Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting opinions from those who are not skydivers

Default Wanting opinions from those who are not skydivers

I don't know how many of you have seen this story: Owner of skydiving company denies parachute problems led to teen - Dallas News |

Being a skydiver myself, I've read through as many articles as I can, researched the reports on what actually happened, and have come to my own conclusions on the matter. I have my opinion on the matter, especially when it comes to responsibility.

There are a few things that are not put forward in this article that I think are relevant.

1. Both her mother and father signed a release form to allow her to jump, doing so at the drop zone in front of witnesses.
    2. The family actively sought out a drop zone in Oklahoma because those near their home in Texas would not allow her to jump until age 18.
    3. The father is upset now, saying that the drop zone should have never let her jump because she wasn't 18.

I just want to get opinions from those who are not in this sport: do you think that the family should be allowed to sue the drop zone? My personal feeling is that any judge worth their salt should laugh a case like this out of court. After all, why should this be any different than handing the keys and controls of several thousand pounds of killing machine over to a 16-year-old?

Your thoughts?

If they signed the release I'm pretty sure the case will be dismissed, as long as it's legal for someone under the age of 18 to do it. So sad though, the family is obviously going through a lot so I feel for them.

I did the sky diving thing once (was a thing with a bunch of people at work), but wouldn't really consider myself a sky-diver.

My opinions mirror yours. It's bad enough when people do something dangerous and then lawyer up when something goes wrong, but when there's waivers and training and restrictions (in this case on age) that have to be skirted, all designed to tell you the risks and remind you at every stage that what you are doing is dangerous.. trying to sue when something goes wrong is just maddening. It just speaks to this culture we seem to have now where everything is someone elses fault.

I've only skydived once. And I pretty much agree with everyone else. If they signed the waiver, then they agreed to the risk of something like this happening. Its a shame that this happened, but they took the risks and signed the waiver.

I've never skydived. I feel she and her parents signed away their right to sue. Here in CT that doesn't matter, like many states one can't sign away their rights. With proof of defective equipment or it's handling they will have a good day in court and Drop Zone's insurance carrier will have to pay up. Even in the unlikely event it is proven the girl had a death wish a jury might still feel sorry for the family and bankrupt the company.

Depends on what all the release paper says.
    If the girl signed it too and she was 16, she
    should have a little understanding of the risk involved.
    More so her parents should know what they were signing.

May not be right, but if they signed something, then not much the law can do.
    Its like those extreme rides at amusement parks, they have you sign
    things too.
    Know what you are signing before you actually sign.

Something went wrong that caused serious injuries and great financial loss. There is a dispute over who is responsible. This is exactly why there is a court system. The court will look over the waiver but a waiver doesn't relieve the company from all responsibility. It's unlikely the family's lawyers will claim the girl was too young to make the jump. The focus will most likely be on whether or not proper procedures were followed in the packing of the chute and in the preparation for and execution of the jump itself.

If all the forms are signed, I do believe this is just a tragic accident. I don't believe that anyone is responsible for it financially. I think it's extremely sad though. No matter what you're doing, you have to be aware that there are risks to whatever you're doing in life. Skydiving is no different. Even professionals have accidents now and again.

I know nothing about this incident. But as long as the company was not negligent in the packing of the chute then I see no lawsuit. It is sad that the family is now saying she should not have been aloud to do it at her age after pursuing a place that would allow her to jump at a younger age. People always want to blame someone else but s*** happens.

If you signed the form, you knew exactly what you were signing up for. As just2 said, as long as it wasn't an error on the part of the company that sets it all up, they should be safe.