Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strollers/high chairs/car seats for the AB

Default Strollers/high chairs/car seats for the AB

Has anyone had much luck finding strollers, high chairs, and/or car seats that they can fit into somewhat comfortably? I found a Graco twin stroller a couple of years ago at a yard sale, and fit into it if I fold down the front seat and then sit against the rearmost backrest, but my legs are kind of forced straight out with my feet dangling. I have not found much else that really works for these items. Having safety belts/harnesses with these would be an added bonus. If you have these items, what has worked for you?

We're too big for all of them, they won't hold our weight and we're too big. We're better off with handicapped items.

Agreed. Fortunately there are a few special needs pushchairs which look close to an infant pushchair and can accommodate a reasonable cross section of ABs

I've been sitting here for about ten minutes trying to conceptualize what an AB car seat would look like. Oh gosh, the set up would be so bulky and silly. Your head would hit the ceiling with each bounce. Some things are better left to the world of fantasy, honestly. We can't have exact replicas of everything we did when we were small, but we can certainly try to adapt.

You can make a high chair of your own that would be strong enough to support you, and there are some totally radical adult strollers you can purchase from medical supply companies. As for the car seat... well... Maybe a harness set up such as this would help you feel little, while also being practical: CRELLING HARNESSES

You can rule out car seats, but it's possible depending on your size you might find high chairs or strollers designed for special needs teens.

Yeah, for the most part you'll have to either make something yourself or use equipment designed for someone with special needs.

Though I did see a carseat (well, a sort of carseat/booster seat hybrid) at a thrift store once. There's no way it would have fit me, but I'm willing to bet it would have fit the friend I was with. She's always been pretty petite.

Agreed, this is probably way out there, thought I would ask and see what others had done, if anything. I like to tinker with things, I may just play around and see what I can come up with. I do think they make car seats for special needs teens, but not sure how they would work, seems like your head would hit the car roof, as noted.

I picked up a Maclaren Major Buggy on a local used items site for well under fifty dollars. English company originally. Not rated for my actual weight but close enough for at home use. The older ones are better as they have a higher weight rating. Originally designed by someone who worked on airplanes so very strong. I dropped the footrest to a lower height. Otherwise it is stock. Shorter and lighter people may not need to do this. Folds up very compact so can go under bed or in closet. Good choice if one is under 200 / 6'.

Quote Originally Posted by henni View Post
    I've been sitting here for about ten minutes trying to conceptualize what an AB car seat would look like. Oh gosh, the set up would be so bulky and silly. Your head would hit the ceiling with each bounce. Some things are better left to the world of fantasy, honestly. We can't have exact replicas of everything we did when we were small, but we can certainly try to adapt.[/url]
    I was trying to wrap my head around that as well. You would practically need to remove the entire seat you need the car seat for just for the headroom.

i've seen adlt highchairs so they do exist out there somewhere as to where im completely stumped... i'd say a special needs site would have that and something that you could modify to be a pretty wicked adult stroller the carsea though... i dunno on that one lol