Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada Post discretion (help from my fellow Canadians?)

Default Canada Post discretion (help from my fellow Canadians?)

hi everybody,

i have a question escpecially for canadians who order online. i know most places ship discreetly etc. but my problem is that i live with parents still and i want to be as private as possible.

last time (which was also the first time) i ordered online, it was from agecomfort, which i asked NOT to be safe dropped by Canada Post. so i just carefully watched my email for shipping updates and visited the post office almost daily after school (its very close) until the package arrived. i walked home with it (a bit akward cause it was a big box but it worked out okay) and hid it and i thought i was good to go.

until like three days later my mom was all like "hey we have mail". the thing is, even though i asked that canada post be as discreet as possible and not ship to my house, they still left a note on our door when my diapers arrived saying "you have a package waiting". i wrote it off that time by telling my mom it was video game stuff and that i picked it up already and walked home with it but i dont want this to happen again because it was a pretty close call for me IMO.

so, canadians, do you know how i can avoid this? the problem is that we're not talking about seller discretion here.. we're talking about canada post, and i dont know their terminology enough to ask them how to ship my order.

thanks guys!

ps
    btw i'm trying to decide between spending $50 on bambinos from B4NS or about $60-65 on cloth diapers from babykins (ive never tried either). thoughts? definitely cant do both.

I don't know how old you are, or what the laws are in Canada, but I think there are UPS Stores up in the great north... If you're able to, rent a mailbox (like $100 a year or so) and have your packages shipped there.

Yeah, that's a bit much. i'm looking more at just making sure that no one knows i had anything shipped to the house. but thanks for the suggestion

Have it shipped to a UPS store, they will sign for it and hold it for $5+tax

Basically the shipping address you provide will look like this.

John Doe
    C/O UPS Store #1
    1234 Any Street
    Anytown, Province
    T2D-2H8

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverPup View Post

John Doe
    C/O UPS Store #1
    1234 Any Street
    Anytown, Province
    T2D-2H8
    I used to work at a UPS Store and I have a word of caution on this. While most store owners/managers will allow the holding of packages for non-mailbox holders for a small fee, if you have not contacted them and explicitly discussed said service, the package will likely be refused as they weren't expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverPup View Post

John Doe
    C/O UPS Store #1
    1234 Any Street
    Anytown, Province
    T2D-2H8
    My local UPS store it is $3 no tax and they need your phone number on the package or let them know it is coming and give them your name and number.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    My local UPS store it is $3 no tax and they need your phone number on the package or let them know it is coming and give them your name and number.
    Oddly enough I contacted UPS about this exact service and their reply said that they have to attempt delivery at least once before you can request a pickup at a store. Perhaps they didnt understand what I was asking, but thats the reply I got.

Canada Post hardly ever fully reads the shipping labels anyways. They get the general address and go from there. I have gotten mail for the apartment upstairs and vice-versa. (They are on different sides of the house) On my order from Age Comfort they actually left it upstairs because someone happened to be home when they came around.

You can ask to Age Comfort to "Card for pickup". Canada Post will leave you a call for to pick up at Post Office directly.

make sure to let age comfort know not to put you on their mailing list as well. You might end up with a catalog in the mail that you weren't expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by totters View Post
    make sure to let age comfort know not to put you on their mailing list as well. You might end up with a catalog in the mail that you weren't expecting.
    yup I forgot to do that and they sent them to my billing address which is my parents address.
    had to explain that one off as some how they got my address somewere, just glad they didn't send one of just diapers.