Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early potty training

Default Early potty training

I was born during the tail end of the Baby Boomer generation, and was told that when the Boomers were very young that it was common practice by parents to have their children potty trained at least by age 2, and even before. In talking with my own Mom, she said that I was easily trained by that age, and others bragged on having their children trained way before that.

With that being said, would you think that the pressure to be trained at that age would result in the child growing up to have AB/DL desires later in life?

I don't think so. I think that anyone who potty trained as an infant was done so by conditioning. There is a group of people who do 'diaper-free' raising, where they pay very close attention to their infants by monitoring their body language and keeping track of how often they use the restroom. When they start seeing the signs that they baby has to use the restroom, the will put them on a training potty while making a peeing sound, and the baby does it's thing.

Diaper Free, a how-to - YouTube

I don't think any infant actually wants to lay in it's own feces and urine. I do, however, think that someone who was kept in diapers slightly longer than usual and has created fond memories of diapers would be more inclined to become an AB/DL

I don't think so. Even back then, the "right time to train" was the same thing; until your child is truly ready: If you train your child too early, you just end up making the process a lot longer than it has to be than it would have if you just waited a couple of months; nothing relating to AB/DL desires, though. If anything, late training is what encourages AB/DL desires more. And even then, it only plays a small portion of significance to developing such desires.

I'm an earlier Baby Boomer, but I think that potty training was one of those things that happened when the child was finally ready. I suspect that there are longer, more continuous problems if parents shame their children into potty training, or worse, are abusive.

I was adopted at the age of two, so potty training was probably hit or miss when I was in between homes. I know that I arrived in diapers to my adoptive parents, because I was threatened by my mom to be put back into diapers when I was four, and acting like a baby saying da, da. She said she still had my diapers, if I thought she was kidding!

I read somewhere that children who are kept in diapers longer than normal can develop an attachment to diapers and become AB/DLs later in life. The source also said that children who are potty trained early can become AB/DLs, because they desire what they experienced less of than everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by DownsideWave View Post
    I read somewhere that children who are kept in diapers longer than normal can develop an attachment to diapers and become AB/DLs later in life. The source also said that children who are potty trained early can become AB/DLs, because they desire what they experienced less of than everyone else.
    That's not true, people try to designate causes to something that they believe to be negative. AB/DLs have been out there for quite some time. We've come from all walks of life including age differences in potty training.

There's nothing common about us that can lead us to being AD/DLs. That would be like saying white people like rap because they were born in a black neighborhood.

Not sure, but I think the cause which drives someone to diapers as adult or adolescent could have more than one patron. I was potty trained near to three years and +/- for the same time I left paci. Not for much time, with 4 years (maybe 5) I stold my sister's paci and used it in privacy during the nights.

Have a few early memories, where I remember enjoying paci. Are very shorts, not more than half minute. But what's curious, cant't remeber something related with diaper. But I'm more DL than AB. So what ?

I was potty trained reasonably late according to my mother. Perhaps between three and four? I would also, well after I was trained, poop deliberately before she came in to get me in the morning . A rather odd thing - perhaps denoting attachment to the diapers at the age but who knows?

I have memories from around this time, but none specifically about being in a diaper or doing any babyish things. My first memory involving diapers was from a few years later. I was seven and my mum was keeping my sister's Pullups in my room. One evening curiousity got the better of me, and so I hopped out of bed and slipped one on.

I remember taking a short trip to our shared bathroom, looking in the mirror and thinking how cute I looked. This was the one and only time pullups fit me perfectly. Soon after getting to the bathroom I heard someone coming up the stairs and immediately darted back to my room. However, my Mum's friend was there on the stairs as I was crossing the landing. Luckily she was so comnpletely and utterly trashed that she face-planted the stairs just as I was running across the landing.

I'm not religious, but someone was smiling on me that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Straycatz View Post
    With that being said, would you think that the pressure to be trained at that age would result in the child growing up to have AB/DL desires later in life?
    i'd say that it would vary from person to person.
    one thing i know that it leads to is 'shy bladder' as the person has never learned sense and control, just a reflex response to given stimuli.

i've never bought the whole early training thing; from what i've seen of such things, it involves the parents lying about thier child being trained (when pushed, they'll admit to occasional accidents. when pushed further, they'll admit that such accidents are more frequent than occasional), a piss-stinking house from the frequent accidents and furniture that has to replaced after 3 or 4 years (pretty much the same time that it would take to allow a child to become ready for potty training).
    what i often have to point out to people is that nowadays, with children being kept in diapers, or suchlike, for longer, you no longer have to dodge puddles of piss in the supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    I was potty trained reasonably late according to my mother. Perhaps between three and four? I would also, well after I was trained, poop deliberately before she came in to get me in the morning . A rather odd thing - perhaps denoting attachment to the diapers at the age but who knows?

I have memories from around this time, but none specifically about being in a diaper or doing any babyish things. My first memory involving diapers was from a few years later. I was seven and my mum was keeping my sister's Pullups in my room. One evening curiousity got the better of me, and so I hopped out of bed and slipped one on.

I remember taking a short trip to our shared bathroom, looking in the mirror and thinking how cute I looked. This was the one and only time pullups fit me perfectly. Soon after getting to the bathroom I heard someone coming up the stairs and immediately darted back to my room. However, my Mum's friend was there on the stairs as I was crossing the landing. Luckily she was so comnpletely and utterly trashed that she face-planted the stairs just as I was running across the landing.

I'm not religious, but someone was smiling on me that day.
    Dionysus, maybe. That's a pretty good outcome for a first wearing effort

I agree with others here that its unlikely to be a smoking gun for us. I know some people are convinced that their potty training schedule was a trigger and perhaps it was, although I think that anything that happens so far back in our past when our personalities are forming is going to make it very hard to be definitive. I don't think it had anything to do with it for me. Not only do I not recall any part of the process (which my parents say went pretty easily) but my initial interest in diapers had nothing to do with using them. That came many years later. I'm really not that interested in speculation on causes or even answers if they were somehow available.