Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body shaving before or after or without hormones.

CrinklySiren

Default Body shaving before or after or without hormones.

I'm making this post because I want to see if maybe i'm just unlucky.

I'm posting this in this section because I'm sure many of whether we are LGs or Sissies or TG or little boys, shave our bodies from time to time, or some of us do it all the time. So feel free to chime in on this ~ even though I am trans and will be starting hormones soon, this question applies to everyone who shaves their body as well as other transgirls.

For starters: I havent started hormones yet, but soon i will. However I do present as female full-time; and as you might assume I shave my body hair which is problematic, but the problematic part isnt how much of a pain in the ass it is, its about how certain areas that I shave become PAINFULLY irritated and stay that way until the hair grows back - These areas being my inner thighs, pubic area, back upper thigh, shoulders, collarbone area, and sometimes my butt. My calves, arms, stomach, mid-back, lower thighs and lower back usually never get irritated.

I guess the question im trying to ask is, has this happened to anyone else??? I've been trying everything to try and avoid breaking out into red bumps all over those areas, but it seems like no matter what I do, its inevitable!

For anyone who HAS experienced this, do hormones help with this at all? Or am I doomed to suffer looking hideous in my intimate areas and triangle?! I want to show off my body at the beach and stuff when I'm all filled in, but I wont be able to if it looks like i slept in an ant pile >_<

Things I've tried: Sensitive skin lotion, regular lotion (shave gel OR after-shower lotion) , aveeno soap, aveeno lotion, Salicylic soap, salycylic oil-free acne wash, sugar scrubs, body scrubs, exfoliating scrubs from St. Ives, Dry skin lotions.

NOTHING i do seems to allow me to avoid getting a ridiculous amount of red bumps (and painful ones) in the areas that i wish i could show off... and when my hair grows back its like WIRE and I can feel it literally cutting through the skin.. there's times where I can't even wear pants comfortably because it feels like im covered in QUILLS.

I've tried regular shaving, waxing, and those hair removal creams and its always the same result. I'm dying here -_- if hormones don't help with this, i dont know what im gonna do...

Anyway, sorry for making it so long, i just wanted to make sure i didnt forget to mention anything.

I am not changing sex so I have not idea what you are going thru - but that being noted - about shaving I do know a little something.
    Instead of harsh hair removal creams; waxing and blade shaving have you tried an electric shaver with the cutting edge set just a bit off the skin.
    You should experience no irritation as the hair is trimmed well off the skin. You will have to shave more frequently this way but there will not be the
    irritation of blade shaving; yanking hair out by waxing or burning chemical creams. Treat you skin easy. As for electrolysis or laser wait for those
    later as you may experience reactions of unknown extent and if you do try these do it in small easy to control and treat area.
    I have comment somewhere else in the forum about shaving - look for it and review.
    Blade shaving can be most rewarding if done correctly. Getting the skin up to a warm temperature - soaking the hair long enough to be wilting.
    Using a lube or shaving cream. Shaving with a multi-blade razor going only in direction - never back and forth or reverse which sets up the skin
    for irritation. One neat razor introduced a few years ago and it still available in drug stores and supermarkets Wal*Mart Target etc. is a battery
    operated vibrating razor. This razor does a terrific job of cutting hair cleanly at almost below skin level with no irritation. It is made by Gillette.
    One thing else to note with a blade razor - more blades are better than single or double edge (old school stuff) and when the skin is irritated
    after a dozen shaves plus or minus CHANGE THE BLADE(s) !
    After shaving or any hair trimming action go easy on the lotions; soaps; after shave stuff - try and be as oil lotion virgin free with no chemical
    actions and especially in areas such as the groin and arm pits - suggestion to bathe before not after shaving. Try aloe gel if you want to try
    anything to reduce the irritation.
    Regarding wearing clothing - well ya gots to cover what you gots to cover just make sure it is not tight fitting compression stuff - easy does it !

i get the idea that if left un-shaven, your hairy!
    as a long term post-op and having spent many decades in the life and helping my fellow sisters; your situation is not all that uncommon i assure you.

