Thread: will baby crib hold adult weight?

Default will baby crib hold adult weight?

I really wanba purchase a storkcraft shetfeild 2 crib from walmart its cheap and length is 59 inches which is a little bigger then most cribs. I weigh 180lb and am about 5"6. I would like to know if anyone thinks this crib would hold my weight or what I could do to make it or if there is a cheap crib thats out there that would definitely hold my weight. Need your answers and opinions before I just end up ordering it lol. Thanks.

Purchase the Storkcraft Sheffield II Fixed Side Convertible Crib at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
    Last edited by babyboy3000; 14-Feb-2014 at 11:32.

No, the bottoms of baby cribs are usually made from a thin (ply?) wood. They won't hold much weight at all, especially if you start moving around.

I would have to say it would depend on the make of the crib. For example if it was a high quality crib made out of oak, then maybe. In the description you will need to buy your own mattress. Also, they are very vague when they say made of solid wood... I assume it's probably cheap wood.

Maby you could just cut a thicker piece of plywood for the bottom so you don't fall thru.

I can just imagine sleeping in that crib in the middle of the night, and then falling through the bottom of it at 3 in the morning when the plywood gives way.

Comedy gold people.. Comedy Gold!!

Quote Originally Posted by RouteLeader View Post
    I can just imagine sleeping in that crib in the middle of the night, and then falling through the bottom of it at 3 in the morning when the plywood gives way.

Comedy gold people.. Comedy Gold!!
    Hahaha yea that would really suck

You would probably spend so much time/money on reinforcing it to make it work that it would be cheaper and better to start from scratch and make your own. Maybe use the side panels as that would be more difficult to fabricate. If you went that route you could purchase any old crib from a yard sale to use the side panels (bars) from. As always, some assembly required! Good luck, I've often thought of doing this, but don't really have the room for a crib.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2712 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	1053 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	20130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2712 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	1053 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	20130

Quote Originally Posted by babyboy3000 View Post
    I really wanba purchase a storkcraft shetfeild 2 crib from walmart its cheap and length is 59 inches which is a little bigger then most cribs. I weigh 180lb and am about 5"6. I would like to know if anyone thinks this crib would hold my weight or what I could do to make it or if there is a cheap crib thats out there that would definitely hold my weight. Need your answers and opinions before I just end up ordering it lol. Thanks.

Purchase the Storkcraft Sheffield II Fixed Side Convertible Crib at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
    Hi bb3000 Your the same size and weight as I am and I sleep in a baby crib every night and have since 2007 and it's great. Don't buy a new crib! I find that the new cribs and high chairs are smaller and not as well built as the older ones. Get an older model and be sure that it has a steel frame and spring matters support that is well attached to the crib. You will want one with a drop side makes it easer to get in and out, and casters make it easer to move around.

I got mine off used Ottawa for $50. crib and matters. It's warm and comfy.