Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scared to drive : (

Secret

Question Scared to drive : (

So I just got my learners permit like a week ago and my parents are nagging me about driving places with them so that I can practice my driving, but I am kind of hesitant. I have seen pictures of terrible accidents with cars and like dudes without heads and well I guess that kinda scared me out of driving. Like I feel that if I drove right now that I would end up crashing into something and being severely wounded or something

Has anyone gone through this, and does anyone have any tips on how to get over my fear or the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Secret View Post
    So I just got my learners permit like a week ago and my parents are nagging me about driving places with them so that I can practice my driving, but I am kind of hesitant. I have seen pictures of terrible accidents with cars and like dudes without heads and well I guess that kinda scared me out of driving. Like I feel that if I drove right now that I would end up crashing into something and being severely wounded or something

Has anyone gone through this, and does anyone have any tips on how to get over my fear or the road?
    I was kind of scared...But once you start some, it gets a lot easier...Then you just can't wait to get your license

I was a bit scared being behind the wheel and one of the scariest things that i done in drivers ed was driving on the innerstate, that was really nerve wrecking. The big key though is to try to keep calm and then every thing will be ok.

I got my learners permit a while ago and I still can't even really stand being behind the wheel. <_>

I have NO idea why I hate driving so much and if I don't drive its really going to affect my life for the worse.

EmeraldsAndLime

Hmm, do you have to display any kind of sign on your car to show that you are still on a learners permit? If so, then the biggest thing you have to remember is to not worry! People will see that you are learning and will simply overtake you and/or give you enough spacing so that you don't have to worry too much about them. Of course, you'll always get the dickheads who think they are awesome for intimidating learner drivers, but pay them no mind. If they tailgate you or whatever, just slow right down so they'll get annoyed enough to overtake you!

And always remember that you have more control over the car the slower you go. Even if a sign says the limit is 40, or you don't think you can handle a corner well enough, or whatever... just slow down! Don't let pride get to you and don't feel like you have to perform for other people. That's a quick way to getting involved in an accident.

Aside from that, make sure you check your rear-view mirror every so often, as well as your speedometer and most importantly - stay focused! No matter how long someone has been driving for, there is simply no "perfect driver". Every time you go out onto the road, not only do you have your life in your hands, but your passenger's lives, other motorist's lives and pedestrian's lives as well. Essentially, be alert to your surroundings and hope you can spot an accident in waiting. If someone else is speeding, back off from them, try to judge when lights will go red so you can begin your slow-down, watch for pedestrians who look like they're going to cross the road, look out for obstacles, etc...

Just a few good pointers I received when I was learning:
    • When you see a traffic light go yellow, quickly judge your distance and either speed up and go through it or begin to stop immediately. Don't hesitate, make one decision or other - don't decide to do one then opt for the other later. That will only lead to you going through a red light.
    • When driving, not only should you look at the car in front of you, but the car in front of that one as well. Logic dictates that if the 2nd car in front of you is braking, then the car directly in front of you will begin to brake soon as well, and therefore you will have to brake. This gives you a bit more extra time in decision making.
    • Really know how your car works. Know it's limits, how it runs, how it operates internally, etc... the more you know the better you'll be able to handle it.

I know that seems a like a lot to take in, but trust me when I say that after a while it'll all become automatic. Don't let worry sap the fun out of driving for you! It can be a hugely fun, exhilarating and liberating experience, so enjoy it!

I remember driving with my friend when he had recently got his licence, and I pressured him to go on the 6 lane 400 series highway in my town. This was about 9pm, when all the truck drivers come out. He was scared witless, lol, but we were only on it for 5km or so. Still, after that, he never had a problem. You just need to get used to it.

Secret,

They're right, the more you drive, the more comfortable you will be with driving. Its like learning any complex process, in that you start off with a high level of uncertainty.

My dad let me drive every now and then (on back roads in rural areas and LARGE empty parking lots) 2 years before I got my learners permit at 15, and I remember the thrill (scariness) of just trying to keep the car between the lane markers when going 20 mph. The upshot was that by the time I went for my license test, I had no fear, and only lost points for not coming to a complete stop for a "right turn on red" procedure.

Point is, my man, you will get it, and when you do, it'll be great.

I'm 17 and still don't have my licens, for a few reasons.

The lesser of all the reasons is that it's scary. I have gotten nervous, but nothing bad enough where this is the only reason.

I'm a huge money saver, and i don't go out a lot. To me, geting a licens would mean I could drive if i wanted to, but i never want to, and it would be a waist of the very expencive insurance.

You need 50 hours on your permit to get your licens now. that is a LOT. And, i can't stand driving with my dad, whom is the only person who wanted to take me driving. He's just as bad of a backseat driver as he is a backseat gamer, which is really bad. Really the only time i get scard while driving is while he's shouting a million instructions at me at once and i get overloaded.

And the last reason why i don't want my licens is because i'm a terrible driver. I've almost gotten into 5 accidents and only 2 of them with another car. I've almost hit 2 mailboxes, and i've almost driven into a ditch. I think the big reason i'm a bad driver is because i have always slept in any moving vehicle. So while driving, i'll start to doze, which will never end well.

I'll probably get my licens when i'm 35 as a midlife crises.

Don't worry about it. I had two driving lessons after I got my provisional licence. Two, because I found it absolutely the most frightening, terrible thing that I had ever done. I was taken home early in the middle of the second lesson by the instructor because I broke down in the car crying. I HATED it sooo much. It was such a horrible experience that I am still frightened of ever trying to learn again. You could be far worse off - you have niggling doubts about getting into an accident. I practically pissed myself with fear whenever I was put incharge of a car, even though I didn't know why.

All I can say is just go drive somewhere quiet. If that doesn't frighten you after you have done it a few times, then slowly work up to busier areas. You aren't like me - it isn't irrational abject terror from the sound of it. Unless you find it absolutely terrifying you should be able to push yourself into it. Build up slowly, I am afraid the best way though something like this is to push yourself.

And remember, there are people a) just like you and b) even more frightened of it then you are.

A car is a machine that can kill yourself and others, that is, if you allow it. Be responsible and even if your friends drive like if they had a NASCAR car or if tell you to do so, ignore them at all costs, it's for your own good. Then again, there's nothing to be worried about, it's actually more relaxing than it looks =) just be responsible, cautious and don't ride your car for everything.