very few of us are blessed with a nice female-typical hair-volume and growth-pattern. most of us either present as apes or are starting to develop baldness. needless to say, many of us often spend more on hair-control than SRS in the long run..... i did....

may i add that electrolysis is overall way more painful then SRS too!
    but there is no way around it, the hair simply must go if you want to show the skin.

i have heard it said that hormones will make your hair softer and therefor you should wait to get electrolysis after that has happened in hopes that it will be easier. however, having been under the care of the best electrologist in portland oregon at the time (for 4 years). she told me that she much preferred to work on hair that had not been under the influence of estrogen for a long time. she said that the estrogen made the hair softer and harder to extract.....

take this for what it is worth;
    in my opinion, the only way to go is electrolysis as it is permanent. and sooner or later, most girls find this out for themselves, so the sooner the better for their transition. just get it over with and out of the way.

i can tell you from experience, the day i was able to walk out my door with no makeup on, and pass; actually have everyone address me correctly everywhere i went..... well, that day was the best day of my life. no hiding behind a mask any more! what a weight lifted from my shoulders....

no one can see the results of your SRS, that's mostly for function and a sense of completeness.
    but people look at your face (and body) everyday. and honestly, it's your face that makes or breakes your ability to pass.....

Quote Originally Posted by CrinklyEmilyLG View Post

I'm posting this in this section because I'm sure many of whether we are LGs or Sissies or TG or little boys, shave our bodies from time to time, or some of us do it all the time. So feel free to chime in on this ~ even though I am trans and will be starting hormones soon, this question applies to everyone who shaves their body as well as other transgirls.

For starters: I havent started hormones yet, but soon i will. However I do present as female full-time; and as you might assume I shave my body hair which is problematic, but the problematic part isnt how much of a pain in the ass it is, its about how certain areas that I shave become PAINFULLY irritated and stay that way until the hair grows back - These areas being my inner thighs, pubic area, back upper thigh, shoulders, collarbone area, and sometimes my butt. My calves, arms, stomach, mid-back, lower thighs and lower back usually never get irritated.

I guess the question im trying to ask is, has this happened to anyone else??? I've been trying everything to try and avoid breaking out into red bumps all over those areas, but it seems like no matter what I do, its inevitable!

For anyone who HAS experienced this, do hormones help with this at all? Or am I doomed to suffer looking hideous in my intimate areas and triangle?! I want to show off my body at the beach and stuff when I'm all filled in, but I wont be able to if it looks like i slept in an ant pile >_<

Things I've tried: Sensitive skin lotion, regular lotion (shave gel OR after-shower lotion) , aveeno soap, aveeno lotion, Salicylic soap, salycylic oil-free acne wash, sugar scrubs, body scrubs, exfoliating scrubs from St. Ives, Dry skin lotions.

NOTHING i do seems to allow me to avoid getting a ridiculous amount of red bumps (and painful ones) in the areas that i wish i could show off... and when my hair grows back its like WIRE and I can feel it literally cutting through the skin.. there's times where I can't even wear pants comfortably because it feels like im covered in QUILLS.

I've tried regular shaving, waxing, and those hair removal creams and its always the same result. I'm dying here -_- if hormones don't help with this, i dont know what im gonna do...

Anyway, sorry for making it so long, i just wanted to make sure i didnt forget to mention anything.

"..."..."
    Yes!
    Also, try using less pressure, and don't back-shave (for example, if the hair leans to the right...only shave in that direction) and don't worry about being too thorough for a while...get the skin conditioned. Avoid chills/'goose-bumps' during, and for a while after...you don't want to shave the bumps! Try shaving about every 3-days...too soon, you damage the skin more...too long and you start loosing the conditioning to shaving. I used to wait far too long, because like you...I would wind up feeling like I had rolled naked in nettles. Keep your blades clean, and don't use the same one on your face or vice-versa...

I do still get irritations, but not nearly as large an area, or as often...try the micro-blade personal trimmers (the slots should only be big enough to allow hair, not the thin folds of skin in the particularly delicate areas...another reason to be very careful with electric trimmers!)

