Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My "Rugrats" connection

Default My "Rugrats" connection

I swear by my reputation that the following is true. Although it could potentially out me, I think that's a minimal risk because it's too cool not to share.

My dad invented "Reptar."
    He was inspired by me as a five year old obsessed with the Ninja Turtles and extrapolated the "little boys loving green scaly monsters " trope. As part of the "first season team," he only wrote one episode, he doesn't own the rights, but obviously his name is in the credits as the writer (for anonymity I'm not going to specify, since he co-wrote it with another writer).

I remember having a party when I was, I believe, six or seven, watching tthe episode, which was entitled "Incident in Aisle 7," a very early episode where Grandpa takes Tommy grocery shopping.

Over the years we've gotten a few free Rugrats things including a quilt, which I am currently using on my own bed

My sister even got a Reptar tattoo.

Holy guacamole! Your dad invented Reptar!? I adored that thing when I was a kid! Good grief... just like Viacom to snatch up the rights to someone else's creation... this point actually makes this much more believable.

That is awesome! I love rugrats I wish it came on more often.

Thanks guys for not reacting with outright disbelievement (I get that a lot)

Incidentally, my grandfather on the other side of my family, my mom's side, was Phil Crossman, one of the patentholders for air hockey. He was an engineer. Sadly he passed away a few years ago.

I'm sorry to here that. Air hockey is a great game even tho most of the time I always loose at it.

Thanks for your condolences. We had a table for a while in the basement, it was a hand-me-down from a wealthier family friend.

He was someone who definitely inspired me when I was a kid. I had a lot of scientific interests he encouraged, like rocketry and biology, and he himself was quite the futurist, as am I. He had... very prescient ideas about transportation, from the point of view of someone looking at ways of making mass transit more environmentally friendly. He worked on weapons for the military that were able to triangulate the sound of sniper fire, control interface systems for NASA during the Skylab Project. They used to call him "The Father of Ergonomics." He was also a sailor, he had a boat called "The Morning Star."

That's really cool. Rugrats was and still is one of my favorite cartoons. I especially love them now that I've an adult because a year ago, I converted to Judaism. There aren't many Jewish holiday specials for kids, except when it comes to Rugrats. I always watch their Hanukkah and Passover episodes around the holidays. That show was really great and Reptar is one of the coolest parts of it. I still sometimes sing, "Reptar, Reptar, gotta find that Reptar!" to myself, ha. Anyway. Very cool connection!

Isn't Reptar just a homage to Godzilla? They look very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBear View Post
    That's really cool. Rugrats was and still is one of my favorite cartoons. I especially love them now that I've an adult because a year ago, I converted to Judaism. There aren't many Jewish holiday specials for kids, except when it comes to Rugrats. I always watch their Hanukkah and Passover episodes around the holidays. That show was really great and Reptar is one of the coolest parts of it. I still sometimes sing, "Reptar, Reptar, gotta find that Reptar!" to myself, ha. Anyway. Very cool connection!
    Yeah! Remember the "Rugrats Chanukah Special"? OMG I really loved that chapter, since it was one of the few cartoons with jewish contents for kids. (I'm Jewish hehe :3 ) ah the good ol' times