Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The World of Infantilism

CrinklySiren

Default The World of Infantilism

Upon the creation of the earth, the existence of a self-aware being lied dormant beneath the soils of the surface, slowly growing into a seed of life. As the Great Sundering of Masses took place, it unveiled the seedling and caused it to rise above the surface to reach the air and sunlight. Within millions of years it grew into a large tree with various fruits of different colors and sizes... From these fruits, came the race known as; The Infantilists. For many years they lived in harmony and peace, but soon realized they were not all the same, and began to engage in segregation and war. This war angered the great tree, and so the tree chose to end its life and attempt to take its creations with it, but failed and instead spread them far across the lands to remain sleeping in the lands of Consciousness. Upon the evolution of the Human race, they presented a unique opportunity for these souls and so the infantilists were born anew, but with no memory of their previous lives. In an attempt to reunite the community, they have found eachother and began the building of a new tree, the Great Tree Adisc. Here is where your story begins:

Ok, enough of that lol. I made this post to more properly describe the different areas and spectrums of what I am calling The World of Infantilism. I feel there is a bit or a lot of confusion in our community as to who identifies as what or misconceptions of certain labels, so I thought (in the interest of fun and education) I'd make a detailed list based on my experience of having met many people in person that belong to the wonderful world of Infantilism. Mind you, this doesn't include negative sides of being any of these, nor does it include the reasons or theories on why or what causes it.

(I'll say it in the beginning and the end. Nothing in this is definite and I am open to editing whatever is felt in large numbers to be an incorrect description. I dont make this in an attempt to offend anyone.)

The Adult Baby (AB)

Sexual Connection:

Possible, but not definite.

Description:

The Adult Baby (AB) is primarily and simply put, an adult who chooses to and enjoys behaving as a baby/toddler/child. They find comfort in objects that relate to babyhood in the adult baby’s own past (but this is not always the case, as sometimes the items of comfort can be a learned trait)

Example: Adult Baby Jessie never used plastic pants as a child, but as an adult baby grew an attachment to plastic pants as a result of knowing or learning that plastic pants are primarily a baby item.

For many Adult Babies, the play dynamic can be either sexual, emotional, or in some cases both. Adult babies usually frequent the use of diapers in their play as it is a relevant babyhood item, very rarely will an AB not include diapers to their dynamic. Rarely will an AB put any concentration on the proper function or have any intense reservation for the diaper so long as it is comfortable and fun looking, but there are a few AB’s who prefer the use of high-quality adult diapers as opposed to AB specific diapers. To an AB, a diaper is a relevant part of being a baby.

The Diaper Lover (DL)

Sexual Connection:

Ultimately yes. Non-Sexual DLs are rare.

Description:

The Diaper Lover (DL) is essentially self-explanatory; An individual who loves diapers ~ Be it for their function, feel, appearance, sound, or sexual object. DLs almost always have a sexual connection to diapers and the DL who finds a sort of calm or emotional comfort in the use of diapers (while possible) is very rare. DLs are very particular about their diaper usage and would similarly treat diapers as though they were luxury clothes – meaning that low quality diapers are often not highly regarded among DLs unless it is their only available option. There is usually a general consensus on which diaper is the best or which diaper functions the best. Some DL’s find sexual gratification in using their diapers for the intended purpose while others simply get sexual gratification from wearing alone. Because of the nature of the DL, they prefer to keep their desire secret and never display or present it out in public, as a result of its sexual nature and to abide to the decency of social behavior. DLs almost never have a connection to the AB world, and in some cases may even have resentment for the AB side of the spectrum. In my experience I have noticed that it is often difficult for a DL to comprehend the non-sexual connection of others in the Infantilism Community, but it is not always the case.

The Adult Baby/Diaper Lover (ABDL)

Sexual Connection:

Yes and No.