That's what I can think of for now...good luck with this!
    -Marka

I would like to try the laser method myself, but I'm going to be relegated to shaving for the foreseeable future due to cost (laser, or electrolysis)

CrinklySiren

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    Yes!
    Also, try using less pressure, and don't back-shave (for example, if the hair leans to the right...only shave in that direction) and don't worry about being too thorough for a while...get the skin conditioned. Avoid chills/'goose-bumps' during, and for a while after...you don't want to shave the bumps! Try shaving about every 3-days...too soon, you damage the skin more...too long and you start loosing the conditioning to shaving. I used to wait far too long, because like you...I would wind up feeling like I had rolled naked in nettles. Keep your blades clean, and don't use the same one on your face or vice-versa...

I do still get irritations, but not nearly as large an area, or as often...try the micro-blade personal trimmers (the slots should only be big enough to allow hair, not the thin folds of skin in the particularly delicate areas...another reason to be very careful with electric trimmers!)

That's what I can think of for now...good luck with this!
    -Marka

I would like to try the laser method myself, but I'm going to be relegated to shaving for the foreseeable future due to cost (laser, or electrolysis)
    I have been using much less pressure, but i find that i get a lot of missed spots and it bothers me ~ though shaving against the grain is something i do too often, im going to try avoiding that. I always shave every 2-3 days. I use expensive top of the line razors like Gilette Fusion Pro Glide for my face (its MAGICAL, i can shave up and down and get little to no irritaion), and I use Mach 3 for my body. I use trimmers for areas i can't reach very well with a razor; though i cant use a trimmer on my butt because in the past i have tried and for some reason I get cut and bleed. I plan on getting Laser on my face and possibly underarms or pubic area after a good few months of HRT, i dont wanna spend money on something that could be reduced by HRT. I know it doesn't affect your face, but i've seen rare cases in which some people's faces are affected slightly, and even my endo told me to consider waiting.

I have been using much less pressure, but i find that i get a lot of missed spots and it bothers me ~ though shaving against the grain is something i do too often, im going to try avoiding that. "..."..."though i cant use a trimmer on my butt because in the past i have tried and for some reason I get cut and bleed."..."..."
    The missed spots bother me too, but I'd let that pass for now (temporarily)...and is the same reason why I shave against the grain too, to get that smoothness we wish so desperately for...but, in this case anyway...(physical) pain will not make good gain...you're going to work your way up to the spotless shave. I would consider the HRT just for the hair issues alone, but I don't know that I ever will, or can do it... please don't rush the issue though...until you are getting HRT results, let's see what we can do for smooth...without the repeated damage, and discomfort of getting the perfect shave each time... :-)

Also...I don't know what the real differences are, but I use the 'lady' version of my 5-blade for everything below the chin...mine also has a flip-up part for getting at the crevices...

For those trimmers...they usually run about $15- $20 USD, and it can be difficult to tell if you are getting one with the smallest 'tooth' spacing...that won't allow any skin to get bit! If you are getting a bleed from one...you don't have the right one...

Top of the line or not...you may be over-washing (depleting your natural skin oils)... we're conditioned to buy 'product' for that oh-so lovely feeling...rinse off with pretty warm-hot water, and dilute your body-wash before use...a wash-cloth with said water rinsing you down should be sufficient, unless you've been working under a greasy machine without proper attire...;-)

Also, you may try a virgin coconut oil ('extra' is a borrowed term from olive-oil, and only counts towards paying more), and a corn-starch powder to make a shaving paste... you'll need some hot running water to frequently clear out your razor**

Keep at it without causing damage...the results should pay-off in a few weeks time!

-Marka

I can't help with the hormone question but thought I'd throw a few tips out there for while you're waiting to find out.

I find using a firm nail brush or pumice stone on problem areas a couple of times a week helps a fair bit with shaving problems. Don't use soap or lotions, just water while in the bath or shower and don't go nuts. No burning sensations are needed (unless you enjoy it) but a very mild sting can be ok. Moisturise afterwards. I also find this works to help ease it when everything is getting red and bumpy and helps prepare the area for the next shave. As well, don't shave too often, it's horrible being a hairy female but sometimes we have to give our skin a bit of a break.

