Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just... Russia...

Default Just... Russia...

... So the Sochi Winter Olympics kicked off - in style - yesterday, in spite of all the negativity surrounding the place and in spite of the deafening, persistent calls for a boycott of some sort.

Even as a gay man myself, I cannot see the sense in that - wrecking athletes' four years hard work for no discernible result.

But in light of the ever-worsening news stories streaming from the country (including a documentary here in the UK), and continued defence of a ludicrous "anti-propaganda to minors' law, what's to be done?

People speaking out, however "influential" they may seem to be, and Google 'rebranding' are great to see, yes, but in real terms - in the lives of the thousands of repressed, beaten and humiliated gay people in Russia alone - what impact do they have?

How do you feel, gay or straight? Is there a solution?
    Is Putin at all justified in his actions?
    Are we really condoning it by pressing ahead with the Winter Olympics?

I deplore Putin's stance against homosexuality, but why punish athletes because of one idiot. I've read a number of articles about the Russian Olympics, especially in The Washington Post. Putin, according to the Post, wants to make a statement to the world, using the Olympics, showing Russia off as a modern country. He wants trade deals and world investors. But the Olympic boondoggle has blown up in his face, hotels not completed, and water that can neither be drunk or bathed in. He has serious security problems because of the way he has dealt with Chechnya.

So let the athletes pursue their dreams, something they deserve, and let Putin reveal his true self to the rest of the world.

Realistically, its Russia. What do you expect? They do not take influence from anyone else in the world and do not care for the opinions of others. Remember who we're talking about, the former soviet union that almost ended the world

I have a good friend that was in the previous Summer Olympics that is a lesbian. I actually asked her just yesterday what she thought of the situation.

When I asked her opinion on whether or not people should boycot Sochi, she replied (and I quote) :

"F**K NO."

In her eye, and mine to a different extent...the nonsense spewing from Putin's piehole was...in a way, doing a service to to LGBT community. Much like the thread posted about the British politician who blamed poor weather on gays, the anti-gay stance of Russia shows and ugly, outdated, and in many ways laughable view of homosexuality to the entire world. It should, and is being seen for what it is by most of the world. In that way, it will most likely end up helping the cause of LGBT.

My view is that by giving their stupid views undeserved attention by threatening boycots, and getting ridiculously upset, is giving the issue more attention than it deserves. Much like Google did, with putting up their pro-LGBT logo, and yet not issuing an official statement, I think we're better off treating the whole situation like you would a bratty screaming child.

Just ignore it, and let their archaic hate speech self destruct upon itself.

And what are you waiting from Putin and his friends ? He was colonel of KGB before... That's Rusia.

I wouldn't worry about anyone's athletes getting targeted for being gay. For Russia to target any foreign citizen would cause relations with that country to go to the toilet let alone during the Olympics a time that is supposed to be surrounded in universal peace. I wouldn't worry about it while the Olympics are going on. After the Olympics however it'll probably start up again, but we won't have to worry about it. That may sound harsh but getting in a fuss over something we can't control and don't have a stake in doesn't help anyone. Even if you do worry about it the news won't cover it once we've left so out of site out of mind. It is horrible that this happens but there's nothing america can do about it short of invading all I can say is I hope the gay community there leaves for a country that is more accepting.

I am just getting tired of all the nonsense, it's mainly a bunch of propaganda that is being spread where we take all the good things from what the olympic games are. CNN and a lot of other media have ruined the Olympic games, and as for my concerns, if they intend to do this again next time, then please lets just stop the nonsense and have no more Olympic games from now one.

It has never been intended as a political tribune of some sort, it is a sport event, but we must have all forgotten that.

And there has really not been a single decent word to Russia, while they have done their utter best to make these games possible, why don't just say, "thanks Russia for all your hospitality and your efforts". Instead of all the stupid people this world is rich, there is not one sentence that includes either the word Sochi or Olympic that does not start or end with a gay law.

It's good to stand up for human rights, accept that not one country even has the rights. Especially not the US where even the most basic human rights are not present, but also every other country in the world has its one crimes and there is not one innocent who should speak.

After all, it is a law that prohibits the discussing of being gay while there are children present. I am not saying I support this, because I do not, however I find it really hard to believe that this would have any significant impact on the freedom of gays in their daily life.

Then again, I look past the well oiled propaganda machine and I enjoyed the spectacel, with deep respect to the Russian efforts to make this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanSuperman View Post
    ... So the Sochi Winter Olympics kicked off - in style - yesterday, in spite of all the negativity surrounding the place and in spite of the deafening, persistent calls for a boycott of some sort.

Even as a gay man myself, I cannot see the sense in that - wrecking athletes' four years hard work for no discernible result.
    I won't be watching the Winter Olympics because I hate sporting events! Buuuut... I don't see how boycotts would wreck participating athletes' hard work. Surely a gold medal is a gold medal, whether anyone's watching you or not...? But I don't know what athletes get out of participation... Is it just the 5 minutes of fame? Does the world owe the athletes their eyeballs as a mark of respect to their multinational corporate sponsors for flogging burgers and sugary drinks and trickling a small amount of the profit into athletes in order to boost the public perception of their unhealthy products...?

I just don't get it. Sorry sports fans!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I don't see how boycotts would wreck participating athletes' hard work. Surely a gold medal is a gold medal, whether anyone's watching you or not...?
    Most boycott suggestions revolved around countries not sending teams to Sochi at all.

http://freepatriot.org/2014/01/18/pu...nt-touch-kids/

Ohhh, Russia! Putin, being the progressive that he is , says gays are welcome in Russia... as long as they don't touch the kids. It's incredible that a country can outlaw pro-gay information so that the government can go about it's merry way spreading hateful, misinformed propaganda about gays.. Yesterday a dozen gay activists were already arrested.

Here in Canada, many municipalities have raised the rainbow flag for the duration of the Olympics to show their support for gay rights across the world.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded a well planned boycott of the Olympics, but I don't think it is feasible. It would have to take in two components: not sending athletes to Sochi, and boycotting the sponsors of the Olympics. A boycott would have to have the support of the majority of the largest countries to be effective and I don't believe that's currently the case. That's not to say it's a dead issue, I just think that it would be more effective for the global community to continue putting pressure on Russia and all countries who have atrocious human rights records to recognize the value and equality of all individuals in this world.

On the other hand, just about every country that has hosted the Olympics were suckered in by the IOC about the alleged 'benefits' and spinoffs but the truth is that costs are sometimes double what the host country has anticipated. The costs for security and infrastructure, for example, always exceed the estimates, and the expected increase in tourism just doesn't happen. Then the government responsible spends years manipulating the actual costs to the taxpayer. Russia will be no exception.