Description:

The Adult Baby Diaper Lover (ABDL) is simply put, the connection of both an Adult Baby and a Diaper Lover in the sense that they have a high affinity for diapers, while also having a high regard of age-regression. Diapers are an essential part of their play and dynamic and might also require a high quality diaper (depending on the person’s financial or social situation). This is a short description because one can simply refer to both the AB and DL descriptions and put them together, as it is essentially those two classifications put together with the exception of purpose.
    The purpose of this dynamic can be both Sexual in nature or Emotional in nature, and has either everything or nothing to do with the person’s past or childhood. Some ABDL’s have a higher sexual side than an emotional side, others are vice versa ~ however, it holds true that nearly ALL ABDLs consider their dynamic to have both, and not just one side.

The Age-Player

Sexual Connection:

Yes.

Description:

This term is often misconstrued or misused widely in the ABDL community because people determine that it has several different definitions or descriptions. But according to Penny Barber (author of the book The Age-play and Diaper Lover Handbook), Age-play is purely sexual in nature. Regardless of the harmless event or “scene” to be played, it always gives sexual gratification. Something as innocent as bottle feeding could be the sexual trigger for one person and a release is not always necessary.
    Others would argue that there are non-sexual age-players, but this is merely a misconception and confusion of two separate titles of the spectrum. Age-players can engage in a multitude of different play scenarios or settings ranging from Baby/Mommy or Daddy dynamics to Big brother/Little Sister or sometimes even Victorian era age-play scenarios. Diapers are not always a part of the play and often times neither is baby-behavior. The Age-player essentially regresses or progresses to a younger or older age to fit the role of the scene. Age-play is more a part of the BDSM community rather than the ABDL community because there is rarely ever a connection to the fetish objects themselves and more a connection to the scene being played out or roles being fulfilled. An important part of the Age-play dynamic is the Dom/sub dynamic, and its usually a situation regarding power play or power exchange.

The Little

Sexual Connection:

Low to Non-existent.

Description:

The Little is a highly complex part of the Infantilism spectrum, and is also a fairly new title to be considered part of the community. The Little is almost similar to the age-player with the exception of having a sexual dynamic. The Little is best described as an adult who harbors an inner child that could be almost considered a separate personality, but in reality is simply the child-like manifestation of the adult. This manifestation can be of separate gender and sexual orientation as the adult, and have different interests, hobbies, and behaviors. The Little has a high emotional connection to the material objects that signify childhood, whether its diapers and pacifiers, plushies and baby-blocks, or sometimes even a blanket and a Disney movie. Many little’s are often misunderstood and misconstrued as closeted age-players who “refuse to admit they are sexual in nature”, but it is often easy to forget that one can be both a Little and an Age-Player, and often times this is the case for many Littles, but are not both in relation. An example of such a dynamic would be the use of hand lotion for masturbation as opposed to actual skin moisturizing; the lotion itself is not sexual in nature but can be applied to a sexual situation without having any connection to the very fact that it is “hand lotion”.
    Because being a Little is not sexual in nature, often times the Little will want to express him/herself in public by dressing up in cute child-like outfits, or behaving as a child with their significant others or in some cases friends. The Little has a high regard for structure and care and is essentially a baby/toddler/child hiding in the mind and body of an adult. Emotionally, a little can be very easily traumatized and loneliness is a very painful experience for the Little, as emotions become doubly or triply heightened when the Little begins to regress.
    In many cases, the Little is always in a regressed state of mind and simply controls their childish behavior or feelings out of necessity for living a normal adult life. The Little places much importance in friendship and companionship.
    The most interesting aspect of the Little is their ability to have an regressive mental age of almost anything. A little can have a mental age ranging from Newborn months to Teen years. Often times, a Little will retain the belief that they were “born” the way they are, as a result of having Age-Regression desires from an age as early as 3 or 4; and it is because of this that almost all Littles consider their dynamic as non-sexual, because they get no sexual gratification from regressing or using their babyhood objects, but simply emotional and mental comfort.

The Sissy

Sexual Connection:

Ultimately yes. Non-sexual Sissies are rare.

