall telling people that I was an expert on quitting because I did it at least once a week!

What worked for me was when I took up running. I huffed and puffed clumsily on my running route, but I felt incredible every time I finished. There's alto of talk about the 'runner's high' which is release of endorphins or chemicals that cause an induced state of euphoria. The addiction to the high from running was much better than anything I ever got from the addiction to smoking, and since the smoking interfered with running, it became easier to quit (I've been running for thirty five years).

When you simply 'quit' a habit like smoking, you feel deprived of something that has given you pleasure, even though you are aware of the health and cost issues. However, if you can find a way to replace it with a habit or addiction that is beneficial, it can change your entire outlook on life and you won't even miss it. That's what worked for me. I found my answers, I hope you find yours.

I have smoked but I was caught at age 6 when my dad found out the baby sitter had me up to one spike a day. But I have not had to go through quitting them. However I do see that you are following the national statistics and meth is easier to quit then coffin spikes.

The only thing I can say is what my friend who have do it did and it is this. You did not gut start smoking 1, 2 or 3 packs a day, so why are you going to stop that way. Put a days allotment in a container with one emergency cant handle it spike. Remove 1-5 spikes every other day until you are not needing them and then go 1 then 2 then 3 days between spikes and then work on it weekly.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    I have smoked but I was caught at age 6 when my dad found out the baby sitter had me up to one spike a day. But I have not had to go through quitting them. However I do see that you are following the national statistics and meth is easier to quit then coffin spikes.

The only thing I can say is what my friend who have do it did and it is this. You did not gut start smoking 1, 2 or 3 packs a day, so why are you going to stop that way. Put a days allotment in a container with one emergency cant handle it spike. Remove 1-5 spikes every other day until you are not needing them and then go 1 then 2 then 3 days between spikes and then work on it weekly.

I hope this helps.
    Great Idea, Egor!

I had forgot that some of my reduction attempts earlier, was to mark a chart when I had a smoke...
    The first week was just to record, when and how many... I could average that out (because sometimes we smoke a lot, and other times not as much)...
    Then I would be able to see, that I had one at noon...I would have to wait until X-time, which was increased over time...until I was down to 2-3 a day...so close to done!

...I'm going to be late for an appointment...I'll try to get back to this!
    -Marka

Quitting smoking was possibly the toughest thing that I've ever done. The nicotine patches were what finally enabled me to do it.

GOOD LUCK!

I think that weening yourself off, and not going cold turkey, is a smart thing to do. My father said that one of the hardest things about smoking is that it also becomes a psychological habit -not just physical. You get used to the feeling of a cigarette being between your fingers, you get used to the feeling of taking a drag. When you take that away, you don't really know what to do with your fingers in your free time haha.

Maybe you should look into something that will keep your fingers busy?

I wish you luck!

When I quit smoking I kept a half-empty pack of cigarettes in the pocket. So my reluctance to smoke was the only thing that kept me from smoking. The longer I refrained, the harder it was for me to pull a cigarette of the pack. However I got a bad habit to chew on different items - laces, pencils, papers, all it suddenly fell into my month. Pacifier came in handy too (when I was home).
    I didn't smoke for almost 2 years, but the habit came back at the end(