I never tried it but there is also a hair removal method called sugaring that isn't heard of much these days. Might be worth looking into to use as an occasional break from shaving or in preparation.

Dear CrinklyEmilyLG
    Yes i do so understand what you are going through. Being an old timer and still living in my male career, hiding was one of my biggest hang ups. One thing that helped was being shaved and smooth under my male clothing. This was my little release and was while in my comfort zone at the time.
    Shaving was done twice a week to prevent those rashes and red bumps. Then i had almost two days to feel smooth or till i couldn't stand it any more. Ten years ago i started laser hair removal and though it took time and money within a year i really noticed the difference. Total body laser hair removal does work for me but it takes time. The results i have found are more then i wished for. How ever this is not the case for my male beard because it is so course, my neck and sideburns are really thin. The evil chin and mustache still grow and electrolysis is my only option for my face. Being hairless undercover was a big decision, till the plan and conviction to go ahead with my beard removal. Once i made that promise to myself i felt so much better. As for hormones one day i hope.
    Sincerely mypet

CrinklySiren

Quote Originally Posted by Treacle View Post
    I can't help with the hormone question but thought I'd throw a few tips out there for while you're waiting to find out.

I find using a firm nail brush or pumice stone on problem areas a couple of times a week helps a fair bit with shaving problems. Don't use soap or lotions, just water while in the bath or shower and don't go nuts. No burning sensations are needed (unless you enjoy it) but a very mild sting can be ok. Moisturise afterwards. I also find this works to help ease it when everything is getting red and bumpy and helps prepare the area for the next shave. As well, don't shave too often, it's horrible being a hairy female but sometimes we have to give our skin a bit of a break.

I never tried it but there is also a hair removal method called sugaring that isn't heard of much these days. Might be worth looking into to use as an occasional break from shaving or in preparation.
    I've heard of sugaring, they say its painful though because it feels like your skin is on fire lol, It works though ~ I've also heard of this ground coffee bean and baking soda, but im not sure if that works because they put caffeine in shampoo to INDUCE hair growth. I've read that sugaring is a lot like waxing though ~ After shaving over the weekend I made sure not to shave against the grain and it seems to have a helped a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mypet View Post
    Dear CrinklyEmilyLG
    Yes i do so understand what you are going through. Being an old timer and still living in my male career, hiding was one of my biggest hang ups. One thing that helped was being shaved and smooth under my male clothing. This was my little release and was while in my comfort zone at the time.
    Shaving was done twice a week to prevent those rashes and red bumps. Then i had almost two days to feel smooth or till i couldn't stand it any more. Ten years ago i started laser hair removal and though it took time and money within a year i really noticed the difference. Total body laser hair removal does work for me but it takes time. The results i have found are more then i wished for. How ever this is not the case for my male beard because it is so course, my neck and sideburns are really thin. The evil chin and mustache still grow and electrolysis is my only option for my face. Being hairless undercover was a big decision, till the plan and conviction to go ahead with my beard removal. Once i made that promise to myself i felt so much better. As for hormones one day i hope.
    Sincerely mypet
    I plan on getting laser on my face after 6 months on hormones, but as for my body; after asking in multiple sites and talking to my psychologist, im gonna wait for hormones to do their work before i put too much or any money into laser for my legs or arms or body. I've heard stories of people going from Robin Williams hairy to completely thinned and practically gone, without the use of laser or electro. And i don't grow that much hair to begin with, i just dont like hair period. So I have hope that maybe i'll get lucky. And then all i have to really worry about is my face.

Your last comment (sentence) "And then all i have to really worry about is my face. "
    Well that is great in that all that you have left is right in front of you and easy to work with !
    No unusual quirky body bends to get to that odd corner where after you have finished you
    can not even check to see if you did the job right correctly without damage.
    One thing for sure after several years of yanking tweezing shaving sugaring epilating waxing electro
    you will eventually be hair free or what remains will be of no consequence and easily taken care
    of in a hurry. It is getting there that is all that painful but that too will pass as you condition yourself.

And as you started out "Body shaving before or after or without hormones." time will tell how much
    hair reduction is a breeze or a real trying task.

Good Luck hope you achieve your dream with little or no pain !