Description:

The Sissy is another misunderstood, misused or misconstrued title that is often loosely thrown around the Infantilism community. A sissy is primarily a Male ABDL who has a sexual desire for being forcefully regressed into a female baby, and humiliated as a part of it. The Sissy identifies as Male in gender, even when forced into femininity, therefor inducing a sense of humiliation and shame. Being a sissy is not limited to simply being male and dressing up as a female baby, but it includes almost exclusively the forced dynamic and the public humiliation dynamic; for many sissies, the lack of humiliation or submission of power, results in an unfulfilling situation or setting. Other Sissies might argue that there is a non-sexual side to forced feminization, but it is generally considered strictly sexual in nature. Many Sissies express themselves publically as a part of their desire for humiliation, but this is not always the case as there are many who prefer to keep it indoors or within the comfort of friends and acquaintances.
    The term sissy is often used wrongfully in the Infantilism community to describe ALL people who dress up as regressed baby girls, and is often the cause of a lot of controversy. Often times, other sissy babies will see a transsexual woman dressing appropriately to their gender identity, and assume that they are also a Sissy, and this can lead to a negative outcome. It is also an occurrence for a Sissy to mistake a male adult who regresses into a female little as another Sissy, which usually doesn’t lead to heated argument or confrontation, but it is also a possibility.

Other Terms:

The LG:

A term no longer used (or slowly becoming infrequent in usage) that use to describe a person who regressed into a female gendered baby regardless of adult gender identity. Unlike the Sissy, this is essentially a Little or ABDL who is strictly female when regressed, and can be manifested in both Male and Female adult personas.

The Babyfur:

A babyfur is essentially an Adult Baby with connection to the Furry Fandom community, hence the non-usage of the word “adult” to represent a more anthropomorphic animal in its infant form; Such as a baby kitten, or puppy. The use of diapers is not always part of the dynamic, but can be included depending on the babyfur.

The Diaperfur:

Like the Diaper Lover, a diaperfur is a DL with a connection to the Furry Fandom community, with little to no regard for the baby aspect of age-regression, and solely concentrates on the wearing of diapers over a fursuit or while engaging in the behavior of their “Fursona”

Conclusion:

These titles in their description or not completely definite and do not apply to 100% of the practitioners involved in each. These descriptions are simply generalized descriptions to describe the vast majority of people included in the spectrum of those labels. It is not my intention to offend anyone by making this description nor is it my intention to label others, I simply wanted to put into concise writing what I have come to see and understand as the general description of the above labels.
    Some of the labels (such as Babyfur and Diaperfur) may be either slightly incorrect or not fully comprehended in my writing only as a result of me not being very informed on the whole Furry aspect, but I felt the need to include those labels as they are related to the Infantilism community.
    Feel free to message me or make comments if you feel something should be corrected, Please refrain from being rude or angry, as my intention was only to provide information on a basic level.

SO CHOOSE YOUR CLASS AND BEGIN YOUR ADVENTURE!!!

First of all, I appreciate the amount of effort you put into this post. I find what we are to be a psychologically fascinating, complex thing, which is kind of the main reason I still hang out here. Labeling everything accurately is pretty much impossible though, and as I've posted before not too long ago:

I'm growing more and more uneasy with drawing increasingly unhelpful lines. The distinction between AB and DL is logical - people with only a diaper fetish and nothing else will by no means identify as an AB. But I've seen a lot of labels that don't seem to make a lot of sense. [...] The diversity within the community is a good thing, of course... keeping it fresh and whatnot. But by making distinctions like this, for example between adult baby or adult little, you end up with a wide variety of shiny little boxes, all implying that what you feel is ever so slightly different from other people. It is, but you don't really need separate words for it. Besides, there's not exactly a clear border between the two anyway, so why bother? There's so few of us already. I prefer to just stick together with others like me. I don't even care if you call me an adult baby, an ageplayer or an (adult) little - I really don't feel like distinguishing them anymore. I'm all of the above.
    The AB world is probably more like a multidimensional grid. Over the years, I've seen several distinctions that all seem to be separate from each other:

