Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abena Abri-Form + (Lack of) Odor Containment

Default Abena Abri-Form + (Lack of) Odor Containment

Hello,
    In the past I've worn Depends for Men and GoodNites for boys.

Not long ago I decided to order online and try Abena Abri-Form S4. The Abenas have been quite alright I would say, they hold a fair amount of pee, they fit well and they are comfortable.

However, they have absolutely little odor containment. People say Depends are bad diapers and whatnot, at least from what I've often heard on here - however, having tried Depends I can definitely say that even though Depends may be bad overall, they certainly have a very good odor protection/containment capability. Whereas with Depend I don't ever recall smelling my own pee when I wet my diaper, with the Abena I start getting this scent/waft of my own pee and/or pee combined with the abnea diaper material - whether I wear clothes or just my diaper.

Now I am just afraid that other people will notice too and I also don't want to wear diapers anymore because I am afraid that (if it hasn't already) then the smell of pee will get onto my clothes so that my clothes will start smelling in this same way if I keep doing this long enough.

My questions are then:
    - Is it just me, or do others among you who wear or have worn Abena abri-form diapers notice that these are not good at containing the smell once the diaper is wet?
    - Is there a way to contain the smell of a diaper? Anything specific/special to do or use?
    - From your experience could you recommend other classic/traditional brief (or not I suppose) style diaper that may potentially be as good as the Abri-form AND doesn't let the smell out onto my clothes and my surroundings?

again the abri-form are pretty good in my opinion overall...but the lack of odor containment is the simple factor that would immediately make me not wear them anymore - if I can smell them wet then others around me will be able to as well. And also, don't want the smell to get onto my clothes permanently.

Thanks.

I'm not entirely sure how I would describe it, but I think they might be cloth backed and also I recall hearing in the past the abena abri-form s4 are cloth backed or something like that. But I may be wrong on this.

I've used Abena's Abri-Form, M-4, X-Plus and Air-Plus they are all great diapers that stink, literately, not only no odor control but they get their own fug when wet. I still buy & love them though as their the best.

I've used Abena M4s for years, and yes, their odor control is admittedly, not great. I don't know if its Abena though, or my diabetes, but, sometimes, especially when peeing in large quantities, I get this sickly sweet odor from them that can turn ones stomach. I have also noticed the same odor from Fabines, but I notice it much less so with lower capacity diapers, and never when wearing Depends or Attends, but wearing those have become a rare event for me these days

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie123 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how I would describe it, but I think they might be cloth backed.
    well is the outside of the diaper smooth plastic or some cloth-like material?

Plastic backed abenas were never that great for odor protection to begin with, and I've found cloth backed to be even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by bebehuey View Post
    I've used Abena M4s for years, and yes, their odor control is admittedly, not great. I don't know if its Abena though, or my diabetes, but, sometimes, especially when peeing in large quantities, I get this sickly sweet odor from them that can turn ones stomach.
    I get a little bit of that odor from my GoodNites, too, and I'm not diabetic. I think a little bit of ammonia might be involved, or something in the SAP.

Incidentally, I just tried the cotton-feel Abena M4 this week. I also disliked the smell/odor control. If you can get your hands on the plastic backed variety of Abena S4/M4/L4, by all means try it, in my opinion it's not nearly as bad.

(Also, the cotton-feel Abena M4 has REALLY sucky tapes compared to the plastic backed Abena M4.)

That's pretty much how Abenas are--good diaper, poor odor control. The plastic-backed Abenas fare a little better than the 'breathable' Air-Plus, but they still have ineffective odor control compared to a Tena Slip Maxi (my current favorite). Stay hydrated, it will help with the smell. I've found that even when hydrated, 8 hours is the max an Abena can go without smelling absolutely foul. It's less time if you aren't hydrated.

That is unfortunate then, because I really liked Abenas in everything but their odor control - but I know I definitely don't want my clothes to adopt a permanent smell of pee nor do I want others around me to notice, so I won't be using these anymore. I guess it's back to Depends or something, since at least those contain the smell very effectively.