Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: used truck thoughts

Default used truck thoughts

hey guys I need to get another used full sized pickup, due to my dodge rusting away with 80000 miles on it, any of you have any input on trucks in the 15/20000 dollar range?

I picked up a GMC Sierra last year and haven't had any issues with it. Good power, quiet and I can get about 22MPG out of it on the highway.

What sized full truck are you looking to get? Do you do alot of towing? Does your job require you to have a truck? These are questions that would help those who are into trucks (like me) help you make a decision. There are a good amount of decent used trucks out there in that price range. From halftons (Nissan Titan, Toyota Tundra, Ram 1500, Silverado 1500, Ford F150, Chevy Suburban, GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade... To 3/4 tons and one tons with or without dual wheels. (Ford F250/350, Chevy Silverado 2500/3500, Dodge Ram 2500/3500, Chevy Avalanche 2500...) It all comes down to personal preference. If I where to need to purchase a truck because my job required me to have a truck, I would go with a used silverado 3500HD Turbo Duramax with a manual transmission.

Chevrolet rust bad came from Colorado my s10 is rusting out cant believe how bad it is.
    Im in kansas .
    Fords last longer rust wise here.

First avoid Dodge!While I'm partial to Fords, my 94 Explorer has 250000+ miles and my 97 Econoline 350 23500+ and I've had many other 200k+ Fords a few friends have had near as good luck with older Chevys. Some of the older Toyotas held up well but my co-worker's newer ones have had expensive problems.

as dixon requested, a little more info, I would like full size it will be used for occasional towing of a dual axle aluminum trailer with a 2500lb tractor on it so nothing heavy duty, going to the dump on weekends, getting through snow when my car wont, and of course sitting in the driveway for a week or two at a time. I have seen two year old dodges showing rust in upstate n.y. and it gets me pissed, you pay a ton for these things and you shouldnt have to trash them due to rust, in my case my bought new 1999 truck has 79500 miles always maintained never ever beat on it, should have rolled along for another 100,000 mi. at least. I see every manufacturer seems to have rust issues but can someone tell me which seem to hold out the longest?

If you want to find one that won't rust out quickly, could be worth doing some research on rustproofing techniques used on the various trucks, to see any differences.

I'm partial to chevy's but like kiwiboi said look into rust proofing it. I've heard of people rhino lining the bottoms of the trucks and wheel wells. Also look into getting a Cathodic protection system, a couple of my buddies have it and says it does a fine good job.

coming from my 288,000 mile ford diesel Id buy another ford although my brothers duramax is closing in at 188,000

if you do any towing the diesel is worth the investment

Get diesel it will save some money for towing and if it will just sit during good months the cost of diesel wont hurt you much. They feel like they have more power than they have. My 2008 3500 ram does about 25 mpg unloaded ant about 25 mpg hauling a 2 car goose neck flat bed with two full size trucks on the back. Dont even have to down shift to 5th on hills unless its retardedly steep.