- Strong attraction to diapers versus indifference towards diapers. Most AB's really enjoy wearing diapers, but not all of them do.
    - Sexual versus asexual. Self-explanatory.
    - Mostly related to childish clothing and behavior ('pedovestism') versus mostly related to a change in role (dominant or submissive). This is the thing explained in the well-known AB/DL triangle from Understanding Infantilism.
    - Regressing versus role-playing. Some people feel that they actually ARE a young child when they're in 'little mode', while others simply enjoy playing the role of a young child. This does not mean that their desires are any less important, it's just a different way of expressing those desires. Btw, I disagree with your idea about 'The Ageplayer'. Someone who does not feel he or she actually regresses, but likes to play the role of a young child, does not always do this because of sexual reasons.
    - Younger age versus older age. Some people identify as newborns, others as toddlers, still others as older kids.
    - Strongly linked to gender identity versus not linked to gender identity at all. Transgenders and transsexuals are relatively common in the AB world, and for many of them AB-related activities are important because they get to live the childhood of their actual gender instead of the childhood of their biological sex.

To take myself as an example: I have a strong attraction to diapers (1a) that is mostly sexual in nature (2a); my desires are mostly related to childish clothing and behavior (3a), which is a form of role-playing to me (4b). I identify mostly as a toddler (5a or 5b depending on where you draw the line), and all this is not linked to gender identity (6b).

There may be other factors I've forgotten. The DL world is pretty much separate from this multidimensional grid, as it's merely a fetish. However, it is the place where a lot of AB's start before they find out who they really are.

I have to say, I really appreciate this post. Like Albasion, I tend to find it interesting to discuss the psychology behind various aspects of our community. And while I personally find the term AB to be more of an all-encompassing term, I do also agree with the distinction of the term "Littles", "Age-Players", and so-on from each-other, while still accepting that there can be overlap. overall, great post

Thank you for taking the time to draft this, Emily. It's very comprehensive.

I think I might need to call question with the definition of "age-player", though. As a person who identifies as an ageplayer, it's very close to my heart. I'm… not sure who Penny Barber is, but I looked up the title you reference and note that it was published in 2011. (?) The term ageplay significantly predates that by over a decade and I would hesitate to define it based on her writing alone!

I see ageplay as an umbrella term for people who could be perceived as adopting the mannerisms of a different age than their biological own, no more or less. The wikipedia article on it is actually very accurate, in my opinion. Ageplay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Where you use the word "infantilism" in this post, I would have used "ageplay".

The key here, I think, is defining it through outside perception - not the internal experiences of a person. Basically, if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, we're going to call it a duck. In doing this, we include the widest possible range of special interest groups beneath our "ageplay" banner. Adult babies, adult baby/diaper lovers, infantilists, LGs, littles, middles, mediums, adult kids, adult toddlers, babygirls/boys, Big Babies, babyfurs… they would all fit. (As would their bigs and caregivers.)

This is not concerned with whether or not a person is sexual or nonsexual, regressive or non-regressive, "playing pretend" or "having an innerchild". It is literally about what we can see.

A lot of places in the early online ABDL community associated with the term ageplay. But I think that as more and more people come to ID with "little", there is a growing sentiment that what is termed ageplaying is somehow less. Ageplay is often (in my opinion) wrongly thought to be the exclusive domain of naughty schoolgirl roleplayers and the like. And while I would absolutely consider them to be ageplayers, I don't limit the word to them. They're just one subgroup of many, and one group that happens to be sexual.

I truly think the difficulty is that a lot of littles don't like the idea or notion that they're merely pretending to be their younger selves. I've put that in italics because it's really a relative distinction for one to make. I understand that feeling "little" is often a core, intrinsic part of a person who identifies as such. But I argue that there are ~just as many adult babies (et al) who feel that their young/baby side is a core part of them as well. It may have just as much emotional importance to them as a little's littlespace does to him or her.

I'd be curious to see a census done of people's biological age in relation to their choice of identification.

