Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songs that mean the most to you?

RainbowShy

Default Songs that mean the most to you?

I'm curious to know what songs mean the most to you.

For me, it would be the song My Immortal. It's one of the many songs that remind me of my ex-best friend/sister. She wasn't my real sister, but she was like one. I loved her to death because she always accepted me. Then one day she stopped talking to me, and wanted nothing to do with me. I tried to get her back so many times, but she refuses to talk to me. This song is one of the ones that holds a special place in my heart because of her. Because I've tried so hard to tell myself that she's gone, yet she's still with me all this time. It's really hard to explain. :/

Another song that means a lot to me is Try by Simple Plan. This song saved my life. I was literally ready to die when someone mentioned it on Tumblr. I literally started bawling when I heard it.

I have a lot of songs that mean a lot to me, but those are two that I can think of right off the bat.

Bohemian Rhapsody. My life turned around when I heard that song. I don't know why, it just did.

Being a very dedicated musician to the point where music is my life, I had to really think about this one. For me, my best guess would be Dream Theater's "Wither". The song's lyrics are about the struggles with song writing; about how you take your time, pouring your heart and soul into your creations and making them your best effort. And about the horrors of writer's block and how your best ideas seem to come crashing down at the slightest hesitation. It's a song I very well relate to, and that's why it touches me so.

Dream Theater in general is a band that doesn't cease to amaze me as far as technical proficiency, song writing, and overall musicianship goes. All of their songs have a special place in my heart and I always look to them whenever I need inspiration or my mood lifted.

Pink Floyd's "The Great Gig In The Sky" is a song that holds a special place with me because it reminds me of my first love and all the great times we had together. Avenged Sevenfold's "I Won't See You Tonight Part 1" touches me in a very similar manner when concerning everyone else I've lost throughout my life.

Yes's "Roundabout" was a song that motivated me deeply to keep playing piano. Same thing goes with pretty much all the classical music I listen to.

At this point, I think I can assign a song to every single thing about my life, and they all retain their own unique and personal significance. So it's really hard to actually decide which ones mean the most to me.
    Last edited by ClandestineWing; 04-Feb-2014 at 07:48.

Quote Originally Posted by ClandestineWing View Post
    Being a very dedicated musician to the point where music is my life, I had to really think about this one. For me, it's Dream Theater's "Wither". The song's lyrics are about the struggles with song writing; about how you take your time, pouring your heart and soul into your creations and making them your best effort. And about the horrors of writer's block and how your best ideas seem to come crashing down at the slightest hesitation. It's a song I very well relate to, and that's why it touches me so.

Edit: Adding more, hold on.
    I love Dream Theater, a lot of their songs have a place for me. Not only the lyrics but the emotion portrayed by their music alone as well.

As I Am is a powerful example for me.

Enemy Inside grew on me as well.

Solitary Shell, even though a song about autism, speaks to me as well.

Spirit Carries On, is about dying wondering if there is more than life itself.

Silent Man, Pull Me Under, Beneath the Surface, so much more.

I can go all day about Dream Theater.

Corey Taylor is also a pretty good artist as well.

I'm having trouble finding bands to listen to without it boring me (thanks to Dream Theater).

If anyone can recommend me some good music to find, I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    I love Dream Theater, a lot of their songs have a place for me. Not only the lyrics but the emotion portrayed by their music alone as well.

As I Am is a powerful example for me.

Enemy Inside grew on me as well.

Solitary Shell, even though a song about autism, speaks to me as well.

Spirit Carries On, is about dying wondering if there is more than life itself.

Silent Man, Pull Me Under, Beneath the Surface, so much more.

I can go all day about Dream Theater.

Corey Taylor is also a pretty good artist as well.

I'm having trouble finding bands to listen to without it boring me (thanks to Dream Theater).

If anyone can recommend me some good music to find, I'd appreciate it.
    Have you tried Symphony X? They're pretty much a heavier Dream Theater. I'd also recommend Between The Buried And Me and Protest The Hero for the same reason. I've also been digging a lot of Mastodon and Machine Head lately if that helps.

Have you tried Symphony X? They're pretty much a heavier Dream Theater. I'd also recommend Between The Buried And Me and Protest The Hero for the same reason. I've also been digging a lot of Mastodon and Machine Head lately if that helps.
    I have Symphony X's discography, they are an amazing band as well. Most prog metal bands turn me off with their singing. To cheesy for me lol.
    Protest the Hero is great as well.

Any new comers out there that are worth the checking out?

RainbowShy

I forgot to mention the songs Angels Among us by Alabama and Someone's Watching Over Me by Hilary Duff. Both of these songs remind me of my grandfather who passed away before I was a year old. My mom always told me was my guardian angel. I've believed her this whole time, and it's almost as if I've known him my whole life because he's always there.

This song always reminds me of him too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6kdgchSAJ8 Mainly when this is sung:

When the storms would come
    And things would seem so bad
    And I'd wanna cry
    Almost
    I'd listen to my dad (Grampie)
    He promised that the rain would pass
    The day would soon be fair
    And I never was afraid because
    He's always there

Always there
    Someone you can count on
    To comfort you
    Always there
    Like a green, green valley
    You can come home to

Quote Originally Posted by LokiofSassgard View Post
    I forgot to mention the songs Angels Among us by Alabama and Someone's Watching Over Me by Hilary Duff. Both of these songs remind me of my grandfather who passed away before I was a year old. My mom always told me was my guardian angel. I've believed her this whole time, and it's almost as if I've known him my whole life because he's always there.
    Music always touches us the most when we're the most vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    Any new comers out there that are worth the checking out?
    As far as new comers go, not yet. I'll keep my eyes out for just about everything this year, though; I believe Transatlantic's new album immediately sets a high bar and indicates that this is going to be a fantastic year for music.

Martika 'Toy Soldiers'

This song haunts me everytime I listen to it. It brings me back to probably the most influential 2 weeks of my life. I was 16 and visiting relatives in Michigan with my family. I met the "girl next door" who was a friend of my cousin. There were afternoons floating on a small row-boat in the slough that traversed the shaded woods behind Lake Superior. She treated me like a rock star and I was never enamored by anyone like that since.

I first heard this song on the small radio that we had with us and Casey Kasem introduced it and played it. The following year was spent recalling every moment with her in my thoughts. We would write letters to each other and I finally got to see her again the next summer. I had planned many romantic moon-lit nights with her on the white sands of Lake Superior but they never came true. We had grown apart and the 2000 miles that seperated us took it's toll.

This one song encapsulates all of that emotion and reminds me still today that I am better-off for getting to spend such precious time with her.

- - - Updated - - -

Pink Floyd's "The Great Gig In The Sky" is a song that holds a special place with me because it reminds me of my first love and all the great times we had together.
    This is a great tune! One of my favorites.

This is a kinda cool song from Aussie Rapper_Allday. self explanatory I guess.

Claude Monet - Allday - YouTube

Sometimes I get overwhelmed
    But I breathe deep and i tell myself
    Remember the kid you are
    Remember the kid you are
    Sometimes i get overwhelmed
    When I'm stressed out and im not myself
    Remember to kid you are
    Remember the kid you are