Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Cartoons!!! Been having a blast with old theme songs!

Default Classic Cartoons!!! Been having a blast with old theme songs!

I know in the past I have ripped on a lot of what's on TV today and such but I do have a spot in my heart for cartoons- especially ones that I grew up in in the late 70's-80's as I was a part of what I call the Hanna-Barbara-era of Saturday morning cartoons.

I watched pretty much most of the ones based on TV shows like The Dukes, Mork & Mindy, Laverne & Shriley join the Army- and many others too- like Scooby Doo, Jetsons, Flintstones, etc- THAT was what I grew up on and I will admit tonight I've been going through memory lane, finding theme songs and adding them to my collection- including cartoons I'd almost forgotten about like Jabberjaw- I kid you not- there was a cartoon called Jabberjaw- it was about a wisecracking shark and his friends...

I know we all come from different eras, but man... I think the 80s had the best cartoons of all-time- yes I am biased! I admit that! But I wanna ask my friends here on ADISC, what era of cartoons do you like the most and which ones do you miss the most?

I also admit I miss the old Disney cartoons such as DuckTales, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck as well... used to watch those well into the 21st century until Disney stopped airing those... I even have the DuckTales DVDs!

So- what do you miss, what cartoons do you all love growing up?

There are people out there who don't know who Jabberjaw is? Yuck yuck yuck.

I miss cartoons and children's television from almost every era, but I think the 90s (and early 00s) were my favorite. I'm a 90s girl, after all. Rugrats, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Blue's Clues, Big Comfy Couch, Reading Rainbow, Magic School Bus, TMNT, Dragon Tales, Baby Looney Tunes... I was put in front of the television a lot as a kid. One thing that always makes me sad is that we didn't get the Disney Channel at home! I always wanted to watch DuckTales and Darkwing Duck.

My vote for best theme song of all time goes to Inspector Gadget.

I really like mr men and little miss but mainly the 70's ones
    Power puff girls
    Bear in the big blue house is one I'm watching lately
    Scooby doo
    Flint stones

I like all sorts of cartoons .
    I don't particularly like many if the ones that are on tv now they are way too crazy! I like it simple

I have watched a lot of cartoons in my time. Looking back, I think the 70s and 80s were some of the worst decades for cartoons and there are few that I'd care to revisit. If not for The Simpsons starting in 1989, I wouldn't shed many tears to flush the whole decade. The few bright spots that existed in concept were often ruined by bizarre child-safe guidelines (Thundarr, anyone?). I prefer up through the 60s, favoring Warner Bros. and older MGM cartoon shorts. Despite technical limitations, series that were developed for TV at least had some teeth in the 60s, such as Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, The Herculoids, etc.

I'd say things improved heading into the 90s but cartoons have and continued to follow the rule that 90% is crap. The good stuff is there if you look but there's a ton of trash.

I am of mixed beliefs. I like the old "Lonny tunes" and can watch The Flintstones, the pink panther, and Yogi bear. Then there is a few like "The animaniacs" and a few others here and their. I can at least tolerate sponge bob now, but give me my bugs bunny and Elmer Fudd, and by all means The road runner.

My family used the TV a lot as a baby sitter- I had three younger sisters so we watched a lot of cartoons when I was young... when I watched DuckTales and Darkwing Duck they were on local syndication out of Cleveland and at the time not on Disney Channel- I didn't get Disney until I had moved into my first apartment and for some reason I got it for free- when it was still an extra channel you had to pay for. I think part of that was at the time I had a small, local independent cable company before Time Warner swallowed it up.

I also forgot about Coyote vs Road Runner! Those were my favorites, so was Speedy Gonzalez, Daffy Duck and Sylvester the cat... Looney Toons were awesome! I also was partial to Yogi Bear as well- I miss the classics I grew up with. That's why last night I was going through memory lane and revisiting parts of my childhood.

I remember Jaberjaw, though it didn't think it was very good. Darkwing, however, was quite good if I remember correctly. I used to watch The Tick with my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As a kid, I grew up on the early Disney and Warner Brother cartoons, and I still think they were great. Donald Duck will always be my favorite. Fortunately, I have a number of those cartoons on DVD.

Pretty much what you said about Disney's old shows. I also miss Shining Time Station. I'm not sure if that's considered classic, but it is to me. It started my whole obsession towards trains. Another show I miss by Disney is this one here:

I'm not sure if anyone remembers it, but I do and I LOVED it so much. It brings back some good memories for me. I used to watch this every single day. <3

I miss Gummy Bears, Pirates of Dark Water, Hong Kong Fuey, Underdog, Rocky and Bullwinkle show, The Smurfs (before it got ruined by the movies), Tailspin, Darkwing Duck (LETS. GET. DANGEROUS.), Inspector Gadget, Gargoyles, Batman The Animated Series, and Johnny Quest. I'm sure I missed a few others, but I'm sure others will get them.

Oh yeah, who could forget: Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold!, Aaaaaaaaah! Real Monsters, and Road Rovers (yes, I am a furry, deal with it).
    Last edited by Ranthor; 27-Feb-2014 at 02:58. Reason: Nostalgia Trip

Oh Gosh, what don't I miss?

Lets see, some of my favorites were Pokemon, Teen Titans, Digimon, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Tom and Jerry, Loony Toons, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, The Magic School Bus, Justice League, and Scooby Doo.
    For newer stuff I also like Phineas and Ferb.

One I also really miss (and will probably download and watch next time my roommate is gone for the weekend), is Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiago. That was my favorite educational show growing up!