Quote Originally Posted by henni View Post
    I see ageplay as an umbrella term for people who could be perceived as adopting the mannerisms of a different age than their biological own, no more or less. The wikipedia article on it is actually very accurate, in my opinion. Ageplay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Where you use the word "infantilism" in this post, I would have used "ageplay".

The key here, I think, is defining it through outside perception - not the internal experiences of a person. Basically, if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, we're going to call it a duck. In doing this, we include the widest possible range of special interest groups beneath our "ageplay" banner. Adult babies, adult baby/diaper lovers, infantilists, LGs, littles, middles, mediums, adult kids, adult toddlers, babygirls/boys, Big Babies, babyfurs… they would all fit. (As would their bigs and caregivers.)

This is not concerned with whether or not a person is sexual or nonsexual, regressive or non-regressive, "playing pretend" or "having an innerchild". It is literally about what we can see.

A lot of places in the early online ABDL community associated with the term ageplay. But I think that as more and more people come to ID with "little", there is a growing sentiment that what is termed ageplaying is somehow less. Ageplay is often (in my opinion) wrongly thought to be the exclusive domain of naughty schoolgirl roleplayers and the like. And while I would absolutely consider them to be ageplayers, I don't limit the word to them. They're just one subgroup of many, and one group that happens to be sexual.
    Thanks for clearing that up. It sounds pretty legit. I don't mind the word 'ageplayer' as a term for everything related to what we are, just as I don't mind being called an 'AB'. See also an old topic of mine: http://www.adisc.org/forum/adult-bab...-yourself.html

I truly think the difficulty is that a lot of littles don't like the idea or notion that they're merely pretending to be their younger selves. I've put that in italics because it's really a relative distinction for one to make. I understand that feeling "little" is often a core, intrinsic part of a person who identifies as such. But I argue that there are ~just as many adult babies (et al) who feel that their young/baby side is a core part of them as well. It may have just as much emotional importance to them as a little's littlespace does to him or her.
    Yes, that's why I included that distinction in my previous post. I think that the young/baby side is a core part of all of us though. I mean, I definitely play pretend - but I really do need to have that opportunity every once in a while. I've (wrongly) used the word 'regress' before to describe the mindspace that I'm in when I'm feeling little, but now I understand that there really is a difference between the way I feel little and people who truly regress do. I think this is the crux of the Ageplayer vs. Little debate. It is also why I prefer a multidimensional scale to a series of labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Albasion View Post
    Yes, that's why I included that distinction in my previous post. I think that the young/baby side is a core part of all of us though. I mean, I definitely play pretend - but I really do need to have that opportunity every once in a while...
    I completely agree with you. I don't believe there should be a negative connotation with one playing pretend, and even if one were playing... that doesn't mean it's not important to someone. Nothing is ever that black or white. I mean, being an ABDL is setting yourself up for difficulty, no two ways about it. There are so many posts here in the forum about significant others reacting badly to it, the gear can be expensive, there's always the potential for public ostracization... If a person choses to indulge this, it is absolutely an important part of them.

In my post, I meant that it could be "core" to them as ABs in the same way that littles (can, but not always) feel littleness is to them. I mention it because, like Emily wrote, there are some littles who are in a regressed state of mind 24/7 and feel as though they have to pretend in order to interact in the real adult world (and hold down jobs, etc). That implies a level of intensity that I think goes above and beyond only the most 24/7 of adult babies.

Great thread!! You did a great job explaining everything!

Really good post thank you for taking the time to write it!

toujoursbb

Very well done indeed, Emily, brings good positive discussion!

If I may, I would add a dynamic dimension and suggest that those identifying as DL-only (appears at first glance a bit static over time) but who are still relatively young, for ex less than 30-40 yo, I mean there real chronological age... might later in life discover an AB side of themselves; one can pass from DL to ABDL over time. and I suppose that other more specific colors of our great priviledge to be little/age-player/ABDL/etc can similarly evolve over time, or because new circumstances allow for some evolution (like having a relationship with an open-minded partner, etc