Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any bakers on here?

Default Any bakers on here?

I love to bake and I bake anything from cup cakes to actual yeast risen bread. My favorite bread so far is Anadama bread. I love the color brown without having to work so hard to get the dough right to get whole wheat to rise. I still thinking about learning whole wheat but I am waiting for the right time where it won't be difficult to keep the elements right for a big fluffy loaf of whole wheat bread.

Anyone else out there like to bake?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1473835_10200199465429347_528330560_n.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	20112

I have a bread machine that does most of the work but I get my hands dirty (doughy) now and again. I'm not great at it but I'm not too picky and it can be fun. Nice color on your loaves

There's lots of bakers and cooks here. Come and see all the recipes in the Foodies Group!

I love cooking and baking especially!

Snickerdoodle cookies, brownies, French bread, and once I was asked to make hardtack by a civil war reenacting friend.

I sent a request to the group. Thanks Zipperless I never really thought about looking for a group on this forum. Trever I appreciate the comment. I do not have a bread machine because it takes all the fun out of making bread. Plus most of my recipes that I do I have a feel for how to make them the way I like.

I need to try different ways to make my bread different than the recipes I experiment but I often times get stuck on one way to make some of the recipes that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by MLPPebble View Post
    I sent a request to the group. Thanks Zipperless I never really thought about looking for a group on this forum. Trever I appreciate the comment. I do not have a bread machine because it takes all the fun out of making bread. Plus most of my recipes that I do I have a feel for how to make them the way I like.

I need to try different ways to make my bread different than the recipes I experiment but I often times get stuck on one way to make some of the recipes that I do.
    I guess I'm more results-focused when it comes to bread. I very rarely buy it anymore, so it's just an ongoing chore. My mother made bread by hand for fifty-some years but decided that a machine was okay most of the time as well. I'll focus my creative efforts on things that aren't such staples.

i cheat and use packets
    Attachment 20124
    not one of my best, but we only have a microwave-combi and it loses heat fast, so all heat and time instructions are thrown out of the window and i go by eye and nose.
    packets are great for a small kitchen with a lack of labour-saving devices. and you needn't buy the expensive brands, the own-brand ones are often better (simpler and more homely) than the named-brands.

the only gadget i have is an electric handwhisk; great for jammy spongecake:
    Attachment 20125

of course, i do sometimes do stuff from scratch:
    Attachment 20126 strawberry and rhubarb pie.
    Attachment 20127Attachment 20128
    Attachment 20129

i hate the clean-up, though. that's probably the only time that i miss not having children.

The men in my family have always done the baking. I was 12 before I had my first slice of store bought bread. My father taught me and grandpa taught him. This goes back four generations.
    Sadly when I came down with diabetes I had to give up the carbs.
    My youngest daughter is now the baker in the family.

My wife does, and she made me promise to make her an wood fired furnace for her bread and pizza's

I like the way the bread looks. Nice colors! It reminds me of King's Hawaiian rolls but bigger in size!

- - - Updated - - -

I have not seen a jammy spongecake in years. It's got to be almost 30 years ago the last time I ate one during the holidays. My Aunt used to make a lot of jammy spongecakes. I remember I used to help my mother make fudge bars and lemon bars during the holidays. I miss those times. Good job!